Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

I’m def gonna hit it up once the crowds die down. I see future bang^nth for me.

Pok Pok wings
Little Jewel poboy
Howlin Rays chix sand
Phoenix strawberry cake

6 Likes

Pic in Eater LA, nice-

Thanks @BubblyOne.

@linus @A5KOBE the lines move pretty quick especially if you go off-peak (before 11:30am and presumably mid-afternoon 2-4).

3 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

I hear you! :slight_smile: I get wary of pork belly and really fatty stuff like short ribs, brisket LOL.

I’d have to say, the Fried Chicken Breast (lean meat! ;), didn’t feel greasy or heavy at all.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I fear the weekend might be worse as far as queuing. We shall see.

@Chowseeker1999 @linus - Popeyes’ Red Beans & White or Dirty Rice is the bomb. Albeit an unhealthy bomb… all in moderation. I don’t even want to think about the torture that was the life of a fast food chicken.

@theoffalo - Chicken & Waffles made with quality, free-range chicken? You’ve made my day.

Have you guys ever done Fried Chicken as DOTM?

Thanks @TheCookie. :slight_smile: Although I’d love to see Chef Zone’s version of Organic Red Beans & Rice, or his Organic Collard Greens. Hopefully he’ll add them soon. :slight_smile:

I think he had some of those sides during the truck days? Maybe @theoffalo remembers.

1 Like

4 easy steps to happiness:

1. Go to Popeye’s on Tuesday for $1.49 thigh/wing and $1.99 Red Beans & Rice
  2. Break up crispy chicken skin from thing/wing onto red beans & rice
  3. Ravage chicken skin/rice
  4. Pass out from food coma

so good David Chang would put that shit in a thimble and charge $7 for it as a snack.

8 Likes

In my day, that Tuesday Special was $0.99…

@Chowseeker1999 I don’t believe HRHC ever had red beans and rice. They did have collard greens as a special once. They mostly had a blackeyed peas salad, potato salad, pimento mac salad, and a cole slaw as their sides, back on the truck. Later they added the hot shake fries.

@TheCookie I am looking forward to trying that chicken and waffles this weekend hopefully.

2 Likes

@OMG… Yes!

i remember reading somewhere popeye’s was the one “fast food”
place food journalists and chefs could agree on was great.

It’s been too long, but I felt Popeye’s used to be much better years ago, before they did their national fast food / chain explosion (and perhaps compromised / streamlined their recipes in the process?).

1 Like

Sounds like a place worthy of a fried chicken splurge. I used to like the fried chicken and catfish at Louisiana Fried Chicken (and Chinese food). The West Hollywood location I used to frequent is no more, but I found the one on Fair Oaks in Pasadena to be decent. It’s been years since I’ve been though, so try at your own risk :wink:

Chefs eat a lot more fast food than people think. I wonder why. Is it the hours they keep maybe?

1 Like

@chinchi - I miss Golden Bird.

Oh yes, Golden Bird! I forgot about them. We used to frequent the one in the Ladera Heights Shopping Center. Order of fried chicken and hush puppies followed by a nap, ha!

1 Like

Part of the reason chefs eat more fast food than people think… is that most line cooks, and even “chefs” do not make a whole lot of money. Most certainly cannot afford to dine out at fine restaurants on a regular basis.

That makes sense, but there also does seem to some fascination/admiration for certain fast food. Just ask Ludo: Questlove on Instagram: "Only way I can describe how @chefludo (l) & @dcpatterson (r) are changing the game is Like a hip hop head hearing the Pete Rock "Shut Em Down" rmx & Primo's production on Gang Starr's "Dwyck" for the 1st time.---but hearing Ludo say this is like Sly Stone giving The Archies some props (actually he's right kinda: euro McDonald's is on another level) learn about these two in #SomethingToFoodAbout (y'know that book I released last week?)"

1 Like