Liberty Station Public Market

Nobody who doesn’t live in Point Loma will go there for craft beer if you can go much easier for example to 30th and bar hop with many more restaurants. And Getting top ingredients quite easily in SD was never the issue, that’s why I don’t really understand the business model of this market. It reminds me of the big central farmers market in Barrio Logan which went out of business in a year.

That wasn’t my point.

I certainly would love to be able to have a beer(s) before doing some quality grocery shopping (or visiting Tender Greens). 30th street has tons of beers but isn’t exactly overflowing on the weekends with quality produce and groceries.

1 Like

Bingo!

1 Like

But in SD even your Vons or Albertson has often an excellent craft beer selection. (Our Albertson in Mira Mesa had >100 different bottles) So it shouldn’t be a big problem to get good craft beer whereever you buy your produce/meat/fish in SD

Herr Honk shopping at Albertson’s…:santa:

Are you actually comparing the beer selection at Von’s or Albertson’s (even as decent as it is for that genre) to that of Bottlecraft?

No, I was mentioning it because people seem to think that Bottleshop will be a big draw to get people to Liberty Station when most likely for many people the selection in many regular supermarkets is already more than enough.

Oh, I see. Missed your point entirely, I guess. LOL

I suspect what they think they may be able to do is to establish another craft beer hub, so to speak. As I understand it, that particular Bottlecraft will have an ever bigger tap list than the Little Italy store. Bottlecraft often has things on tap you don’t see around San Diego very many places, and I’m guessing the logic is that they will augment Stone and Slater’s 50/50 - and perhaps more distantly Modern Times and Bay City Brewing.

Again that’s not really the point or idea behind the public market. In San Diego or any other city for that matter.

I’m looking to go to the market with my friend or companion. I want to be able to look around at various vendors and grab a craft beer while my companion gets a glass of wine or other refreshment… I can slurp down a few raw oysters and a fresh ceviche while she has an empananda or a craft sausage creation. All the while we can shop for meat, seafood, produce, cheese, and wine (or hard to find beers) for upcoming cooking at home meals. If we are curious about some ingredient uses, Mess will provide an example in the form of menu options to showcase the potential of the market ingredients . I for one am really looking forward to it! But I’m a glass half full kinda guy and if the glass is filled with craft beer, then all the better!

But people like us who are very much into food are very much in the minority and not what will keep such a place alive especially once the novelty wears off. Yes, SD is a craft beer town but the large majority of customers don’t care about (and a shop like Bottleshop). They care about “special” restaurants (preferably with celebrity chef factor) and either well-known (food) shopping opportunities or unique, upscale (food) shopping places nowhere else in SD. That’s why I don’t really understand the idea behind Liberty Station and the different vendors. (way too many available everywhere else including Farmers Markets, no “special” restaurants)

I’d argue that you are greatly exaggerating the number of people that are interested in this.

1 Like

It’s one of the main reasons why restaurants like Juniper & Ivy and Bracero are so successful. If both restaurants would serve the exact same food/dishes but were run by unknown chefs without any celebrity chef background they wouldn’t survive a year in SD.

I could give a flying crap if a restaurant has a celebrity chef or not…
If anything, I’m the rock star that walks through the door, not the guy cooking my food!

1 Like

Crank…as one who has always been a positive f#ck on life, I’m so intrigued by your Herr cranky take…
Keep on truckin’ on.
:blowfish:

Recent article in the Sacramento Bee about the different draws of Liberty Station: Liberty Station

Seems to be getting some press even outside of San Diego

Nice article. I’m betting that a lot of San Diegan’s don’t know about the art culture that’s developed there. I really think that the way in which the NTC was converted – yet preserved – is one of the very best examples of how that sort of thing should be done. We enjoy just walking around on the weekends. It’s like a mini Balboa Park, in a way. The Market will add some interesting new places to stop into, although it may be a bit too distant from the “central” area to produce a critical mass.

Yeah, I had some idea, just not to that extent.

“No fewer than 47 arts and cultural organizations call the base home, from the San Diego ballet to the Women’s Museum of California; cloistered, one-room art studios to large operations such as major comic book publisher and gallery, IDW. Bistros and bars, coffee joints and ice cream parlors, dot the site.”

I really think this thing could fly. . . The Public Market is boasting 32 vendors when they open later this month.

I’m speechless that we need a Sacramento paper to tell us about the cultural scene in SD.

3 Likes

There’s dance, too. In fact, my DH companion goes there religiously once a week for a NIA class. She loves the class, and loves the environment at LS. Yes, a shame that our local media hasn’t succeeded in making us more aware of the cultural scene there.