Le Creuset Grill Pans

Okay, never mind. I thought you were responding to me. :slightly_smiling_face: @LAgirl is trying to have hers cooked thru more. You’re right, lower the heat. Carry on.

Edit: I do actually have a question. How do you like your meat? Do you like a really crispy char on the outside and rare to med-rare on the inside?

Mine look like this when I do them on medium.

Tender, tasty, but no char, fat not rendered enough, no crispy caramelization and too done on the inside. We’re talkin’ indoor grilling and expectations are already low on these things.

Perfect . I really don’t like the char

1 Like

Oh phew. Got it. It’s a matter of taste.

1 Like

I had the flame on medium, just let the pan sit on the heat a bit longer. The outside wasn’t over crusted/charred, but had a decent char. I just think the steak was a little too think for only the stovetop… probably needed a little time in the oven too. I think @TheCookie idea of a slightly thinner steak would do the trick w/out the oven.

We’ve been doing some super thin (3/4"?) steaks lately for breakfast. I do it completely on the cooktop. Get the CI skillet almost but not quite screaming hot. Cook the seasoned steak (no oil) 90 seconds to a minute each side. We like ours rare.

1 Like

We only have a large charcoal grill. It’s great, but requires some forethought and to be honest on a weekday night, it’s not worth it.

I’ve owned LC grill pans for over 15 years. My first was a double handled that came in a set. Similar to this…

https://www.lecreuset.com/reservoir-grill/L2034.html

Then I dropped it and one of the handles broke. I had for a good long while… and we have a large grill pan that came with our Electrolux Stove. So I didn’t even think of replacing it but I got the handled grill pan as part of my mystery box last year. I was thrilled to have it back…

https://www.lecreuset.com/reservoir-grill/L2034.html

I use it mainly to grill veggies. Thin slices of Zuchinni, Yellow Squash, Asparagus, Thick Slices of Red or Sweet Onion. It makes for quick sides and really yummy additions to anything like quinoa.

For meats, I am not a big fan of burgers on a grill pan. I prefer them on your standard cast iron, or on the charcoal grill. The same with Steaks. Anything that requires a good sear/crust, you are better off on the griddle vs. the grill. However, I do love marinated meats on a grill pan. One of my favorite quickie meals is the Trader Joes Chicken Schwarma or Harissa Chicken done on a grill pan. You can also use your own marinades as well. I butterfly chicken breasts (heart shape) as well for salads.

As for clean up. After you serve and the pan is still hot but not SUPER HOT. Spray just or drizzle on some water. Not a lot but this help loosen up the charry bits easier when cleaning later.

–Dommy!

2 Likes

In addition to de-glazing, the chain mail scrubbers also work well w/o stripping seasoning. I think this is the one we have:
https://www.amazon.com/Ringer-Original-Stainless-Cleaner-Patented/dp/B00FKBR1ZG

1 Like

I ended up doing burgers 2 days in a row last week…and I agree. The 1st night I used the grill pan, and the second night a stainless pan. Because the burger cooks directly in it’s fat (in the flat pan) it got much more of a charred crust than the grill pan burger. I’d give the burger advantage to the flat pan.

1 Like

@LAgirl: just “remembered” that we were talking about LC grill pans. Not sure if the scrubber would work on an enameled surface. For our enameled LC stuff, we deglaze to get rid of the charred bits and then use a small amount of Easy Off (blue cap only; not the horrible stuff in the yellow cap) and a green scouring pad for stubborn stains. I think you’re not “supposed” to use Easy Off, but we’ve never had a problem…

1 Like

Thanks!

I’ve just been using a “scrubby sponge” that is supposedly non-scratch. That seems to work fine so far.

1 Like