Manzke Restaurant

Lol they couldn’t spare one stray baguette?

Why they couldn’t bring just one up (when theoretically downstairs someone should be able to order as many as they want) is beyond me.

This is the part that gets me :joy:

3 Likes

I even asked if we could “order” one, so not sure how that’s different from me going downstairs and ordering one myself.

but I have to give them credit for bringing us a second round of brioche when they couldn’t get us some baguettes.

2 Likes

I wasn’t that thrilled at Manzke either. No Sergio in sight. Sure, there were some great bites (I actually liked the the toro tostada and uni mantou). But overall the meal lacked enthusiasm, for lack of a better phrase; as if they’re simply trying to “check off the boxes” for a Michelin star. As if the appearance of toro, uni, and caviar will somehow carry the menu to the promised land…

The inflexibility of the bread is real - I too tried to procure a baguette from Bicyclette prior to my seating, but was heartily rebuffed by Bicyclette FOH.

The worst blow was dealt when I realized (post hoc) that we were served only 11 courses instead of 12 (the spot prawn course was apparently 86’ed) without any explanation - all the while my party paid the same price per person as others for their 12-course menu just a week prior.

5 Likes

I for one LOVED the pico de Gallo liquid. So count me in the PKY camp

From the moment when they served us butter and we realized the brioche was too buttery we have asked for the baguette every time anyone from the staff approached us. They kept shrugging their shoulders and said they would try. Eventually they did produce half of one. On the other hand, if I wanted some bread and butter, maybe I just needed to be dine downstairs at Bicyclette?

that is exactly what I thought
At the end I reflected that of the 3 Manzke restaurants, I would much rather dine at Republique.

3 Likes

I understand the proximity. But I think they really are just trying to keep it a separate entity. It’s like asking for the onion tart as well. They can’t get away from the success of their baguette but it’s just not part of what they envision with manzke. Even their cocktail program is different from downstairs and upstairs.

Maybe the mistake was building it on top of bicylette.

1 Like

If so, why are they serving so much butter?

Everyone’s concept of “too buttery” is different. I had no problem smearing some butter on my brioche.

I don’t see why serving butter means they need to serve the baguette.

2 Likes

hell yeah I put butter on the brioche

4 Likes

I did too but there was still a lot left…great butter going to the trash is a such waste but I had no other way to use em

4 Likes

At Charter Oak the other night our server offered to box up the butter. It can be weird to ask that stuff sometimes but I appreciate when they offer

4 Likes

can’t wait to read your trip report

2 Likes

Good writing my friend. Sorry it was so disappointing.

1 Like

ok, fine, don’t give us any bread from bicyclette. Just give us more bread from Manzke. But do give us some more bread.

My wife reminded me of moments of very unpleasant vibe at Manzke when several times during the dinner they seated overflow parties from Bicyclette at Manzke bar for drinks, and they were laughing and having fairly loud conversation, 'cause they felt like thee ware at the bar while we were trying to enjoy so called “haute cuisine”.

1 Like

Sounds like a plus in my book. Food’s my religion but that’s not the atmosphere I want in my church.

2 Likes

At least they’re letting something from Bicyclette to go upstairs into Manzke… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

but can’t get any food at the bar at Manzke.