M Con, M-Con, MCon, has anyone been?

It’s funny I didn’t have the fried chicken sandwich bc I heard it wasn’t good. So you’ll judge a place on one dish. Great.

I was really excited at the start of the thread since it’s in the hood… then by the end of it i laughed and said that i’m never even going on that block again

1 Like

Exactly @Nemroz. I was thinking of going today. I drove by the other day and noticed it was in the spot where the long running, but tired Sushi Cafe was. Then realized it’s the place people had mentioned on FTC. Hopped on this thread 1st and…

…and hopefully peaced out to Soda Pop

1 Like

Don’t get the fried chicken sandwich. I like the spare ribs appetizer the best.

I admit, I was reconsidering my plan to visit here after some of these posts. In fact, I probably would have hit Mama’s Secret if parking on 2nd wasn’t such a bitch. But honesty, the only thing that interested me here was the salad and since no had made a comment on it, I decided to give it a shot.

Overall, not bad. It was nicely dressed and it had lots of chicken. The Chicken was grilled fresh, but not super hot that it warmed up the salad in any way (My pet peeve who wants a tepid salad. :P). The flavor of the chicken was good, but the dressing was oddly salty. I’m a bit sensitive to salt, especially when it’s not expected, so I don’t think in terms of this type of salad (Chinese Chicken essentally) I can recommend it. Unless you like Salty Salad.

The funny thing was that part of the appeal was that there really isn’t that much good casual Asian in the area, but a Shophouse also just opened across the street. I am not a fan of Shophouse myself, but it’ll be interesting to see how the neighborhood embraces these places. It’s about 3:30p here now and by the number of folks here, it seems like it’s a welcome addition.

–Dommy!

1 Like

I actually really like ShopHouse and think that it’ll definitely give M Con a run for its money.

1 Like

Love the spicy noodles at shop house.

I’ve tried Shop House manytimes because I REALLY want to like them, but not a fan of their noodles. They don’t hold the sauce at all because they are cold. It would be great if they heated up the noodles with the sauce, but that is just not the concept. Rice does not equal noodles. That is why I like Yellow Fever better. They noodles they serve are warm.

ShopHouse Kitchen is like the Subway of SE Asian fast food.

Food doesn’t taste bad, and some it is even sort of good, but none of it actually taste like anything it should be. Just like a Subway turkey sandwich, for example; while not disgusting per se, it tastes nothing like turkey, or a sandwich for that matter.

1 Like

I might not disagree with you there. It’s strangely good, at least for my palate, but it’s kind of greasy and discomforting after you finish it. I prefer Chego for that kind of stoner fare. But in a pinch, and in a place like Third Street Promenade, it’s a welcome sight. It’s certainly better than Chipotle imo

1 Like

It’s odd. I’m looking at the pictures on this thread. The food looks beige. Beige = Bland.

Hello from the rainy forests of bearded Portland

Just learned about this place, which is in my old neighborhood when we lived in LA. Up here in the Taiwanese-food starved northwest, my expectations have lessened a bit, and for just a twinge of a moment, I questioned whether I left Los Angeles a few years too early. Just imagine, Taiwanese food walking distance from my apartment! It’s a dream.

But then I read TonyC’s review (and the follow ups) and realize that I’m fine where I am. In fact, I made a pretty damned good pot of 牛肉麵 with some delicious abused, hormone-filled beef shank from our local equivalent to 99 Ranch (Fubonn). 炸醬麵 is for dinner tonight. So you know, we make do.

Mr Taster

2 Likes

Checking in on M-Con. closed.

So, either I’m the king troll, or maybe the food (and to many degrees, the concept, concept-for-the location) was absolute shit. Or both.

Or maybe it’s “polished shit”. Who knows.

3 Likes

Does this mean you’re back?? :smile:

1 Like

nah, just came back to mark the closure of M Con and its wonderful food, as well as Northern Cafe replacing it.

have a great Mem wknd @bulavinaka @J_L, may Don stay the F away from BATing the JP whisky. It’s all expensive enough as it is.

4 Likes

What a F-in’ tease. :beers:

2 Likes

Is there a Google translate option for @TonyC??? :wink:

4 Likes