Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

Is 20 minute wait time around 1pm pretty consistent these days? I want to go next week. Only been once and waited 90 minutes the last time. 20 minutes I can do.

?

1 Like

Has anyone tackled the Howlin’ + . Saw some video on YouTube.

Hi @Emglow101,

We sat next to someone who did. :grinning: That person’s friend first tried Level 5 X-Hot (“You’ve Been Warned”). She started crying after a couple of bites (because of sheer heat). Then he tried the Level 6.5 Howlin’+.

He only took one bite: I remember he uttered the words “It’s not so bad…” after which a few seconds later, he started to cry, quickly reaching for his drink, trying to wipe off any seasoning from his mouth and was visibly sweating. He looked like he was in great pain. :cold_sweat: (He also didn’t eat anything the rest of the time we were there, just trying to gulf down ice tea repeatedly.)

3 Likes

My coworker pounds the howling+ no problem. He’s also not human.

6 Likes

Them robots taking all our jobs

6 Likes

In case people are curious about wait times for Howlin’ and miss the other thread…

Update XX:

@js76wisco was wondering what the wait was like at 1 p.m. We’re not sure, but this is what it looked like at 10:20 a.m. on a weekday (above). We were 6th in line (the other 5 people were just sitting on the bench). :slight_smile: I haven’t seen Howlin’ Ray’s front door this empty since the early days when we showed up ahead of time. :wink:

So @js76wisco @Sgee and others, if you’re able to make it on a weekday brunch hour, that might be your best bet. Note that by 10:30 a.m. there were 15 - 20 people and by 11:00 a.m. opening, the line wrapped around to Chego’s front door. But it still seemed to move pretty fast (now that they’re more efficient these days).

(Complimentary) Fried Pickles:

If they have time, ask them for some Fried Pickles, and they might make a batch. They are delightfully crispy and crunchy yielding a nice salty-piquant inside from their excellent Pickles. :slight_smile:

The Sando (Boneless Breast, Slaw, Comeback Sauce, Pickles, Butter Bun), Level 2 “Mild” Style (“Brush of Heat”):

Taking a bite… Pillowy soft Bun (that doesn’t disintegrate and holds up), crunchy Slaw giving way to the perfect crispy-crunchy Free-Range Fried Chicken Breast. The Comeback Sauce and all of the flavors and that light burning heat from Level 2.

SO GOOD! :heart:

It really puts to shame every single other Fried Chicken Sandwich around L.A. and is the best one we’ve ever tried. :blush:

Market Side: Collard Greens:

It is when you’ve had a bite of Chef Zone and Howlin’ Ray’s Collard Greens, long stewed, slow-cooked goodness, not too salty, intensely savory (from some of the Pork Belly in the base and balanced seasonings) that you realize just how amazing the Collard Greens are. :heart:

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), Level 1 "Country” Style (“No Heat”):

Just look at the gorgeous golden crust. The lack of oiliness. Then taking a bite…

If Joy could be encapsulated in a single bite, it might very well be in taking a bite of Howlin’ Ray’s Fried Chicken. It begins with a crispiness and crunchiness, yielding directly into perfectly seasoned, moist, juicy Chicken meat within. The Free Range Chicken tastes of quality, the blend of seasoned batter, fat completely rendered out, moist, juicy Chicken meat within is just :heart: :heart: :heart:!

It is SO far beyond every single Fried Chicken place we tried on the Fried Chicken journey, there is no comparison. :blush:

Fried Chicken Wing, Level 3 “Medium" Style (“Feel The Burn”):

Perhaps it’s been a while since we last visited, or they might’ve adjusted their spice level slightly, but @CiaoBob @paranoidgarliclover @J_L and others might be happy to know that Level 3 Medium is slightly hotter and spicier (for those that felt Level 3 wasn’t hot enough and Level 4 (with the introduction of the Ghost Chili Pepper is too hot)).

This was perfectly fried and the heat level was great! There was a nice bit of heat without being unpleasant, and it just added to the happiness that is the crispy-crunchy Fried Chicken Wing (@TheCookie). :blush:

Howlin’ Ray’s continues to be consistently delicious and awesome in its execution of great Fried Chicken and Fried Chicken Sandwiches and Collard Greens (and all of the Off-Menu fun). Perhaps the most encouraging and great aspect is that Chef Zone hasn’t manned the line since the early days, and his staff (even with new hires to run the expanded kitchen capacity) delivers the same level of great, perfectly cooked Fried Chicken and the entire operation is run like a professional, Michelin-starred kitchen… that happens to be playing and bopping to “California Love” by 2Pac and Dr. Dre.

Just awesome. :blush:

Tuesday - Sunday
11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Now Open on Tuesdays as well.

Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken
727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 935-8399

9 Likes

Update XX:

@Sgee and others, this past Tuesday at 11:00 a.m. (opening) there were over 120 people in line. :open_mouth: We saw a smattering of “I Voted” stickers, and at least half looked like they were college / high school kids, which makes you wonder what are they doing out of school?! :stuck_out_tongue:

Shake Fries - Mario Style:

Yes, beneath this seeming heap of “stuff” are Howlin’ Ray’s crispy French Fries. :sweat_smile: The Off-Menu “Mario Style” Fries were so popular that they’ve added it to the menu permanently. It’s essentially the crispy Shake Fries topped with an entire Skinny Jimmy (Boneless Fried Chicken Breast), Level 3 Medium, with their delicious Slaw and Comeback Sauce.

