L'antica Pizzeria Da Michele

Can I make this even more about me? Cafe des Artistes was the spot of mine and my husband’s first date. The food was okay, but it was sooo romantic. It looks really sterile now. :cry:

2 Likes

Oh boy. Do I want to read it? :grimacing:

dough is a specific type so it’s more chewy than crispy so it is flappy… but most of the moisture is actually coming form fresh mozzarella which is super wet

1 Like

I do like neapolitan style pizza . Had it in Rome and Sorentto . I’m a knife and fork guy . Love the wet center of the pie .

2 Likes

Nothing to add to your excellent report and photos except I really enjoyed the pizza. Tasted just like Naples. Simple and satisfying. It’s pricey especially if you cannot find, or give up to easily to find, street parking and have a valet charge that is 1/2 the meal charge.

2 Likes

Park at Hollywood/Highland and walk over.
(I did not say this. I was not here.)

3 Likes

Ack!!! Thanks for the warning.

Gotta check it out. I assume no one has tried that fried pizza yet? Kinda blew my mind when I was in Naples last year. Couple positive mentions on the Yelp page but not much detail.

Just had their Montanara Pizza (fried and baked pizza, with tomato, smoked mozzarella & basil). And it was excellent. It was thicker than their margherita, of course, and the crust is all sorts of delicious chew and flavor. Nice balance with the sauce and smoked cheese. This one you could eat with your hands. Do it.

10 Likes

Better than their standard margherita?

Just as good, but in a different way. I ordered both, and I’d do it again.

2 Likes

Is it fried then baked—or baked then fried?

Fried then baked is what I was told.

Very exciting, thanks for the report!

1 Like

That was really good. You can read or watch a lot about something and still not fully grasp it. Then there’s that one piece that does it. This was it for me. No criticizing other styles, no bloggy pontificating, just good helpful information. It may not make me like Neapolitan pizza more (not a lover of uncooked sauce or basil or mozzarella and I like a little crunch) but I definitely know what it is now. Thanks!

Picky food people make me sleepy

It’s not picky. It’s a preference. Do you like everything? I like rich red sauces and bold cheeses. Is that Neapolitan? No. Besides, everything makes you sleepy, irritated or bored, unless it’s you.

5 Likes

you just said uncooked sauce, basil, mozarella… that’s kind of a lot! i like everything if it’s well made, yes. unless for trotters and poopshoot of course. i mean no disrespect and said it as gently as i could

Oh stop. It’s not even kind of a lot. I eat it. Hell I even serve it (well, not the uncooked sauce). I have basil plants on my patio. I just don’t crave the subtle flavors of uncooked sauce and mozzarella. The basil which gives it its kick doesn’t help, because I don’t care for basil. But that’s just me! I love that you guys (my buds) are so passionate about this pizza. I’m almost jealous. But I try to learn and appreciate what others are into instead of being a dick about it!

3 Likes

You just tacked this on there.

Hilarious. Gently for you, maybe. But I like you anyway. :kissing_heart: And I’m not picky!

2 Likes