Lamb Koobideh?

Heidar Barbar.

While I’ve never actually had their lamb koobideh, if their gheimeh gademjan is any indication of what the kitchen elves can do with lamb, then this place should be a serious contender.

1 Like

To me, gamey is an odd barnyard-y funk that you won’t get from regular beef, chicken, or pork. It’s that extra something something that makes it different.

1 Like

I respect what you taste but I don’t. It’s just another flavor of meat. “Funky” might be pig intestine :slight_smile:

Fruity is used to describe some aspects in the profiles of some sake. But I guess since rice,.water and yeast are the ingredients involved, those sake cannot have fruity characters since they are not fruit. :wink::joy::clown_face:

Sure. From Molly Birnbaum, executive editor of Cook’s Science at America’s Test Kitchen:

There is a big reason why lamb tastes like lamb. It is a very distinctive taste; it’s one that we all recognize. It’s one that some people love, and some people really, really don’t love.

But what it all comes down to is its fat and a particular type of fatty acid that lambs have that beef doesn’t. It’s called branched-chain fatty acid. This is something that humans can detect at tiny levels. It’s what gives lamb this gamy, more earthy taste than beef.

I have noticed different people can be more or less sensitive to this taste. For example, my Uncle HATES lamb. Says it always tastes spoiled to him. Could you maybe be at the opposite, less sensitive end of the spectrum?

This board is so weird sometimes…we have approximately 10 posts regarding whether we can call lamb gamy or not lol

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for that. I’m pretty fact-based :slight_smile:

I think I’m likely just as sensitive as those at the other end of the spectrum. I adore that fatty mouth feel :smile:

You’re very welcome! To clarify, I was speculating you might be less sensitive to the fatty acid that gives lamb its gamy taste. Sort of like how cilantro tastes like soap to some people but not others.

i think i’d call it barnyardy before gamy but it’s important… they’re just descriptors

I assume that the sensory mechanism involved in texture is prob very different than the sensory mechanism involved in taste…

FTFY. :grin:

I guess I didn’t describe it well. For me the texture and taste are one great big mouthful of joy :smile:

Aaaaaaah. :wink:

1 Like