Lucques by Suzanne Goin

Service issues. Food was fine.

Yikes. Hope you contacted them afterward to let them know. I assume they would take such a complaint very seriously b/c the service I’ve received at all of her restaurants has always been exemplary.

Goin has spread herself too thin these days.

She needs to keep a tighter rein on Mercedes Rojas, the chef de cuisine at Lucques.

In many ways, Lucques reminds me of Melisse. A great restaurant that time has passed by.

Agree that Goin has spread herself too thin, given her contract with Hollywood Bowl, etc. However, still think that Lucques is great restaurant. Focus now on Lucques, Aoc. Tavern is the one which has seriously suffered. Larder at Tavern is now not even an option any longer as the food and service are so tired. Have great respect for Styne and Goin and what they do for the Alex Loves Lemonade Foundation.

1 Like

I’m happy not to know these things as our annual visits have always been fun and delicious. I’ll try to stay in bliss until something pisses me off too

3 Likes

My friend had never been to Lucques to I took her for her birthday. She wanted to go to some place downtown that she said served great steak and fries, but I got her to try this place instead.

I usually get the steak but wanted the crab cake sandwich since I was missing the softshells we would buy live in B’more.

It was fantastic!

IMG_20180912_134236

My friend loved her steak and fries and said this version was much better than the place she had wanted to go.

IMG_20180912_134230

IMG_20180912_144646

They had a large party out on the patio, celebrating another birthday. Our service was slow as a result. I like it for lunch because it usually is fairly empty and quiet with good service, so great when you want to meet and talk. The biggest problem with it is its proximity to Raku, which is my preferred place.

4 Likes

I had a very good meal there a few weeks ago which I forgot to post about. Perfect place to hang out with friends and talk.

IMG_20180907_202937531

IMG_20180907_202945878

IMG_20180907_204955463

IMG_20180907_205003114

3 Likes

Holy cow. I hope it’s closing b/c both Goin and Styne are super busy w/ other things? While it doesn’t get a lot of mentions on here, I consider this place an institution, and it was one of the first fancy dinners I had when I started to make enough $ to pay for such things.

I didn’t go often, but I will certainly miss it. Glad I went recently.

2 Likes

Don’t know if the two events are related, but the duo are working on a new project at the Proper Hotel in DTLA:

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9m_6DfH4h0/

Yikes. It’s not super busy but a long time favorite. We lived across the street for a decade. I just sent a french coworker to go there when his parents visited and they loved it.

I think corona virus is going to force restaurants to close and ones with multiple restaurants to prioritize their primary revenue drivers

Announcing that they’ll be closing in eight weeks doesn’t seem like anything to do with COVID-19.

I’m kind of surprised they lasted as long as they have. Elegant decor, tablecloths, starter - main - dessert, unfussy plating, polished and correct service … I love it, but that combination is a hard sell to young people.

3 Likes

maybe true but could be they’re seeing the writing on the wall that the situation only worsen and are repositioning now. we WILL certainly see a lot of businesses close or consolidate due to lack of patrons. hell i’m expecting a lot of austerity measures and layoffs at all sorts of companies

3 Likes
3 Likes

Back from the dead, sort of, for Sunday suppers and brunch pick up at The Larder

5 Likes

It lives!

Lucques catering is available on Tock

1 Like

Pricey AF.
I do hope they can make a few bucks. I’m sure they need it.
And one of our brethren posters said there was nary a sausage to be found in the cassoulet

In all fairness, there was a good amount of duck! But I do recall saying to partner, “Did you have one piece of sausage? Drat, so did I.” And that was all there was… ::sigh::

“And how did you find the sausage?”

“I moved one of the beans and there it was.”

3 Likes