Looking for a Unicorn? Place for a casual, friendly, drop-by sort of affair

Can we expand this to the OC?
Looking for exactly the same thing in Orange County for tomorrow evening.
Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, Irvine, Orange.

none of your guesses were correct.

it was a way of saying that if you or your guests need the megabrands in order to be happy, this is not likely to be a satisfactory place for you.

personally, like you, i like fords better myself.
that said, on the old board, one of the board members was disdainful of them because they didn’t carry bombay sapphire.
for rum, iirc, they didn’t stock bacardi. i was happy with Chauffe Coeur, but some folks would not be.
there are people out there who can’t be satisfied unless it is their familiar brand.

I think Bar Covell’s private room is a $2K minimum, and last I was there, it was beer and wine only.

Well, that’s only a bottle per person (roughly) for 20 people! if you’re there all night it might be worth it!

This reads like the opening of a horror story…ghastly

Bar Covell does have decent charcuterie and formage plates…a few other snacks, too. My friend hosted his birthday there once, and it was a great time.

Bar Covell is a swell place to be. It’s a very good wine bar.

I just don’t know if OP is actually looking to spend $100/person or not to get the private room there.

Bar Hayama on Sawtelle (parking is lousy, though)
Ingo’s
Solidarity on the patio (the old Warsawa)
Upper West

1 Like

Thanks, all.
I’m thinking Tavern may be the answer here. I think for all the criteria to be met, I need more of a bar that also happens to have some food as opposed to a restaurant that has a great bar. I’ve been to Tavern plenty so I’m fairly confident it can work.
I’m also interested in Settebello because pizza. I’ll have to check out the room/patio though to see if it’ll work.
Haven’t been to Solidarity/Warsawa, but I’m also intrigued.
Bar Covell looks great . . . that minimum tho. Remember I’m cheap.
Gonna look into Marvin, too.

Thanks, friends.

1 Like

The patio at Settebello is quite large, as is the interior dining room. We like the place, and have usually dined on the patio. It’s been a while though.

As much as the patio is an attraction, the weather - mainly the wind/breezes - can be a potential issue. The patio is practically fully exposed on the upper floor of the shopping center.

Pizza being a food that doesn’t retain heat well, yet seems optimal when eaten relatively soon out of the oven (or cold the next day), can cool off very fast out on the patio.

Still, parking is readily available. Between the parking across the street and the parking structure attached to the building that Settebello is in, there’s a lot of pluses to this place for your circumstances.

1 Like

Gotcha. 10 day forecast isn’t looking good for this Friday. Settebello maybe another time.

Just my opinion, but the summer time post-June Gloom is the perfect for dinner on the patio here. There are parts of the Westside - MdR being one of them - where one probably wishes the summer evenings were just a little warmer for classic al fresco dining.

1 Like

Plan Check would work

Per their website, it’s $750 or $1200 depending on day of the week. Which is really not so bad with a large crowd. But yes, no liquor. http://barcovell.com/sidebar/faqs.html

Agreed. Mid-city or east until that marine layer is no longer a problem.

Okay. Leaning Tavern, still, but wondering about The Cannibal.

The Brixton is another idea, bar with good pub food. Also, Arsenal.

Friend had his birthday at Everson Royce Bar in the Arts District, and they were really great - the food is excellent and easy to share or snack on, drinks are great, they have a big and beautiful patio, and the staff there was really cool about keeping separate tabs for everyone even though we were all seated at a large table.

I know you were hoping to stay Westside, but just thought I’d throw it out there for you or for someone else with a similar goal.

3 Likes

Great Happy Hour but it gets really crowded as time goes on. And keeping a group of 20 ensconced reasonablly comfortably would be really hard.

Indeed. Hard to beat free AYCE and cheap booze. Everyday too.