March 2021 Rundown

Is this the place in the old Clusi Batusi space?

Don’t know.

It appears not. Different addresses.

The old Restaurant 2117 (which is also the address). In the same strip mall w/ Seoul Tofu, Kimikatsu, and the okonomiyaki place.

I went several yrs ago fairly shortly after it had opened. Not sure if the quality has remained the same, but it was def good back then (edit: but VERY “heavy”). Would def be my preference over, say, the West LA Northern Cafe (but Northern is w/i walking distance for me, and I think the portions are smaller, which is not a bad thing in this case).

Lemonade took over the old Clusi space. Lemonade has closed, and I’m not sure if anything has yet taken its place.

2 Likes

Kaz took over the Lemonade spot - nothing to write home about.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Decent enough if nearby? Can’t think of another place in that area to get soba (but also haven’t really looked).

Tasty Noodle House has been in the Restaurant 2117 space since 2017.

Agree that the Kaz Soba place that occupies Clusi Batusi (and most recently Lemonade) is meh.

2 Likes

too bad was looking forward to having good soba near by esp during the summer.

Had it the other night. Loved. Clipped off the tip of the pepper and dripped the tangy, briny juice on top. :hearts:

Got the Pepperoni too… did the same thing.

…and the Tricolore

13 Likes

No sh_t. I saved my cornicione & garlic sauce for anchovy crostini, but turned my back too long and both cornicione & garlic sauce were gone… “Honey!”

8 Likes

They owed you a vaccine. :wink:

1 Like

hi @TheCookie

Somebody owes you a garlic-anchovy crostini.

I did the same thing and opened up the “good stuff” aka the stuff I forgot about in the back of the fridge.

6 Likes

Was it so good? :hearts::blush::hearts:

2 Likes

Haven’t had it often enough (or recently enough) to say how good it is, but Takuma usually has it on the menu (I think).

Following @Gr8pimpin’s lead at Tasty Noodle House Sawtelle.

Sadly, at least of one our xiao long bao broke open on the way home. The skin is thicker than the impossibly thin DTF, as with most places. I also found the filling a little sweet. Nevertheless, still a good time when paired with a quality chili oil.

The real surprise was the Shanghai shiu mai. I don’t think I’ve had this at a restaurant, and this one was great. A very good choice for takeout as well, as the sticky rice filling ensures most of the skin stays moist.

Carbs on carbs, with bits of mushroom and pork. We like.

14 Likes

SABASZN

Had a couple sababozushi orders over the past few weeks with some chefs doing it as a special. When it’s in season, I feel like it’s so hard to beat.

Jimmy Sugi

Chef Ai

18 Likes

My weekly visit to the Window (Win~Dow :slight_smile:

I absolutely love this place. It is insanely cheap for the quality.

15 Likes

Just returned from covid hiatus, first stop was one of our favorites holbox. Also ordered ceviche and tacos and bang banged with tire shop taqueria daytime aka taqueria San Miguel.

Been looking forward to going to the brick and mortar la morra and if didn’t disappoint. Got the potato add sausage, magherita, and hawaiian all perfectly cooked and just as good as their old pop up at tabula rasa

image image image

20 Likes

welcome back

2 Likes

We always get the kale salad as well. You know, because it’s healthy :laughing:

1 Like

I did not even know they had a kale salad.

My brain instantly blocks out anything on a menu that may be considered a healthy option, so I don’t even see those options.

7 Likes