Little Saigon Adventures

There is a coconut cake stall in the weekends at Wat Thai in the SFV. Mae Tings is at LAX-C as @hungryhungryhippos stated. It’s my favorite coconut dessert. Auntie Mae Ting is also very sweet. Also grilled meat skewers, papaya salad, and sticky rice are available. You can browse the Thai Costco too. Not far from Majordomo for reference.

2 Likes

Got it. We went to LAX-C once on a weekend before some brews at Highland Park but didn’t notice any stalls or food vendors. We went in the parking lot maybe it was the back entrance? This was probably 3-4 years ago but those coconut cakes are on my radar. Good Thai food is scarce in the North OC area since Ruen Pair closed in Rowland Heights.

2 Likes

Hm, it’s usually almost impossible to miss the food on the weekends. It’s in the tents opposite the entrance so you have to pass them on the way into the LAX-C.

+1 on Mae Tings. We also like the sausages while we wait for the coconut cakes but it’s all pretty good

2 Likes

Detroit-style pizza needs enough of the right kind of cheese that the butterfat drips into the pan and deep-fries the crust. Otherwise it should not be overloaded with toppings.

1 Like

Steel pan reheats very well the next day, I actually think it might taste better kinda of like day old lasagna since the flavors get to set up and meld

2 Likes

These days I’ve been going to Vo’s Sandwiches. On Garden Grove just south of Magnolia. Easy bang bang with Phin Smith. Extra pate + mayo is the play.

3 Likes

Ok I will book mark this vos place thx for the tip!

Finally got to Ba Le last week. My god. Those sandwiches lived up to the hype and then some. I got the egg with pate and grilled bacon per a rec on FTC (sorry, forgot where). And tried some of the mixed cold cut. Both were phenomenal! I would be at this place every week if it were <20 min drive. Also, we tried the sticky rice filled with chicken wrapped in banana leaf (I think this is called banh tet based on a quick googling)-- it was awesome! Such an amazing aroma from the banana leaf imparted into the rice.

Thanks everyone for the recs, esp @JeetKuneBao, @attran99, and @Chowseeker1999 (RIHO). FTC is awesome.

8 Likes

My dac biet a few weeks ago was otherworldly, specifically the bread. When Ba Le Westminster is on their top game, there is no other I would rather have. Ask for extra spicy for more jalapeño if that’s your thing.

9 Likes

Any updates here?

Nha Hang is now 11.99. $10 inflation

2 Likes

I need some fresh pickup options near Phin Smith. Anyone?

3 Likes

I haven’t been but @JeetKuneBao suggested Sababa Falafel Shop. Pics look great. He posted in August 2022 rundown. I’ve only been on FTC for like 5 years and still don’t know how to link this.

3 Likes

yoyo has solid banh khot that reheats well, I like it better than banh khot vung tau which is all crisp. i still haven’t found anything that tops the coconut milk ones at banh khot lady.

10 Likes

If you are in the mood than definitely check out Sababa like @js76wisco mentioned.

I been out of the loop but seems like the big thing in Little Saigon is Nep Cafe which is kinda similar to the Vox/Garlic and Chives down the street in that there is some Vietnamese influence on the menu but not 100% Viet.

@hppzz any new intel?

1 Like

No idea how new it is, but there is a food court in Stanton like 10 minutes away called Rodeo 39 that has a Kra Z Kai’s among a bunch of other choices. Biggest line there was at Phoholic when I went on Wednesday.

1 Like

already visited Rodeo 39, Kra Z didn’t do much for me. my favorite booth there so far is Steel Pan.

4 Likes

No worries. Just go the link you want everyone to see (like the Aug 2022 photos you mentioned), and there should be a chain-link icon there in the bottom right hand corner of that post. Click that, and the address for that content will appear.

1 Like

Ours, too!

Ditto. I wish they were still at 4th st market. Would be nice to bang bang Steel Pan and Burrito Las Palma.

3 Likes

Sababa is like Tel Aviv lite, definitely great for the area but Tel Aviv more tasty.

2 Likes