Manhattan's Top 10 Hidden Restaurants & Bars (and Where to Find Them)

Any comments/opinions?

1 Like

Dinnertable has closed.

1 Like

I’m familiar with all of those (and I’ve been to four of them), so how “inside scoop” they are is questionable, since I’m not super-hip. And Beauty and Essex - well, you do have go through a fake “pawn shop,” but it’s not exactly hidden. It’s kinda hard to miss.

Angel’s Share is the only one I’ve been to multiple times. It’s a very nice place to hang out.

1 Like

Given I’m absolutely not hip - @small_h what do you think of Raines Law Room Chelsea? Any other late night cocktail bars you recommend (in addition to Angel’s share) - with an emphasis on good high quality cocktails. Trying to find a place open late where I don’t have to contend with crowds. I don’t think I’d make it past the velvet ropes otherwise.

1 Like

With the caveat that I haven’t been there since soon after it opened, I liked the drinks at Raines quite a bit, but I found the policy of not having a bar very off-putting. Unless things have changed, the only seating is at tables behind curtains, which would not appeal to me as an often-solo drinker.

Recommendation from me that isn’t Angel’s Share: Death & Co. (can’t guarantee no crowd, but can guarantee no door policy beyond first come, first served).

Recommendations from people I trust for bars I have not been to: Bar Goto, Existing Conditions.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recs! Death & Co looks like a very cool spot.

1 Like

It is. There’s also Dead Rabbit, which I’ve never managed to wedge myself into. But they recently expanded, so you may have better luck.

2 Likes

Oh yeah I recollect walking by this place a few months ago.

I like https://www.sakebardecibel.com/ a lot. Certainly feels like a speakeasy, and try not to look too closely at the floor.

2 Likes

See also:

I love that place. Been going there for-ev-er.

@small_h tried to hit a few of your recs last night after work but unfortunately most of them close at 2am :(. Ended up hitting Attaboy instead which closes at 4am - no lines and very mellow atmosphere at 3am til closing time. Followed by a mini morning bang-bang at Empanada Mama → steak at Coppelia → dessert at Donut Pub.

2 Likes

OMG, closing at 2AM is too early. I just love the flashbacks to my youth. I do New Year’s Eve at midnight East Coast here on the Left Coast and then I go to sleep. But I loved those times and I love that I don’t do them anymore. (72 this week!)

@Sgee What a night on the town! I love both Death & Co and Dead Rabbit. My cousin tried taking us to the speakeasy inside a sushi restaurant over by NYU, but it was so crowded that night we couldn’t get in.

1 Like

Oh! Sorry about that. I didn’t realize how late you intended to be out. It’s been a while since I walked out of a bar and into the sunshine. And I think generally, high end places close earlier than low end places. My “last stop” when I lived in Gramercy didn’t seem to ever close, but it was…not very fancy.

2 Likes

@attran99 hahah yeah in my elderly state, these little excursions are far and few in between. What is the name of the bar behind the sushi place?

@small_h one of those long nights at work. Figured I won’t run into too much traffic/crowds at 3am for a quick nightcap. Also glad I arrived late and didn’t embarrass myself in front of too many people… knocked on the wrong door. Ended up having to inquire with a bunch of patrons smoking outside :relaxed:

Angel’s Share (East Village)

1 Like