LAT: How long lines keep Porto's Bakery affordable — and growing

Clam chowder and chili were the staple soups.

I don’t even want to go into the Blues Festival days. Drinking age was dropped to 18; I remember seeing Johnny Winter and Luther Allison jam together at a bar on Ashley. It might have been Mr. Flood’s Party.

You’re right though. We should quit hijacking the thread. Great to reminisce with you, @secretasianman and @helper_monkey at any rate.

1 Like

No need to end the party here - Take it to the USA Midwest Board!

1 Like

Who remembers this guy?

OK, back to fighting about Cuban sandwiches.

Randomly, Portos does a great clam chowder Friday’s. Is there a better clam chowder in the city for $4?

Philippe’s the Original.

Well, you asked…

I will work on it.

Ok seriously is Portos cutting their ground beef with olives? There is a distinct taste of olives IMO.

They changed several of their recipes in the last couple years. I posted about it on the old board a while back. The potato balls aren’t as dense, with more peppers and olives in the filling (it’s looser too), and the ham croquettes are more of a coarse grind ham mixed with mashed potato, not a smooth mix like it used to be.

We don’t get as much stuff from them as we used to.

I stopped getting pies/cakes - the presentation is really sloppy now. The last crumb cake I got was way too sweet as well. Potato balls and meat pies I don’t love anymore due to taste of olives.

Raspberry kisses / clam chowder / cheese rolls still good though…

Olives has always been a part of Cuban Picadillo. Perhaps they are using cheaper ones or adding more to keep the costs low. For some reason our booker always schedules our focus groups near a Portos. So consistently over the years from the Burbank, Glendale and Downey locations, everyone still stops by with yellow boxes.

Best thing at Portos: Dulce de Leche Kisses. One of the best cookies in the city.

Best Cuban sandwich in L.A.: Del Rey Deli. Been to Miami, this monster blows 75% of those there out of the water.

https://twitter.com/Dommy_in_LA/status/367099718960041984/photo/1

–Dommy!

2 Likes

That’s the point - when I first started going to Portos, I didn’t notice the taste of the olives. Now I taste the olives.

As an olive hater, this is now a problem.

2 Likes

I guess either our tastebuds are fucked or nobody cares, because we were the only ones talking on that thread.

1 Like

With that bread?:unamused:
I’ll have to try it. Always on the hunt for a decent cubano in this city!

p.s. Tampa cubanos blow Miami out of the water :slight_smile:

Try this Cubano at Habana Vieja (Torrance)…

1 Like

With that bread?:unamused:

The bread looks thick, but is wonderfully CRISP and soft. Not 100% authentic, but the housemade fillings more than make up for it.

Tampa cubanos blow Miami out of the water :slight_smile:

And I’m not a fan of Tampa Cubanos. Pickles and Salami?!!. No.

–Dommy!

1 Like

Oh I have always liked the cheese rolls better then the guava cream cheese pastries. Always. So no shame there!

And belatedly I say - did you try the thanksgiving potato balls this year (17)? They were great!

Yes. Yes they were. A lot better than their current meat blend that’s for sure :slight_smile:

Pickles are a must. Salami on the other hand… I never noticed that at the Tampa spots. Most of them do offer the option of lettuce which is untraditional but adds a nice touch.

I cut way back on gluten. Porto’s guava cheese strudel is one item I miss the most, so it’s worth a cheat day occasionally.

1 Like

Porthos is a Musketeer. He’d probably like Porto’s.

1 Like