List of Black Owned Restaurants/Shops to Support

For anyone interested, I came across this article in LA Mag:

https://www.lamag.com/digestblog/black-owned-businesses-los-angeles/

Here’s a link to the Google spreadsheet mentioned in the article; it’s sorted by neighborhood.

(And now I think I will have to make a trip to Dulan’s this week).

19 Likes

The OC Version. There is a Google spreadsheet modeled after the LA version now available.

12 Likes

original article by kat hong
https://www.theinfatuation.com/features/support-black-owned-restaurants-in-LA

10 Likes

Don’t skip on the Pork Chops and the Stuffing! You can skip the Mashed Potatoes and Greens… but NOT The gravy… Save room for dessert and enjoy! They’ll be happy to have ya. Being in So. LA during this all (and I was literally just a few miles away in '92 when I was a Freshman in HS) has been a respite.

8 Likes

I love Lou, The French on the Block. But they are currently open on Friday, Saturday, Sunday. If you’re in the area, I’m sure you would enjoy their croissants (Chaumont-quality), sandwiches, and quiche.
I would love to go, but in light of everything…I think I’m going to stay home and find takeout from here.

5 Likes

Yummy!!!

I feel for them so bad. Their lunchtime business evaporated and the wife works for the airlines.

3 Likes

Harold & Belle’s on Jefferson (recent curbside pickup)

I happened to be meeting a girlfriend in the parking lot to hand off Clorox Bleach Wipes for my OC cousins who can’t locate any. It was like a drug deal, with masks and everything. Since I was already in the parking lot… I mean, who’s gonna’ pass up Shrimp Creole & Hurricanes? On the way home I cruised by another cousin’s Drive-by 21st Birthday Party. She got Smirnoff Ice-d on her front lawn. Interesting times! :partying_face:

A few quick, so so photos. The troop was hungry…

To-go Hurricanes

The nice gentleman gave me straws for our “to-go” Hurricanes and I swear I didn’t take a sip on the way home. I swear! :wink: Strong, fresh fruity & really delish.

Garlic Bread

Entree Side Salad

Chicken Wings

Shrimp Creole

Slightly better photo from a dine-in brunch.

The Shrimp is incredibly fresh and there’s always more hiding under the sauce. Only Salmon Creole is offered on the menu but they will gladly make it with Shrimp.

Cocktails are big and that big Entree Side Salad behind is practically a meal… lots of food.

We also had Red Beans & Rice, but no photo for some reason. It’s passable but not Wow.

H&B definitely hits the comfort spot. Super friendly service!

Side note: definitely order ahead and ask for an ETA.

17 Likes

My favorite restaurant, Buna Ethopian, where pre-pandemic I happily dined two to three times a week, is on the list. If anything good comes out of this pandemic, they will finally be able to get a liquor license (which helps financial solvency) as I understand that the pandemic is causing governmental authorities to be more liberal in handing out licenses.

Even if you don’t like Ethiopian food, hit up Buna for tiramisu. It’s only $4.50. The owner makes it herself and it is easily one of the best tiramisus that I have ever had.

9 Likes

I forgot to post this in the May Rundown, but a few weeks ago I tried the vegan truck Lettuce Feast for the first time, and saw that it’s on the black-owned restaurants list. They were in North Hollywood when I went, but their Instagram account has updates on where they are currently.

I got the hot honey faux chicken sandwich and Cajun fries combo.

Sandwich was really good for vegan faux chicken. There was a satisfyingly crispy and crunchy battered coating on the “chicken” patty. The hot honey sauce was sweet but not tooth-achingly so. It was not really spicy at all, although you can get different levels of heat. It’s also not real honey (duh) but not sure what the sweetener is here. Don’t know what kind of bun they use but it was toasted with a vegan buttery spread. Very messy to eat!

Cajun fries had good seasoning but needed just a little more salt. I pre-ordered on the website and they texted me when my order was ready (about 30 minutes later). When I got there, there were probably about 10 people waiting for their order, but we all stood spaced apart.

Because I sometimes get asked “why would you want to eat fake meat?” I don’t eat fake meat that often. To me it’s a nice little junk food treat and adds some variety. I don’t want to eat salads, beans and lentils all the time (although I do enjoy eating those). It’s also interesting to see how people work with seitan/tofu/other meat substitutes.

Would recommend to any veggies who want some junky fast food and want to support a local business!

11 Likes

I just ate mine way too quick before I could take a picture, but if you are in Downtown near the Whole Foods stop by Island to Table Patty Hut. It’s a truck and they make the BEST patties… truly flakey pasty and full of flavor. They also have Ting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B84RhSbgViD/

10 Likes

https://www.theinfatuation.com/features/la-restaurants-supporting-black-community-blm-takeout-delivery-charities

6 Likes
8 Likes

https://www.lamag.com/digestblog/black-owned-bakeries-los-angeles/

I recommend:

Lalibela Ethiopian on Fairfax (the samosas are wonderful). I know they are still doing takeout; not sure if they are open for dining in yet.

Aduke (Nigerian). Nigerian is underrated food. Love fufu and stews.

Belizean Paradise. Really downscale, but good.

Natraliart (Jamiacan). I really like ackee & cod fish.

Wood Spoon (Brazilian, listed on a list of LA restaurants with black owners). My favorite dish was their chicken with polenta and okra, but they took that off their menu after corona – not sure why. The chicken pot pie is probably what they’re most known for.

Also, in DTLA, there is a new coffee shop around the corner from Spring for Coffee. Don’t know what it’s called. But the guy is really nice. He gave me a free tasting of camel milk!

1 Like

That looks great! Maybe I’ll have it for lunch tomorrow…

“We are gathering a growing list of volunteers to help compile a directory of black owned businesses. Our mission is to establish a space to help people who seek to create change within their communities.”

"A Peek Back To Look Forward

From 1936 to 1964, in the midst of the Jim Crow era, black men and women were under the persistent threat of violence after sunset in the form of lynchings and other very real hate crimes. To help many escape this violence, Victor Green created the Negro Motorist Green Book. This book listed vital places of refuge during the segregation era that included hotels, gas stations, grocery stores, night clubs, restaurants, and “tourist homes” where homeowners welcomed travelers who had nowhere else to go. This valuable note of history not only shows us the racial discrimination that existed, but also the importance and ingenuity of black entrepreneurship. Today we continue to push forward with black innovation and invite you to be a part of it."

4 Likes

I stopped by the Gourmet Cobbler Factory yesterday for a snack and discovered they also have a savory menu. I ordered a peach cobbler and a to go quart sized container of seafood gumbo. The peach cobbler was awesome. Not too sweet and perfect with some vanilla ice cream. I had the gumbo for lunch today and it was great. Perfect amount of spice (I like a medium spicy at Thai restaurants for reference). And really a lot of chicken sausage, shrimp, and crab legs. It also came with a small container of rice. More than enough for 2-3 people though you’re gonna have to make more rice.

I’d go back just to have that gumbo in my freezer for lazy nights.

The Gourmet Cobbler Factory
33 N Catalina Ave
Pasadena Ca. 91106

8 Likes

Sounds great @ChineseChou.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC3wRwQDlYq/

6 Likes