Let's talk about pandan

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Oh! I love Taro. Is 7 Leaves pretty good? and can you order Half / Light Sugar? (Their website says the Taro Milk Tea has 49 grams(!) of Sugar.) :open_mouth: :sweat_smile:

i tried ordering half sugar from them, but they say they can only do “less sugar”

so I order “less sugar” or “less sugar less ice” and let the ice melt a bit

it’s a very very sweet and flavorful drink, just like all their drinks, so best to let them water down a tad

Edit: I like their house iced coffee, same as above, i do “less sugar less ice”

Also you can try adding their sea cream/foam to the mung bean/pandan drink to add some savoriness.

2 Likes

If you do go to VP, they tend to make more (of everything) during the weekends, and it’s best to get there before noon time.

I usually go before 10am, but a few times I have gone after lunch… numerous items (esp pandan doufu fa and regular doufu fa) are sold out by noon

3 Likes

Had a last minute trip to Irvine, so made it to Van’s Bakery and picked up a slice of cake and a macaron. pandan flavor was quite subtle, but it did scratch that itch. Thank you @hanhgry

@A5KOBE just followed their IG and hoping pandan will pop up. Thanks for the tip!

10 Likes

I firmly blame @Sgee for this.

7 Likes

:joy: :joy:

OG Prep :point_down:

7 Likes

Binchotan. #JeetKuneBaoDreamsOfKopitiam

1 Like

How is it? Very curious about the salted caramel one. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a pandan/salted caramel and lime sambal order. :thinking:

How woild you compare Kopitiam (NY) vs the kopitiams in Malaysia/Singapore? The kaya toast, coffee, food items, and ambiance (probably lack of retired Uncles lounging around I am guessing lol) Does it scratch the itch? I am drooling over that charcoal grilled toast.

Its different than what I’m accustomed to. Perhaps regional differences… yes that must be it

Not available without one way ticket to Honolulu but senia created a pandan rhubarb summer strawberry brown butter struesel ice cream. It was so delicious with a very strong pandan flavor

8 Likes

I really like the “plain” pandan kaya and will definitely order it again. It’s better than anything else I’ve gotten locally (which granted is slim pickings).

I tried the salted caramel this morning alongside the plain one. (Sorry need to work my way to that OG prep above!) The salted caramel spread tastes like a nice salted caramel jam, but it doesn’t taste like kaya. Whereas I ate a bite of the plain stuff afterward and you immediately get that that infusion of coconut, egg, and pandan fragrance. I probably wouldn’t order the salted caramel again but am glad I tried it.

5 Likes

@NYCtoLA - thanks for the feedback, maybe I won’t get the salted caramel then.

Wanderlust has a flavor that has pandan “noodles”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CECh_gKpK2-/?igshid=z748x6drvah9

2 Likes

@MalibuT Wanderlust also has a seasonal pandan tres leches flavor that is really good! It only pops up every once in a while but they rotate their seasonal flavors monthly.

description: “Sweet cream ice cream with ribbons of condensed milk and pieces of pandan sponge cake.”

4 Likes

i liked that one too… i got 3 pints last time and this one was for me

2 Likes

I didn’t know what pandan was until I saw Lee’s Sandwiches start selling pandan waffles (which my sister loved) next to their custard filled corn-shaped cakes up by the cashier. Nice to know that it’s the vanilla of Asia.

1 Like

4 Likes

If you find yourself in Milpitas near San Jose, Sugar Mama Desserts makes wonderful pandan ice cream. I went on opening day and had 3 cones of it, and bought a pint.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/sugar-mama-desserts-milpitas-3

2 Likes

Picked up takeout at Night + Market in Silver Lake and stopped by Frankie Lucy Bakeshop down the street for dessert.

Trio of desserts L-R: ube upside down pie, buko pandan creme caramel, vanilla (regular) creme caramel

The upside down pies have the same custard like the creme caramel does, but no caramel sauce. Instead they have a crumbly streusel topping. I like to switch it up between the upside down pie and creme caramel, they’re both good.

Buko pandan creme caramel

Comparing to Bhan Khanom’s pandan custard, BK’s version is a little more liquid-y, softer and much sweeter. I think BK’s custard has the stronger pandan flavor, but they are both good. Also, because FL’s version is creme caramel, it has caramel sauce on the bottom, which adds sweetness to the custard when you scoop it up together.

BK custard: $4
Frankie Lucy creme caramel: $5.80

BK’s portion is a little bigger.

Ube and pandan crinkle cookies.

I love crinkle cookies (childhood Christmas nostalgia, I suppose) and these were soft and chewy. Ube flavor was earthy but the pandan crinkle cookie was really good. Not too sweet-- I find that because there is a powdered sugar coating, the actual cookie itself isn’t that sweet. I could eat a bunch of these in one go. There is a distinct coconut flavor as well, but not overwhelming.

12 Likes

Great finds!

1 Like