March 2021 Rundown

From last weekend: I picked up dinner from Danielle de Porres. This is a revisit for me since I tried de-porres in January.

I got one salad, two orders of the roast pork/stew that each was accompanied with sweet potato and rice, and one slice of carrot cake.

The salad was good, and I particularly enjoyed the vegan cashew dressing. I prefer an underdressed salad, so held most of it back to dress my vegetables later in the week. My dining companion and I both highly enjoyed the pork, and the rich, fully spiced broth. There was a hot green salsa on the side that was out-of-this-world. Like not since the hot sauce from African Chop Truck have I had daydreams like ways to squirrel away month long stashes of a side sauce.

The carrot cake was dry, but I like the rest of the food so much from there I’ll try different desserts next time I order.

https://www.de-porres.com/

2 Likes

Is this a different part of the same pizza or a different pizza? For Fucks Sake @kevin

4 Likes

Busy week of take-out and dining out… So much great eats in our city right now!

Ji Rong Peking Duck (San Gabriel)… Splendid presentation for take-out: All de-boned, skinned, and ready for the handwrap frenzy at home! And it’s not just their duck that’s great. Definitely get the duck soup, which is a marvelous, surprisingly light duck broth. Don’t sleep on their Shanghai-style spareribs as well as their special sautéed crab-flavored mushrooms - Perfect with a hot fluffy bowl of rice!

Shamrock McFlurry, to celebrate St. Paddy’s. But the best “green” dish is yet to come…

Ristorante Marino (Melrose)… Under the canopy by the old olive tree, the outdoor area here feels wonderful and relaxing. Chef Sal’s farmers market English pea soup is the very essence of spring itself. I wish I could drown in a tub of this. Fantastic tuna crudo with sea salt, chives and arugula are to die for also.

Northern Cafe (Monterey Park) keeps on doing its thing by shaping large lumps of dough into Q-laden bowls and plates of noodles, Northern Chinese style. The clear beef broth makes for a perfect lunchtime bowl. And the “big plate of chicken” remains messy, spicy heaven…

Macheen pop-up at Milpa Grille (Boyle Heights) - Taco with pollo y mole blanco, garnished with pomegranate in a blue corn tortilla is my “huge bite” of the week. It is straight up delicious as hell. Chef Jonathan Perez is really kicking his menu (QR code provided in photo) up a notch here, but don’t worry - The breakfast Macheen burrito is still way killer.

Brooklyn Pizza Co. (Boyle Heights) - Just across the street from Milpa Grille, this is one of the most bang-worthy joints in the city right now. Try the O.G. pepperoni slice (greasy cup alert!), of course. However, I was most impressed with their esquites pizza, which combines the spirits of both coasts, with each bite just chock full of flavor.

Shunji pop-up at Yamakase (West LA)… Shunji-san’s back in town from Japan. His current iteration of bara chirashi with shirauo, kinmedai, isaki, hotaru ika and myoga simply blew my taste buds out of the water. Can’t wait for his new location in Santa Monica to open.

19 Likes

Two pizzas were available on the day I went (see my first Bulgarini photo)…

3 Likes

They are now seating inside at J Zhou. Tables are spaced apart. I’d estimate capacity is at half of pre covid. We actually would have preferred to sit outside but they were not seating outside even though the tents and tables are still there.

The food is still great and it’s the first dim sum we’ve had in over a year. This is the most hot sauce we’ve ever received here

14 Likes

So, as I mentioned in the bagel thread, after my failure, I went to El Conchinito for their semi-famous Cuban sandwich.

They had a nice little outdoor patio built into the parking lot. Only allowing outside dining.

I’ve had this bookmarked for years after hearing on the news that they won a contest at the International Cuban Sandwich Festival, for best Cuban sandwich in the “traditional” category, beating out a ton of well-known competitors.

For those who do not know, a Cuban sandwich consists of ham, sliced or sometimes shredded roasted pork, Swiss cheese, slightly sour dill pickles, and mustard on cuban bread that is buttered on the top and pressed. Then they slice it lengthwise on a diagonal. Well, that’s the Miami version. Tampa they use salami. For me, it’s not the type of sandwich I would ever say, “wow I got to go get me a Cuban sandwich today.”

I lived in the Tampa Bay area for a couple years as a kid, and lived in Miami where at 15 years old, I actually started my culinary career (LOL - JK) making Cuban sandwiches and medianoches at a popular spot at a busy mall. so I have eaten a few in my day and made them for the Cuban community.

This was pretty right on for a Miami version. The bread texture seemed more like that for a medianoche but not sweet. Everything was balanced as it should be. Not piled high, the pickles and mustard nicely pronounced but not overpowering. All the flavors blended perfectly. Slight little hint of garlic from the pork.

This was exactly as I expected and definitely the closest to an authentic Cuban sandwich I’ve had in ages, though I really have only had them at a few places including Portos.

I need to go there and try the rest of the menu. Looked great and watching the food go by… damn.

Cross posting in the Best Cuban Sandwich Thread

11 Likes

Catching up over the past few weeks!

Ototo

The shrimp and scallop okonomiyaki was my favorite thing on Ototo’s menu in the before times, especially with the presentation having it served on a hot cast iron plate. After having honed my own preparation during the summer closure, I was eager to revisit it in takeout form. Let’s just say that while I really like mine, Chef Namba’s is better. It’s gooier and thicker throughout (how I prefer all pancake-like foods) and studded with big pieces of shrimp and scallop make it a delight to eat. The okonomiyaki comes designed to be finished at home, so you can put as much kewpie Mayo on it as your heart desires.

