LA Weekly (Kevin article) - Sushi Can Be a Transcendental Experience at These 5 Restaurants

Agreed.

As I said before, I don’t disagree with you on the fact that Chengdu Taste (and its brethren) were most definitely not pioneers of Sichuan / Szechuan / Szechwan cuisine in LA. They simply represented a more evolved iteration of the cuisine. Updated, perhaps. Maybe even fusion. Maybe.

Sort of like Mark I was the introduction of the Iron Man suit. The Mark 48 suit in the upcoming Avengers Infinity War might be totally transformative in its modularity, but it is still an Iron Man suit. Still Tony Stark behind that mask. Just like its still those damn peppercorns in those dishes.

2 Likes

if that’s something you like (and wandering even farther off topic), you might consider the cumin noodles now on the menu at liang’s which i tried this past weekend:

what caught me off guard was the latent heat; after about 5 minutes, i started perspiring profusely and went through about 5 napkins.

1 Like

I came to this thread based on the title to say that it sucks that Kevin is still writing for the Weekly and it would be great if he would bucolically cut it out but also damn there’s such great info in this thread and those cumin noodles above look very dope and like several other people here I liked Chung King but not nearly as much as I like Chengdu Taste so basically I think what I’m saying is that this website is great, good job and well done to everyone except Kevin and the new owners of the LA Weekly.

7 Likes

Yum. I went to Liang’s about 2 years a go on your “say-so” and loved it. Need to return.

they’ve expanded into two more locations (which may be more convenient for you depending on whence you hail), though they’ve abandoned the liang’s franchise moniker and adopted the name of the place they first took over in arcadia: “cindys noodleworld” which now also boasts a branch in focus plaza. i fear that the name choice will prompt some from taking them seriously, which would be a shame.

The Atlantic location, South of Garvey, is prob the closest for me - hailing from West LA.

A couple of things to point out…

First, the difference between Chongqing-style and Chengdu-stlye Sichuan. There are differences.

Shufeng Yuan never got/gets enough love around here or CH. Mainly I guess because it has spent most of its time in Rowland Heights, though it did have a location in Focus Plaza for a year, and, somewhat bizarrely, closed a short-lived location on Garvey near Atlantic just as Chengdu Taste was being discovered. The latter was their fault as there was little signage up 'til near the end of a fairly short run (and even then, the signage was in Chinese).

It annoyed me the number of white Westsiders who raved about Chengdu-style dishes and rabbit being on the menu at Chengdu Taste, when Shufeng did some of those exact same dishes, was Chengdu-style and they did/do them quite well.

Hopefully, I’m not telling any tales out of school here, but as Chung King’s star waned, JGold told me he thought Shufeng was probably the best Sichuan around.

3 Likes

I hate to excerpt an overall outstanding post, but this exactly. The gulf was not as great as portrayed, and some of the “unique” was not unique at all. Well stated :+1:

2 Likes

i wasn’t sure but for some reason i thought you were near glendora.

i do really like liang’s though. for reasons i can’t fully articulate i put them in their own category even though most of the menu items suggest a shaanxi regional background.