March 2017 Weekend Rundown

Purim-ing Harder, goyim-style…

6 Likes

Anyone who’s been within 100ft of me this morning can still smell that I ate at Road to Seoul Korean BBQ last night.

4 Likes

It’s a good sign if your socks smell like Korean bbq

2 Likes

Now, how did you get your hands on that sweet little bottle stateside?

This weekend was a real mixed bag… I started off with vegetarian momos from Himalayan House on Jefferson (just east of Revolutionario). The dumplings were tasty, but they were kind of doughy.

I also stopped off for tacos at Revolutionario. I should’ve known something was up when my order was ready in just a few minutes. The falafel, which were previously heavenly, were now oil-clogged and slightly rancid. The two vegetarian specials were quite good though.

Today, we ended up at Grand Central Market, and I made a beeline for Madcapra. The green falafel sandwich was as good as ever, but still incredibly salty - almost uncomfortably so. The copious greens and raw cauliflower add some crunch and lightness to what could be a stodgy meal.

I’m a big fan of Valerie Gordon’s baked goods, but the slice of chocolate cake I purchased today was really dry and overly sweet. Womp womp.

7 Likes

The Hermosillo Highland Park. The Fried Pickles/Jalapenos: winner. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report back @MaladyNelson. I’d definitely let Revolutionario know - if the Chef Zadi or his wife is in about what happened.

Re: Madcapra - I figured something like that would happen with Chef Sara & Sarah being at Kismet now. Very unfortunate though (have you been yet?). I think you’d like it. :slight_smile:

Such a bummer. If it’s any consolation, it seems like you might have just caught 'em at a bad time. I was there today at their Sunday spot in Venice, and the wait was the shortest I’d ever had it. I almost felt bad - even though it was right around lunch time, surprisingly, not many people were ordering from 'em. Abbott Kinney is a nightmare these days.

We also ordered the eggplant taco, which was fantastic. Everything was. The beef & potato taco, sweet potato taco and crab taquitos were all wonderful. I hadn’t been for quite some time, but holy lord it’s so good.

Relatives in Belgium rule.

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

Yeah, next time I’ll let them know - if I come across more rancid, pre-made falafel.

I actually don’t think that Madcapra has gone downhill. My previous meals were the same: fresh, tasty, vibrant, but extremely salty. And yes, Kismet is definitely on my list to try. Their broccoli toast, roasted radicchio, and Persian cucumbers are on my list to try. Thanks for the reminder!

1 Like

@Ns1 @kevin

Beef fuckin reeeeebs! at Matiki Island BBQ :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

$10 for 4 beef back ribs, rice and mac salad. $0.50 for double mac.

Gwang Yang :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

9 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

Nice! :slight_smile: What do you recommend at Gwang Yang?

wagyu anchangsal
wagyu kkotsal
octopus hot stone bibimbap
kuro pork belly w/ grilled kimchee

I love how they keep the pork belly nice and thick. Then, cooking all that kimchee with the porky belly basically deglazes the grill and all that flavor cooks with the kimchee. All the pork belly drippings collect in the kimchee too.

1 Like

Kagura Torrance, yesterday. Been craving it since @Chowseeker1999’s review. Everything was good as always, but I thought the dashi in the agedashi tofu was a bit blander than usual.

Millefeuille katsu:

Agedashi tofu:

Crab cream croquettes:

9 Likes

$10 for 4 + sides is a crazy cheap price. I can’t make that for $10.

Gotta hit that up when I’m in OC

3 Likes

if you want extra ribs, i believe it was $2.00 a rib, the price might have gone up though.

1 Like

3 tacos and a drink from Kogi = $9 and change.

Some 8 years later, I’ve made my peace with Kogi. The meat quality is definitely higher than most other taco trucks and now that the lines are reasonable, it has risen on my daily lunch options pecking order.

4 Likes

Kogi puts out solid grub. I can throw down some short rib tacos anytime. The Blackjack Quesdilla is solid.

1 Like

The lenten Friday hacked Filet O’Fihash, with Shamrock Shakes. Happy St. Patty’s, y’all…

11 Likes