Las Vegas recommendations

Thank you SO much for all of this.

1 Like

I went when they first opened, i guess i forgot to post about it. I’ll see if I still have my pics.

1 Like

How did you enjoy your experience there, @PorkyBelly?

I’ve started spending so much more money on Lyft when visiting Vegas between all the trips to LoS, Raku and Chinatown. But still better and cheaper than dining on the strip.

1 Like

That’s why I’m reluctant to look for an airbnb-equivalent. I don’t know LV really at all and don’t want to wind up out in East D-F.

i thought it was pretty good with a lot of potential and a really good value compared to places on the strip. if you’re there in the fall or winter their duck pithivier looks insane

1 Like

We’ve missed the duck pithivier by one week. They just changed over to their summer menu.

Aria Crawl/Bang
Highly successful and will do this every time we stay here. FTC is always on point.
We perhaps ordered too much at LoS and did not have the appetite to go full scale on our Aria crawl.
Bardot -
Perfect frites with a garlicky aioli that I will happily eat with anything. The Midnight in Paris cocktail was a perfect drink…grapefruit, orange…super refreshing on a warm day. I had two.
Carbone -
The folks manning the bar here are on point. Gregarious and knowledgeable. And if you need a stiff old-school cocktail, come here. The margarita and the White Lady (it has egg white!) were solid, well-balanced, and are like cocktails of old yore. We only had room for the Caesar salad, and they brought out the full gamut of welcome dishes for us…lovely chunks of parm, picked cauliflower, a full bread basket of 3 different types of fresh bread, and salami. If I wasn’t so full from the last two stops, I could easily polish off more than 3 pieces of parm. The salami came to room temperature and had a lovely barnyard-y funk that I adore. The salad was easily the best Caesar salad I’ve ever had…garlicky, creamy, cheesy, and super well-dressed without being overdressed. Going to have to eat this every time we stay here. We even got the lovely rainbow cookies, too. Service was exceptional at the bar.

Julian Serrano -
Met my cousins who arrived into town late for the last stop. The Pineapple Smash cocktail is super refreshing and delightful, if you are a pineapple fan. We were pretty full from our other stops so we only tried the pan con tomate and the paella Valenciana. Pan con tomate is one of my favorite Spanish tapas, and this one does not disappoint…fresh tomatoes rubbed on crispy garlic-scented bread with a drizzle of Spanish olive oil. The paella…I had problems with it. The chicken was hideously overcooked and there was little to no soccarat in the pan. But the cousins were hungry and they didn’t mind. Also ordered the tuna cones (which they loved) and the asparagus a la plancha (gotta have something fresh and green). I’ve been to both Julian Serrano and Jaleo and I think I’m more of a Jaleo fan…also you lose me when I don’t get soccarat. We walked in at 10PM and the kitchen closes at 10:30PM, so that may have had something to do with it.

4 Likes

nice banging. glad you got to try carbone’s caesar, it really is perfect. and gotta love those crispy, chewy croutons. next time try the off-menu meatballs, probably the best i’ve ever had. now they just need to open for lunch, dammit.

2 Likes

No luck at Jaleo either when I went.

1 Like

Sparrow + Wolf
Pre-Raku bang. It was great that Sparrow + Wolf is different with a full bar program and different dishes. We did cocktails and lighter snacks at the bar.
The cocktails here was just stupendous. Well-thought out and balanced…and a steal at $14 for the most expensive drink.
Pretty Bird - gin based with citrus and elderflower

Pineapple refresher - gin-based with pineapple, chocolate and spices

Charcuterie and formage - spicy coppa, prosciutto, and moubiere (sp?)

Charred broccoli

Barbecued salsify

Loved the service at the bar. Ashley makes great drinks and is so enthusiastic.

6 Likes

Found a great breakfast place. It’s actually open 24/7.

1 Like

WC, inching ever closer westward to L.A.

This will definitely help the cause

Dammit White Castle, would ya come to L.A. already?!

We found one in Jean, NV. Sooooo much better than the previously frozen ones.

I know not really talked about but

What the best buffet right now?

Not Bacchanal for sure…it was horrible when I went this past Monday. Brisket was the only good thing there.

Anyone have good recs for a late night ish meal in downtown vegas? Looking at Flock and Fowl, which looks…fine?

Does it have to be downtown? If not, Oyster Bar at the Palace Station is open 24/7 if you don’t mind the wait for some scrumptious pan roast.

I liked Flock & Fowl, and the Detroit pizza at Pizza Rock was pretty great and super decadent. Also enjoyed Tacos El Gordo when I went at the end of a looooong night (so take that with a grain of salt / ymmv)