Liberty Public Market

‘Our table outside was very dirty with sauce and other spills’…
This kind of stuff drives me nuts…
I don’t mind busing my own table but get your staff out there and wipe the tables clean, damn it… :upside_down:

That also was true in Texas, don’t know if it still is. The problem was, there were some dry counties in Texas so you did have to be careful not to drink in those counties. Back when cars had bucket seats and transmission humps, you could buy 6-pack coolers designed to fit over the hump, so you could always keep your eyes on the road when you got your next brew. Because as everyone knows, safety is of utmost importance when you are drinking and driving.

I wonder if Grape Smuggler minds if you bring food into their tasting shop at LPM? What I’m thinking is that it would be great to pick up a little cheese at Venissimo and then head over to Grape Smuggler to enjoy it with some nice red wine. Even better if Venissimo (or the meat shop) also offered some sliced dry Italian salami.

P.S. I know that Grape Smuggler plans to serve small plates sourced from other LPM shops, but I’d rather pick my own cheese from Venissimo’s terrific selection, and my own salami if someone there sells it.

If you are still tuned in, Honkman, this might explain the major reason why Bottlecraft was interested in opening so close to the Little Italy store. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if the concept of the wandering drink cup was part of Liberty Station’s plans, and they approached a number of establishments about moving in there (meaning that they might have come to Bottlecraft rather than vice versa).

Went yesterday and LOVED it!
It was packed and the vibe was fab…

Went and had half dozen Kumamoto’s… delicious…$3 each.
DH had the spicy tuna roll for $7…fresh and excellent.

Went and got a Pizza Port beer for $5 and brought it back to the Fishbone counter…

Had empanadas at Parana…3 for $7.50…I had the portobello and cheese…beef and raijas & cheese for the hubs…very good and salsa was yum!

They are gonna need a bigger space…

Looked pretty much finished out to me , except by bathroom and everyone was totally digging, eating and drinking from vendor to vendor.
:bouquet:

I know I said I was going to head to Mastiff next time out, but I was with a visitor from Wisconsin, and so ended up at Fishbone and Parana this evening.

The ceviche today at Fishbone was yellowtail snapper. My visitor had that, and I had poke. Both were good, if not earthshaking. The amount of fish in the poke was phenomenal for the price. Both were served in what look like gigantic martini glasses. Very nice, mellow people working there.

At Parana, we sampled the spinach and rajas empanadas. Both good enough for an appetizer or snack, but a little plain. The regular chimichurri was very good, and compensated. Very friendly people working at this place, too.

Good crowd at Bottlecraft for a Wednesday. Had beers there and at Stone. Mess Hall was having a decent night as well.

Not all of the vendors closed down right at 7; some were still serving patrons at 8. I guess they get to decide. The central area isn’t blocked off as I’d expected (after 7). Rather, the individual vendors either simply put out “closed” signs or expand folding metal barriers in front.

I also found out that yes, you can take cheese from Venissimo into Grape Smuggler (asked the manager).

All purveyors, need to have their own dedicated phone line!

Hey Plumey, is this still unresolved? I might be able to hep.

Thanks Rhonely. .

Hell hath no fury like a pissed off beach chick.

Never fuck with the beach chick.

1 Like

Even Godzilla is one scared Mo Fo when I get pissed !
Where is Mothra for support…
:u6e80:

They might need to entire nuclear reactor as backup for you.

1 Like

You got that right Bruddha sledge!

I can’t wait to meet Mama Ipse in the SGV…

She would be so proud that I kick ass and take names later…

I adore a man that wears shoes, made in Italy, that rival the cost of my French Handbag…solid.
:bouquet:

Or a doofus who drinks his rye whiskey cocktail with gold ice cubes.

#TyposAreSoEmbarrasing

1 Like

LOL. . .to be honest, reading your post through the years, I believe this is your FIRST typo and it was to ME!!!
:trophy:

Yikes! I am so sorry to hear this. Let’s try to get this taken care of today. Please Email me with the details. Just messaged you my email.

Made a visit to the Public Market on Saturday evening. It was quite packed around 5:30pm, we grabbed a chicken quesadilla from the taco place and it was pretty decent. The corn tortillas were very fresh and seemed handmade similar to Tacos Perla et al. It was pretty hard to move around the place, and I immediately got the “food court for hipsters and foodies” vibe far more than a diverse market. We went to Soda and Swine for dinner and came back to the Market afterwards and had a few beers at the BottleCraft bar. Mess Hall was fairly full, but about 50% of the shops in the market were already closed down by 8:00 even though there was a fair size crowd.

The Market was much smaller than I imagined, and there didn’t seem to be a lot of room for expansion, so I don’t see it being a regular visit for myself and Ms. Krispy unless we are already in the area as there isn’t much diversity in the Market from my perspective: a bunch of dining spots, very few shopping spots. The Butcher seemed fairly priced by I am not familiar with them or the quality of meat they source.
Being able to browse shops with a beer in hand is by far the biggest step in the right direction for San Diego haha.

The “official” closing time for places in the central area of the market is 7 pm. That may be a lease element in deference to shop owners, to help keep costs down, although many places in fact remain open longer, as you observed. Still after 7 pm, the market takes on more of a rag-tag character, with many vendors closing or closed, and fewer people wandering about. Going to BottleCraft was a good move after Soda & Swine. In addition to BottleCraft, Mess Hall stays open (no 7 pm cutoff) and I think that Grape Smuggler probably does, too.

Mr. K, the butcher shop is fairly priced and their meat is quite good. I purchased from them when LPM was in soft opening mode and was extremely happy with my purchases. Would purchase from them again, but will probably wait for the crowds to thin out and the novelty to wear off.

thanks, they had a really good selection of steaks. The tomahawks looked cool but I am a bone-in rib eye kinda guy. They have boneless for the heretics as well.

1 Like