Valle

While on the pricier side of the taco menu, I really enjoyed the grilled fish tacos enough to go back and get them again as an excuse to try more of the menu.

Taqueando Fest x Tuetano Taqueria

I’ve been missing the birria train, and with so many options I thought I’d put it into Bill Esparza’s hands to deliver an elite experience–and boy did he ever–by bringing in Chef Priscilla Curiel of Tuétano Taquería in San Ysidro.

Not only is the tender, deeply flavored stewed beef an incredible bite on it’s own, it’s elevated by an amazing tortilla. While it didn’t come with the consome that accompanies many birria tacos (you have to order it separately so my b) I used that as an excuse to light my mouth on fire with the luxurious salsa secca. Tuétano Taquería is known for serving roasted bone marrow along with their tacos (a little too rich for what I was looking for this time around, but something I’d add on return to try) and is in residence at the space fka Church and State alongside Ricky’s Fish Tacos.

Iki Ramen

Picked up the regular Kaisen Don which comes with tuna, salmon, kampachi, scallop, ikura, spicy tuna, and crab on a bed of sushi rice. The flavor is great and the fish super fresh (and I appreciate the addition of crab and spicy tuna) but the cuts were quite thin and I wish I had ordered a couple more items. Next time.

Rubie

I’ve sung Chef Gian Scott’s praises over on the Caribbean food thread and took one last swing by for the smoked chicken as his pop up at Sqirl came to a close. Everything was on point and you could tell he was pulling out all the stops as he was wrapping up his run. I’m really looking forward to watching his career and seeing where he takes Rubie next!

Sqirl

I also snagged a couple pastries left in the case–a carrot ginger scone and a slice of kiwi buttermilk pie. I enjoyed both, and it’s a reminder that for all the warranted negative attention they were jammed up with, they do still make some compelling bites.

Hayato

Still the GOAT. In a stunning upset, the black cod was this month’s best bite.

18 Likes

Try their lechon asado. It’s really good!

1 Like

Time to play catch up!

Wexler’s

My semi-regular bagel and cream cheese with lox came open faced this time.

Some assembly and slicing required, but still great as always.

B Sweet

We enjoy Big Boi and finally got around to trying their dessert shop. I wish we started coming here earlier, but then again our health is probably better for it.

We got a whole ube cheesecake in celebration of a birthday. The color is stunning, and I like that it’s not too sweet. The cream cheese frosting is a nice creative touch.

The key lime pie is insanely good! You could serve this at Mozza and it would not be out of place.

I like the bread pudding a lot, although it isn’t something I need to back for. We got the banana chocolate flavor, and the number of available choices is also a little overwhelming.

Sushi Tsujita

I normally don’t seek out DineLA, but the $35 sushi lunch seemed like a killer deal.

Eight pieces, plus the excellent soup and chawanmushi.

Some good cuts, although they are understandably on the smaller side. The ika was the highlight for me this day. The tamago is normally very good, but this time it seemed unusually wet. Still, a much better value compared to the $50 option.

16 Likes

Was this up here? Or did you go to San Ysidro?

2 Likes

saso

disappointing dinner at saso, general lack of flavor all around. favorite part of the meal was the red flame plum and strawberry sorbetto at bulgarini.

PXL_20210322_004718098.PORTRAIT

PXL_20210322_010552690~2

PXL_20210322_010743516

PXL_20210322_011359013~2

PXL_20210322_013434169.PORTRAIT~2

PXL_20210322_021022571.NIGHT~2

PXL_20210322_021351709~2

PXL_20210321_235314829.PORTRAIT~2

13 Likes

I went back for a second visit, and prolly am not coming back. Downhill alert already.

3 Likes

Believe they’re set up in the old Church & State space. Esparza set something like this up last summer/fall too, iirc.

2 Likes

B Sweet has definitely become a monthly lateish night indulgence for us recently.

2 Likes

Up here–operating out of the old Church and State space!

Here’s the website with the details about the pop up (also featuring Ricky’s Fish Tacos on weekends so you can get a little surf and turf taco action):

5 Likes

Welcome Back!

2 Likes

I tried to order it but they were sold-out!

1 Like

Can’t wait for Los Angeles to be warm again it’s been so cold and that’ll make patio down so much more enjoyable!

1 Like

Ladyface Ale has changed their restaurant format - which is a good thing because it had been going downhill for a few years. The restaurant is now called “Tavern Tomoko” https://www.taverntomoko.com/ and features robata skewers as well as good bar fare. They have a beautiful deck with a view of the green Kanan hills (at least they are green now). The skewers are quite good; nicely sauced with a pleasant charcoal taste. Not knock it out of the park, but if you are in this neck of the woods definitely worth a stop, especially if you like fresh beer.

9 Likes

Went to cento on @skramzlife rec. Funghi-shaved cremini witb brown butter and sage, not pictured was the fresh creamy ricotta that you top on each slice. It is actually in the back alley behind tartine sycamore.

Also they charged me a couple bucks extra for some reason. Did not know at the time but it’s definitely more than what is listed on the menu.

I thought it was very delicious but still am a la morra fan. Will be back to try more slices though.

8 Likes