Lunch options near USC? with kids

+1 for Chichen Itza… easy drive from Natural History Museum, casual enough. Yep…

Go well before noon and pick up 9 or so take-out boxes of the chicken special from Dino’s (one per adult, split one for each two kids). You will get a flame-grilled half-chicken, a ton of fries, a cup of cole slaw, and three tortillas for each $7 order. Picnic near the museum or eat there if it is well before the lunch rush or mid-afternoon. Dino’s is on the N/W corner of Pico and Brenda, which is two short blocks west of Vermont, so you are only a few blocks from the N/W corner of the USC campus. For an order that size, you may want to call about 15 minutes before arriving there. They also have burgers, dogs, huge pastrami sandwiches, etc. but almost everyone gets the chicken special. Delicious, and the marinade/sauce is addictive sopped up with the thin fries.

Dino’s chicken boxes are one of the sluttiest LA mashups ever concocted; utterly classic. I don’t know if I would want to clean up a bunch of kids that tore into them though lol

That is a good point, @Aesthete. That delicious orange oil that permeates the chicken and fries must be an absolute bear to wash out.

@samtron608, if you do end up at Chichen Itza, the kids might enjoy the cupcakes at Azla Vegan, which is also in Mercado La Paloma. The cupcakes are made by Clara Cakes, a vegan bakery run by a talented teenager. And although the cupcakes are gluten-free and vegan, they taste like good gluten-filled cupcakes. She usually has a couple of flavors at Azla at any given time. You might want to call ahead of time to reserve them if you decide to go to Chichen Itza.

I think Pok Pok Phat might have closed or is closing, it served its purpose. Pok Pok is great but is the food appropriate for the kids, age and palate?
You might consider Orlean’s and York, or maybe Little Jewel.
La Taquiza has excellent Mexican in casual environment and it is so close. Have fun, I need to get out to the Museum’s more often.

Try LOCOL on 103rd, well worth the extra few minutes to drive there. www.welocol.com

Parking can be a challenge at LOCOL.

Totally disagree.

It’s not a destination place, even if it’s just a few minutes.

It’s a nice place to eat it at if you live within walking distance. Outside of that restricted area, it’s not worth the second thought, or even the initial one.

+1 on Revolutionario. Great joint. Tasty lemonades. Unlike Pok Pok, can adjust spices. And on the weekend they’re spit grillin’ whole lambs and Mary’s Chickens.

The Pepper Brik is outstanding.

1 Like

Unlike some haters here, I like Pok Pok and Pok Pok Thai having been to many parts of Thailand several times. I really like it. But I understand why it’s a tough sell here.

But, Pok Pok is NOT for kids. Phat Thai is good for the kiddies, but for your size party, hard to predict timing and outcomes. Parking is also problematic on the weekends.

Revolutionario is a good bet…close to SC, easy parking (lot or street), authentic to itself, different, kid-friendly.

I heard from reliable source that Pok Pok Phat is closing soon, make sure before you decide to go there. FYI

2 Likes