Lao Sze Chuan, Glendale?

Has anyone been to this location of a Chicago-based restaurant empire? We’re going to their new(ish) Minneapolis location this weekend and am trying to calibrate my expectations.

Not the best Chinese restaurant in the US as proclaimed by one listing, but Glendale (allegedly a USC Mainland student hangout) and Chicago are authentically decent. Wouldn’t be surprised if the Minneapolis branch attracts Mainland students at the University of Minnesota.

1 Like

@chandavkl slightly off subject but what would be the best Chinese restaurant in LA in your opinion?

Only off the top of my head, Longo Seafood.

1 Like

The Glendale location was fine. I recall enjoying the well-made dessert of black sesame “tang yuan” (ground sweet black sesame paste in mochi balls, served in sweet soup)…

1 Like

I give it two thumbs up. But with the caveat that I have not been for about a year

1 Like

well, we went today. not only is it not the best chinese restaurant in the u.s, it’s also not the best chinese restaurant in the twin cities metro area–or even the best chinese restaurant in a 1/4 mile radius of its location. but it’s pretty decent with a very legit menu. which is a testament to how popular sichuan cuisine has become in the u.s. i’ll have a proper review in a week or two.

and yes, chandavkl’s guess was right: lots of chinese students from u. of m (it’s located close to the campus).

1 Like

Went last night - now I give 1/2 a thumb up.
Only really good dish was the green water boiled fish.
Everything was under-seasoned and under-spiced.
Dan Dan Mein was notably awful.
Pretty disappointing.

1 Like

This seems to be the general rule with Sichuan menus outside of SGV. The dishes that should be spicy and mala are relatively tame and mild. This issue sends us packing to the SGV.

1 Like

Try the new Sichuan menu at Hop Woo on Olympic and Sawtelle…they are not fooling around. So much better than Lao Sze Chuan.
There’s a new partner there and he’s brought in a real Sichuan chef (or chefs) who knows what he’s doing.
I think you’ll be fairly impressed.

1 Like

Dude you eat more food from Sichuan than a panda these days. :smiley:

1 Like

Makes sense. They lost their chef.

I had been to that place in Chicago about 4 years ago and was super excited when they opened in Glendale. Decided to check it out, but was completely disappointed. Not sure if I didn’t know Chinese food that much 4 years ago (having just moved here from Brazil). But LA has amazing Chinese food, so it’s hard to compete now. Probably anywhere in the SGV is better than this.

1 Like

Is Tony Hu out of jail yet? I know he was given a 1 year sentence but don’t know when he was supposed to report. When LSC Glendale first opened he was in the kitchen.

If not perhaps we can break him out…this place needs help :slight_smile:

And here now is my review of the Minneapolis location.