Lunch Specials - What's for Lunch?

Looks good @Bookwich. I pass by all the time but haven’t been in a while. The portions used to be really scrimpy.

Gyu-Kaku (from Tokyo) is the #1 yakiniku chain in the world. They have 60 locations here in US/Canada and more than 600 in Japan.

Yakiniku has its roots in Korean BBQ, but has become distinctly Japanese.
Similar to how ramen has its roots in China, tempura in Portugal, etc.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip. After seeing your post, I hit their Las Vegas outpost (actually I’ve been there twice now), and found it excellent. First time I had the lunch, which was a quite adequate meal. Then today I found myself in the neighborhood and really hungry, and went for their AYCE deal. Outstanding! I’m a bit too embarrassed to report how much meat I ate, but let’s just say I got my money’s worth. Technically it wasn’t lunchtime however. :smiley:

7 Likes

PSA: there’s one opening on 3rd St Promenade. Restaurant is totally done (it seems); staff was doing training last night.

Does anyone know if this chain has been around for, say, 30 yrs or so and if there used to be a Weller Court location? I’m wondering if this might’ve actually been the first Japanese/Korean BBQ place I had visited as a wee lad…

Gyu-Kaku’s first location opened in Tokyo in 1996.
First U.S. location is on Pico (still there) and opened in 2001.
(I had my first yakiniku experience at this location while I was in college. I still remember the Harami Miso!)

There has never been a Gyu-Kaku in Weller Court.

3 Likes

I recently ate at the Sherman Oaks Gyu-Kaku and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have two days of small work meetings at Los Angeles River Center and Gardens, was wondering if you fine people had post covid recommendations?

Food I can pick up and bring to my colleagues for breakfast or lunch?
Lunch places I can helpfully tell them to go to?

If we’re not sick of each other and want a beer and snack post work?

Proof - Atwater
Dune - Atwater
Wax Paper - Frogtown

3 Likes

moo’s

majordomo for after work

4 Likes

thanks! I am likely paying for happy hour out-of-pocket and recently brought in a ton of food from African Chop; soooo my food budget is limited. I’ll look at Dune and Wax Paper for lunch, plus any others and arrange for a pick up.

2 Likes

Porto’s Glendale

3 Likes

There’s a King Taco on Cypress and El Atacor on Figueroa has good potato tacos (or at least they used to). May be best to pop over the hill to Chinatown.

2 Likes

Highland Park Brewing in Chinatown for great beers and snacks. Indoor/outdoor space available. Directly across from LA Historic Park.

Looking for a greasy spoon breakfast one day? Go to Nick’s. A classic LA diner. Thick griddled ham & eggs.

Wanna bring coffee? Aquarela in Chinatown. Nanolot coffees from Brazil. Varying processes and anaerobic fermented coffees.

Wanna bring tea? Hot or cold teas from Steep in Chinatown are top notch.

Don’t know which direction you are coming from, but burritos from Al & Beas in Boyle Heights would be loved by all. Chile relleno burrito can’t miss.

4 Likes