March 2021 Rundown

Was this up here? Or did you go to San Ysidro?

2 Likes

saso

disappointing dinner at saso, general lack of flavor all around. favorite part of the meal was the red flame plum and strawberry sorbetto at bulgarini.

PXL_20210322_004718098.PORTRAIT

PXL_20210322_010552690~2

PXL_20210322_010743516

PXL_20210322_011359013~2

PXL_20210322_013434169.PORTRAIT~2

PXL_20210322_021022571.NIGHT~2

PXL_20210322_021351709~2

PXL_20210321_235314829.PORTRAIT~2

13 Likes

I went back for a second visit, and prolly am not coming back. Downhill alert already.

3 Likes

Believe they’re set up in the old Church & State space. Esparza set something like this up last summer/fall too, iirc.

2 Likes

B Sweet has definitely become a monthly lateish night indulgence for us recently.

2 Likes

Up here–operating out of the old Church and State space!

Here’s the website with the details about the pop up (also featuring Ricky’s Fish Tacos on weekends so you can get a little surf and turf taco action):

5 Likes

Welcome Back!

2 Likes

I tried to order it but they were sold-out!

1 Like

Can’t wait for Los Angeles to be warm again it’s been so cold and that’ll make patio down so much more enjoyable!

1 Like

Ladyface Ale has changed their restaurant format - which is a good thing because it had been going downhill for a few years. The restaurant is now called “Tavern Tomoko” https://www.taverntomoko.com/ and features robata skewers as well as good bar fare. They have a beautiful deck with a view of the green Kanan hills (at least they are green now). The skewers are quite good; nicely sauced with a pleasant charcoal taste. Not knock it out of the park, but if you are in this neck of the woods definitely worth a stop, especially if you like fresh beer.

9 Likes

Went to cento on @skramzlife rec. Funghi-shaved cremini witb brown butter and sage, not pictured was the fresh creamy ricotta that you top on each slice. It is actually in the back alley behind tartine sycamore.

Also they charged me a couple bucks extra for some reason. Did not know at the time but it’s definitely more than what is listed on the menu.

I thought it was very delicious but still am a la morra fan. Will be back to try more slices though.

8 Likes

Zacatecas

Parking lot dining in Hawthorne.

Carnitas all crisped up.

Substituted vegetables for the rice and beans. Got to make up for my bagel bender last week. Though I guess there are quite a few high-sugar carrots in here. Zucchini, carrots, bell peppers, onions. I love that they give you this option though.

Grilled shrimp

This salsa fresca is a beverage for me.

14 Likes

Fish Sandwich bang bang

Popeye’s flounder sandwich - only decent and quite salty…batter is a little hard and thiccc.

McD’s filet-o-fish - soft bun and flaky fish. easy winner between the two.

17 Likes

Burgers Never Say Die

I love this place!! Damn, crispy edges.

The guy at the window may be the nicest evah!!

17 Likes

My daughter got the Popeye’s flounder sandwich a few days ago, and it did not look as dried out as yours! Hers looked great - a thick piece of fish, not over fried and hard looking, and she said it was tasty too!

2 Likes

Gotta rebang then.

I was thoroughly underwhelmed by Popeye’s fish sandwich. I’ll stick to the spicy chicken sandwich.

2 Likes

I’ve become a semi-regular at So-Cal Burgers in East LA. The burgers are very good, solid fries + onion rings. It’s on Mednick, across the street from the East LA Civic Center, and just down the street from Belvedere Skate Park (also the site of the Saturday Farmer’s Market). There are spaced tables outside, nothing available inside.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/so-cal-burgers-chill-and-grill-los-angeles

It’s in a strip mall, the parking has been easy, and the restaurant takes credit cards. Hooray!

6 Likes

Catching up on a few outings before we get to April.

Oui Melrose / Tony Khachapuri

I got the original khachapuri, which is cheese and egg yolk, and it was yummy and oh so rich. Fun to tear off pieces and dip into that gooey center, but it got a little monotonous. Those peppers on the side were great to cut through the richness. I’ll prob try other toppings next time.

Mendocino Farms

Their seasonal special Crispy Chicken Sandwich - the chicken is air fried, so it’s not as crispy or decadent, but it’s overall a solid sandwich with a nice slaw that compliment the chicken and a good brioche bun that holds up to everything. I got this as part of their $40 meal deal - 4 sandwiches + 2 sides after 3pm, great deal IMO.

Modo Hawaii - inside the Irvine Mitsuwa

Tried these for the first time, and they were a crispy, chewy delight. I liked the fruit flavors better, with the lilikoi and strawberry adding some tartness and brightness. The black sesame and matcha didn’t have enough of either flavor. Next time I might try to get one plain and then dust with sugar or powdered sugar.

Gazzolo’s Sausages - San Bernardino

I was in San Bernardino for a really random reason and found this German/Austrian place and figured what the hell. Everything was fine, definitely salty. They make all their own sausages, sauerkraut, etc. The QPR is pretty great - this whole plate was $12, excuse the crappy photo.

Now here’s where the story takes a turn - and apologies for the political off-topic drift. I called in the order, and when I arrived, I was greeted by a giant Trump 2020 flag inside. Like, 4-5 feet high, 8-10 feet wide, can’t be missed. The server couldn’t be nicer, but as a person of color and given what’s happening to Asian Americans around the country, I wanted to just walk out. But I’d already ordered and didn’t want to leave them hanging. So I just paid, got my food, and left.

Taking this back to restaurants/eating out, curious what you all would’ve done. I feel like saying something to the server wouldn’t have really accomplished anything although maybe it would make them consider its impact on potential customers. Then again, they’ve been around since the '50s (so they told me) and know their customers, so maybe they don’t need to.

12 Likes

Might as well complain that the sky is blue

4 Likes