Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

What spice level did you have? I’ve been sticking to mild so that I just get a little kick without getting kicked in the gut. Medium should be fine too. Anything hot or above and you should take the rest of the day off.

Damnit i want dat chicken bad

3 Likes

NSFW tags next time plz.

2 Likes

I got cluckin hot and paid for it. How soon can i go back?

Tomorrow.

Update 2:

Hearing so many recommendations for their Fried Chicken Sandwich, I wanted to go back (and drag some other friends with me to try it out). :slight_smile:

The Sandwich (Boneless Breast, Slaw, Comeback Sauce, Pickles, Butter Bun):

Visually from seeing @theoffalo’s pics, and seeing it in person, I knew this was going to be special. It wasn’t some cookie-cutter, preformed perfectly round patty seen in fast food joints. Nope, Howlin’ Ray’s version is rustic and rugged and organically shaped, LOL. Took a bite.

Wow! @theoffalo @Haeldaur @A5KOBE were right! This was a fantastic Fried Chicken Sandwich! :blush: This thing puts to shame every other Fried Chicken Sandwich I’ve had so far! It makes the gourmet Fried Chicken Sandwiches at the trendy places around town feel like Chick fil A, seriously.

It’s crunchy, juicy, moist and tender. Chef Zone has tenderized the Fried Chicken Breast so you get this pleasing bite of lean, but juicy and supple Chicken Breast with each bite. It’s saltier than their traditional Fried Chicken, probably from the Comeback Sauce, but it has a nice crunch from the Pickles, the Butter Bun is soft and tender and when I think about the “Mother Clucker” I had at Belcampo (which has their own all-natural Chickens), it puts it to shame.

Belcampo’s Mother Clucker:

Belcampo’s was soggy breading, extremely bland meat (inside), and not very satisfying at all.

Back to Howlin’ Ray’s wonderfulness… on Weekends Only, they serve…

Fried Chicken & Waffles:

Chef Zone makes each Waffle to order, piping hot and fresh, and it shows. Their housemade Waffles are SO GOOD! It’s toasted, crisped, yet fluffy on the inside, and light and airy! Seriously some of the best Waffles I’ve had in a long time. :heart:

You have a choice of any section of the All-Natural, Cage-Free Chicken, so I chose Dark (Leg & Thigh). Chef Zone mentions that they’re making their Chickens in smaller and smaller batches to keep it piping hot, and wow it was piping hot, just out of the fryer!

We got it Country Style (No Spice), and even on this 3rd visit, their Chicken is still my favorite. Crispy, crunchy exterior, mouth-wateringly tender, fresh-tasting Chicken on the inside. And it tastes light (not greasy), with a clean Peanut Oil flavor, which lends fragrance.

Howlin’ Ray’s not only makes the best Fried Chicken in L.A., they make the best Chicken & Waffles with those fresh Waffles. :slight_smile:

Market Side: Macerated Berries + Lemon Zest:

Their Market Side today was fresh Macerated Berries with Lemon Zest. The blend of Strawberries, Blueberries and Raspberries were sweet, but not overly sweet, and the Lemon Zest added a nice counter flavor (tart, citrus) to the side. It was delicious.

I can’t believe they just opened, as Chef Johnny Zone is running a clean, well-organized kitchen (you can hear them barking out orders and keeping things moving along at a good pace). Howlin’ Ray’s = Awesome Fried Chicken. Can’t wait to go back! :slight_smile:

Initial Hours (extended Hours will be added once they settle in):

Wed - Sun
11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken
727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 935-8399

9 Likes

o.k., line “moved along moderately.”

please, how long did y’all wait, from the time you showed up until the time you took your
first bite?

thank you.

Hi @theoffalo,

Great pic. :slight_smile: So what heat level did you get? How was it today?

Didn’t you love the Chicken & Waffles? So good!

i got in line around 10:58 and put my mouth around that motherclucker at 11:40. i was order #16

1 Like

@linus I got in line at 11:05am. I don’t remember exactly when I got to the front of line to order nor when I actually got the food, but it was probably 20 minutes for each leg. I was #20. Note that they didn’t open the door for several minutes after I got there, maybe not until 11:10am.

@Chowseeker1999, I ordered Mild.

Don’t you have kids? Did you drag them w/ you that early in the morning??? :wink:

I have two but only brought one. The teenager didn’t wake up before we had to leave. And waking up at 10am and leaving at 10:30am is not that early…

I didn’t take note of the opening time b/f I wrote my comment. :wink:

Head over there now to try it myself. We’ll see how long the line is!

So how long was it? Twss.

He coulda said it, too… Ahem.

Too long. Partner was hungry, and the line was so long that we were actually pushed out of the covered area. I’m assuming it must’ve been at least 40 people deep, and one person in another group asked people who were halfway through the line how long they had already been waiting (15-20 min, I think).

So, thanks to @A5KOBE’s post, we ended at Little Jewel (which I was fine w/, since I had never been). Delicious. Will be happy to visit Howlin’ Ray’s when the initial hype dies down and the lines are shorter! :smiley:

It seems like Howlin’ Ray’s is bringing in good business for Little Jewel too.

@paranoidgarliclover “Will be happy to visit Howlin’ Ray’s when the initial hype dies down and the lines are shorter!” Me too. But a big shout out to the pioneers willing to do it?

3 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Bummer you couldn’t get to try Howlin’ yet. Hope you get to soon. :slight_smile: If you’re able to get there earlier, even on opening weekend, if you get there right at 11:00 a.m. (or a few min before), the line isn’t that bad.

But if not, yah, give it a few weeks and then try.

Glad you liked Little Jewel. What did you get there? :slight_smile:

Will put that in the weekend run down (when I get time to download my phone pics!) since I don’t want to derail the thread. :slight_smile:

Hey Everybody - How are the sides? Any suggestions? My friend wants to come in town and go. But she’s really into southern sides.