SZECHUAN IMPRESSION
TACOS LEO
TROIS MEC
TSUJITA LA
UNION
WEXLER’S DELI

No Howlin’ Ray’s? :anguished:

they’re on the “freshman 15” list

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/meet-the-freshmen-15-the-up-and-coming-companion-list-to-our-99-essential-restaurants-8035223

1 Like

Dan Sung Sa?

I really like the work Besha is doing. Great stuff and I know there are many list-haters out there but the 99 (along with Gold’s list) do such a favor to diners that aren’t as in the know as some of the FTC denizens.

I know that was an old LA Weekly 99 that got me really interested in food, and for that I’ll be forever be nostalgic.

1 Like

You don’t like Dan Sung Sa?

Yeah, it was Gold’s original list that also got me into food, so I will always find these lists of high-value. And absolutely for sure 99.99999999999999% of people do not take food even remotely as seriously as most FTC’ers. Even reading the big lists might be too much for them to keep up with, never mind having the precision of up-to-date knowledge on the LA food scene to be capable of critiquing the lists down to the most minute details.

I get that’s it’s more of a “fun” discussion topic on here, not not much else (in terms of being informative), but to totally blast the lists as horrific and valueless to the world goes much too far in my opinion.

And how may of these temples have you visited, Master @PorkyBelly?

Well-said, I’m also constantly impressed by the level of writing that goes into the blurbs. Hell, ignore the numbers if you want and just enjoy the fact that Besha and team are doing good write-ups on essential LA places.

It is so interesting that the critic illuminati are not impressed by luv2eat. Wonder why that is…

1 Like

I loved Dan Sung Sa back when there was no English menu and my table was the only one that was not chain-smoking Koreans.

1 Like

I said the exact same thing in the other forum thread about this same list lol

I really do wonder. I mean, everyone knows about Sapp and Jitlada at this point, maybe toss one of them out for some new blood?

And you’re right about the blurbs. I think I like Hatchet Hall’s list blurb more than Gold’s review of it, hah.

The Weekly’s list is also just in alphabetical order, and also categorized by neighborhood if you want (I think?), so it doesn’t seem like the “ranking” issue should come into play at all?

And now it’s horrible?

I’ve enjoyed myself the past couple of times I went over the past few months. I and my friends were the only non-Koreans in the place.

Eh I kind of appreciate the new English menu. Smarter Korean restaurants cater to everyone in the neighborhood. The smoking I kind of do miss though, oddly.

1 Like

I wonder what the 100th restaurant was.

@KatherineSpiers, wanna spill the beans?

The Wendy’s on Vermont and Fountain. I never get my way.

7 Likes

Oooh that chili…

A couple of trips to Dan Sung Sa in 2008 and 2015:

In my opinion a far stronger list than the L.A. Times. I think Besha is at the top of her game.

Also still scratching my head that Q is chosen by both Gold and Rodell to represent high-end sushi in L.A. Places superior to Q in my opinion: Mori, Shunji, Zo, Tanaka, Asanebo, Sushi Park. Maybe even Bar Nozawa and Go’s Mart…

1 Like

luv2eat is like the mori of thai food.

also interesting that luv2eat was the featured restaurant on the 99 list last year…

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/la-weeklys-99-essential-restaurants-of-2016-is-now-live-6611815

2 Likes