It looks like a mess, but it’s actually quite tasty, with the crunchy chunks of their All-Natural Fried Chicken Breast (diced after frying to make it more bite sized), their Slaw is already quality and refreshing, and the Comeback Sauce has always been great in their Chicken Sando, so it makes sense that it all works together. :slight_smile:

(NEW) Fried Chicken Tenders, “Country” Style (“No Heat”), Level 1:

Part of the line might be attributed to Howlin’ Ray’s debuting their new Fried Chicken Tenders according to Chef Zone (who was as affable and welcoming as always). These are using All-Natural Chicken and they seem like actual halves of the Chicken Breast (deboned) instead of some “pressed Chicken blob” found with most other Chicken Tenders around town.

The batter is crispy, but interestingly, it’s not as crunchy as their regular Fried Chicken. It comes with 4 Tenders per Order (a lot of Chicken!), so we opted to split it with half of them with Level 1 Country (No Spice) and the other half at Level 3 (below).

Just look at how juicy the Fried Chicken Tenders are:

This was moist, juicy and delicious. :blush:

Fried Chicken Tenders, “Medium” Style (“Feel the Burn”), Level 3:

As moist and juicy as the Level 1 Country Tenders, however, at Level 3 Medium, it’s just that perfect harmony of Chicken meat, spices, heat and flavor. We definitely prefer the Level 3 over Level 1 Country (Plain), and we normally don’t eat that spicy. :slight_smile:

Fried Chicken White (Breast & Wing), “Mild” Style (“Brush of Heat”), Level 2:

Next up was their bone-in Fried Chicken Breast & Wing. Taking a bite:

Just cooked through moist juicy Chicken Breast meat, so flavorful with whatever brine Howlin’ Ray’s and Chef Zone must use. The exterior is perfect crispy-crunchy (something most places locally fail to achieve). It is outstanding, and just superior to the Boneless Chicken Tenders in every way. Even white meat haters might love Howlin’ Ray’s version (@CiaoBob). :wink:

Market Side - Macaroni Salad:

While this won’t make us forget about Chef Zone’s amazing Jalapeno Mac & Cheese side (during their early days), this Macaroni Salad is a nice departure from the various fried offerings. Tender Macaroni, bits of fragrant Red & Green Bell Peppers and a nice creamy finish. :slight_smile:

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Country” Style (“No Heat”), Level 1:

And of course, their Fried Chicken Leg and Thigh, classic preparation in its purest form, Level 1 Country (No Heat). Biting into it is the perfect crispy-crunch, not oily or greasy, juicy, perfectly cooked through as well (they cook the dark meat and white meat separately with different timings to make sure nothing is overcooked). It’s not overly salty like many other places, and is just Fried Chicken perfection! :heart: :blush:

(Secret Menu) Fried Chicken Tenders “Ron Style” (Fried Chicken Tenders, Medium+ (“Feel the Burn”+), Level 3+, with Grilled Cheese on Top:

Apparently there’s already a Secret Menu item for the new Fried Chicken Tenders, created by one of the Howlin’ Ray’s staff because that’s what they started eating all the time during their break. :sweat_smile: It’s presented as Level 3+, so spicier than Medium, edging into Level 4 “Hot” territory, which means there’s probably a tiny dash of Ghost Chili Peppers. :open_mouth: It’s then topped with Grilled Cheese, just because.

I love my Fried Chicken as pure and direct as possible, but this dish worked: The Medium+ heat was definitely spicier than Medium (duh), but not to the point that I was suffering (like Level 4). :sweat_smile: The melted Grilled Cheese also worked pretty well, giving it a contrast from the crispy-crunchy.

Howlin’ Ray’s continues to be consistently great, delivering the best Fried Chicken in L.A. The kitchen staff is still run like a well-oiled high-end fine dining restaurant, but way more friendly as well. The new Fried Chicken Tenders are worth a try for those that enjoy that style; they are quite delicious, especially with some heat (order at least Level 2 or 3 with it). But we’ll probably be sticking with their awesome crispy-crunchy heaven that is their Fried Chicken (Bone-In), and their Sando (Fried Chicken Sandwich).

Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken
727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 935-8399

14 Likes

Uh, yumm!

I’m a “country level” girl, but I would get the tenders a little hot too. We’re getting into bar food territory. Do they have ranch dressing? :grin:

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

No Ranch dressing. But getting the Tenders Level 2 Mild or Level 3 Medium would be great / stand on its own.

Oh, and you can just ask Chef Zone and staff for some Comeback Sauce (which would probably work nicely here). :slight_smile:

1 Like

PSA: https://howlinholidaypopup.com/products/holiday-gift-card-fastpass™-set

16 hour sale.

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

11 Likes

I really did not need to buy that.

Thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

WOW! :open_mouth:

Thank you. Worth every goddamn penny.

2 Likes

This is perfect for @TheCookie and @attran99 to bypass the line! :wink:

2 Likes

YW

This guy! Fucking amazing!
Thank you!

1 Like

Oops @Chowseeker1999 -

I accidentally muted the Howlin’ Ray’s thread and just saw your shoutouts. Too bad they’re closed for the year :disappointed_relieved: I need to go downtown again. HR was definitely on the agenda!

:rooster: 2019!

1 Like

I used my Fast Pass today. I arrived, paid, ate and left in 20 minutes. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

12 Likes

@A5KOBE walking to the front of the line like

i think i’ll wait to use mine during a holiday weekend to gain maximum pleasure

13 Likes

Me eating my batters box tonight.

9 Likes