Little Saigon Adventures

Oc and Lau

Finally!!

Vietnamese Bar food that is mostly seafood based. At Oc and Lau there is no beer, but they have a huge selection of drinks.

Coconut and Kumquat. A very tasty combination! The most popular drink here seems to be the passion fruit.

Almost guarantee there is a wait here btw!!!

The House Special Salad with escargot, squid, and mango.

Re:Vietnamese Salads. Almost always very light and refreshing with herbs/fried shallots. Kinda underrated by foodies. Or maybe less exposure? This was well made, nice textures and flavors!

Coconut Escargot.
On its own these snails are pretty neutral tasting but when you suck out the snail with a little bit of that coconut broth it is a nice bite. Coconut broth was pretty balanced I thought, with some red chiles to counter the coconut.

Razor Clams with garlic butter and peppercorns.
These were a miss for me.

Scallops with fish eggs
Yum. Take it all in one bite!!!

The Thai Hot Pot. No pics. I went in this knowing I won’t like it because I know what good Tom Yum should taste like.

Definitely come back for the salad and scallops

6 Likes

They opened a second location with a bar. so that may help with the wait some. Their oc dishes can be hit or miss, i think. There’s too much over-reliance of the scallion, peanut, sriracha combo. We do like the fried red tilapia there–it’s nicely battered and fried and all the salads, esp the shaved morning glory one but the green mango is good too. the Thai hotpot isn’t comparable to good tom yum, but it’s also the most pedestiran hotpot on the menu. Beef Sate, Oxtail and tendon, medicinal goat, bittermelon, and fermented fish hotpots for the adventuresome.

Not Vietnamese dish but sometimes Garlic and Chives has a Singapore Chilli Crab under Specials. Anyone had it?

Tasty adventures @JeetKuneBao. Bookmarking!

OMG! :heart_eyes:

I think that location in Garden Grove was my first time eating at a Boiling Crab. I was really happy when they opened in Koreatown.

Speaking of live crawfish. I never see it and rarely see even fresh crawfish. Does anyone know where to get it?

@TheCookie I think there’s a season for it, but I’m not sure what it is because I don’t chase after it.

1 Like

It’s not found in California waters. But that shouldn’t matter as we get seafood from all over. I can only surmise that it doesn’t survive long so it’s hard to ship.

Boiling Crab does manage to get fresh crawfish during the year. It’s an option on their menu board. I just don’t know exactly when.

1 Like

Crayfish?? They’re in many bodies of water in CA. Lakes, rivers, delta, etc.

Isleton has an annual crawfish festival, as do more than one other CA city.

Many Asian markets sometimes carry live crayfish, though not always. Should always have frozen crayfish, then mostly China origin.

1 Like

You can actually find crawfish in the waters at Griffith park…

Oh, okay.

I guess I’m looking on the wrong side of town. I thought commercially the crawfish/crayfish were not prevalent in California waters anymore and very few were left in small bodies of water (ponds, parks). My bad. I thought for commercial purposes they’re mostly in eastern and southern waters, and the closest commercial area was the Pacific NW.

Yep, that’s all I see.

I believe you are right. Don’t recall ever seeing any growing operations in the delta, where they’d likely be.

They are very hardy and stay alive well when kept cool. Used them for bass bait often.

1 Like

Okay, but it’s cool to know you can still catch some for dinner in California. Maybe I’ll buy traps. Just kidding. But I’ll definitely be on the look out at Asian markets. We have Hannam and Galleria close by in Ktown. I think it’d be fun to do a seafood boil.

Doesn’t seem too bad actually…

#4 Special: 40 lbs. LIVE CRAWFISH, Extra Large (14-16 ct. to the lb.) including seafood boiling mix and shipping to your door via FedEx or UPS (for Saturday delivery, add $35.00) (First Come, First Served) $331.0

1 Like

I was just guessing about them being too delicate to ship. No facts involved. :wink: This is great. Thanks!

Maybe we can do a seafood boil along with that backyard paella party @nemroz wants to do. :smiley:

1 Like

Corgis & Crawfish, a QBSDR fundraiser.

• $50pp?

Sorry I can’t stop the hustle :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Article is dated but might still be relevant for delivery options
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB111413074089814007

2 Likes

It’s a very catchy name. :smile:

The nerve of the WSJ. I recently found out they’ve been erroneously taking money from my bank account every month including this month (long story. I thought it was something else). But I was just asked to start a subscription to read this article. Bastards!

Someone needs to open a New Orleans-style, pup-friendly place with this name!

1 Like