Luv2eat Thai Bistro

Haha. I know.

The Erik M – white dude who learned Thai just to eat Thai food. Before Pok Pok opened, I might add. JG mentioned him in his Jitlada review.

Do you speak Thai?

¯_(ツ)_/¯

yes.

[quote=“set0312, post:22, topic:1586, full:true”]
Do you speak Thai?
[/quote]no

how luv2eat wasn’t included on ANY best new restaurants list of this year is really beyond me. I mean… Baroo?

A very good lunch at Luv2Eat today. We got the fried chicken (in place of the usual satay for the kids), pork liver salad, turmeric-chicken soup, massamun curry (with chicken) and the fish curry. The waitress independently downgraded our heat setting on the fish curry from Thai hot to medium. It was pretty hot at medium (though manageable) but would probably have killed me at Thai hot. Anyway, the fish curry, the turmeric soup and the massamun were the highlights–probably in that order. We’ll be back on the next trip for sure to try more of the recommended stuff; might even try to squeeze in another visit on this trip–only problem is I can’t eat anything too lethal (Thai/Sichuan) too close to getting on a 15 hour flight across the Pacific…

2 Likes

I was there for lunch too!

I think that translation that Erik did was the first thread I ever viewed at CH… ::weeps gently for a bygone era::

2 Likes

We got there a little after noon. Table for four, right by the door.

Then you haven’t been to Yai’s. Dam just thinking about it I may go there for lunch.

Had a wonderful meal here tonight. Very funky stuff. To be honest, my favorite dish was the jade noodle–far better than the Sapp version to me. One of the more comforting, perfectly balanced noodle dishes I’ve ever had.

Shrimp paste fried rice and kua gling spare ribs both good (if not great). Grilled pork larb was great.

Then there was the phuket style curry. This was simultaneously great and difficult. The flavors were incredible, but the heat was really just too much for me–first time that has happened to me in a while. I was deep in a sweat meltdown. I had to stop eating for a little while.

They were out of fried chicken. I think next time I’d probably get the same meal, but with fried chicken and massaman added (kua kling out and phuket curry out)

2 Likes

fear not, Erik’s still alive. He still dabbles in Chicago Thai translations, and he’s keenly aware of the Ricker/Pok Pok sitch in LA (read: we’re all being trolled)

1 Like

I agree their jade noodles are better than Sapp. I thought it was fantastic.

Also agree about the crab curry. Even though I was for it medium, the heat level was just too high for me to really enjoy it. Had to throw most of it away.

I thought their fried chicken was just average at best and probably would not order it again. I need to go back there to try their massaman curry. It was my favorite dish while traveling in Koh Samui.

Also, as an update, my fingernails were yellow for two days. No idea why; nothing I ate was yellow. My best guess is it was the kua gling short ribs which has to be eaten with hands. My girlfriend also would not come near me due to smell. But still worth it.

We got the crab curry and the massaman as take out this weekend. The massaman was unbelievably good. The crab curry was, unfortunately, inedible due to the heat. They said “it’s spicy so we’ll do it just below medium” but I should have insisted on “mild”. Bummer and lesson learned.

Maybe the people that find luv2eat too spicy should go to Pok Pok and those that find Pok Pok lacking in spice should go to luv2eat? :wink:

Not going to lie, even the mild crab curry was almost too spicy for me.

false. Thai people do use chopsticks.
source: have eaten luv2eat kua kling short ribs.

1 Like

i thought my thai brethren only ate noodles with chopsticks?

is brisket only served at rosh?

there’s a basket of chopsticks sitting at the table. if you can’t eat the *** with ***, switch utensils? of all the complaints re: a meal… SMH.

the crab/fish southern curry needs to be eaten with plenty of rice/rice sticks. it’s not meant to be slurped like soup, but spooned over. idunno, YMMV. it wasn’t “that” hot the few times I’ve had it. then again, I kinda enjoy it, and the aftermath, which is way more effective than an enema.

hey, i ain’t complaining. was just asking.

Oh, it was def too spicy for me (although I seem to have lost all of the spicy tolerance recently that I had spent yrs painstakingly building! Argh!). I kept eating it, though, b/c it was SO damn delicious. I think that’s a dish you need to split w/ like 6 people. Each person takes a bite and is done. :slightly_smiling:

Did this. Still sweated bullets.

Did this too.