Low carb foods - are there any that are half way decent?

(First, if this should be moved, please do it.)

I’ve gradually been putting on weight and since I’m nearing 70 it’s time to deal with this. My doctor recommended low carb and I’ve had success in the past. I’m wondering if there are any products - bread, pasta, etc. - that are decent tasting? I’m not a big bread lover but an occasional half sandwich or toast for breakfast is nice. I’d appreciate any recommendations.

(Just a note. I have no interest in discussing the merits or not of a low carb diet. Thanks.)

Trader Joe’s black bean pasta surprised me. It has a great al dente texture.

A lot of people on the Always Hungry forum like chickpea-flour pancakes.

Ezekial Sprouted Grain breads are a good choice.

I so appreciate these recs. And that black bean pasta sounds pretty interesting. Thanks, kiddos.

PS: Turning SEVEN O(H NO) could be an ongoing challenge :slight_smile:

1 Like

I buy this at Sprouts for about $4. Tastes much better toasted. I usually make avocado toast with it or top it with cottage cheese and a bit of Marmite. I also buy low carb tortillas for breakfast burritos, fajitas and wraps. I buy these from Sprouts and Costco.

Also, low carb doesn’t mean you have to cut out normal bread completely. Have one slice of your favorite bread instead of two, and make a half sandwich, or an open faced sandwich.

I’m a firm believe in “everything in moderation including moderation.” Thanks for the recs.

Looking at the label, Ezekial Sprouted Grain bread has 12 grams of net carbs per 34-gram slice, which is more than the 10 grams of net carbs you’d get from a 22-gram slice of Sara Lee whole-wheat bread. To normalize the comparison, Ezekial has 35 grams of net carbs per 100 grams, only 8% less than Sara Lee.

The Oasis Low Carb Flaxseed has 6 grams of net carbs per 22-gram slice. It makes up the volume with protein.

Dreamfields pasta tastes very good.

False advertising.

Per two-ounce serving, De Cecco 100% semolina spaghetti has 39 grams net carbs.

Dreamfields cuts that by 8% to 36 grams by substituting inulin, wheat gluten, xanthan gum, and pectin for some of the semolina. A serving with five grams of net carbs would be about a quarter of an ounce.

I really appreciate all these recs - pro and con.

robert, the Dreamfields thing is especially enlightening. I’m guessing they’re are more.

1 Like

Trader Joe’s doesn’t market its whole-grain crispbread as low-carb, but compared with Wasa’s, both 22 grams per cracker, TJ’s has 4 four grams net carbs, Wasa has 8. TJ’s uses seeds and bran in place of some of the flour.

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/whole-grain-crispbread

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wasa-Whole-Grain-Crispbread-9.2-oz-Pack-of-12/17193704

Thanks. I missed that at TJs. I tried Nature’s Own (I think) bread, four slices, different way, different days and through it in the trash. I’ve gotten low carb whole wheat flour tortillas. Had one last night and it was decent. Got the Rustic Bakery Walnut ones and they’re quite tasty. Walnuts with sesame,flax, sunflower & pumpkin sees. Six nets carbs for an oz. Haven’t weighed but should be a fair amount. Nice for putting some cheese on

http://www.rusticbakery.com/store/pan-forte-crostini/

The first two ingredients in Rustic Bakery’s pan forte crostini are whole-wheat flour and sugar. I see 7 grams net carbs per ounce.

https://www.freshdirect.com/pdp.jsp?productId=gro_pid_4007948&catId=gro_cooki_crack_flat

There are only 5oz in a box and there are A LOT of crackers. One or two is fine with me.

Go ahead and enjoy them, I’m just saying 25% net carbs by weight is not low-carb. I wouldn’t call anything with sugar in it low-carb. Not that Rustic Bakery is making any such claims.

Speaking of not low-carb, those guys make very good baguettes.

I understand. I’d rather have a really small amount of something really good than a larger amount of not-very-good. I’m having very few carbs and no alcohol! so these are my little splurges. Last night’s dessert was TWO strawberries, a dollop of sour cream and about a teaspoon of blackberry puree. A splurge :slight_smile: