March Weekend Rundown (2016)

Song Phat
Duck Noodle Soup - no picture - was great with pickled jalapenos
Fried Quail - perfect

Banh Beo - not sure if that’s the right name - shrimp/fish sauce on a semi-crepes/semi-pudding cup

7 Likes

What kind of tacos did you get? They look fantastic.

Ohmigod, good thing you mentioned those were dog biscuits b/c I otherwise would’ve asked how they were! :smiley:

1 Like

Hanger steak taco and Ahi Poke tostada. Wonderful

1 Like

Well, my husband used to eat dog biscuits as a kid! The chef said her homemade biscuits were made out of rye, barley, carrots, and parsley. They can’t be half bad!

Wadatsumi by Harikawa

hamachi kama
hitsumabushi with japanese wagyu

B Sweet Dessert

ube stuffed donut #purpleisafruit

Dai ho

minced meat with dry noodles
beef stew

Little Sister

Pho banh cuon
the $11 banh mi
lemongrass chicken

8 Likes

yep, that’s the one. If you were at the Happy Honda event in HB we were there (not sure which GSD rescue you’re affiliated with, but I did see OC GSD rescue was there)

The ones at Yuko’s are much lighter, less of a gut bomb than the Jogasaki ones. Just the right balance of everything. The Unagi and the Tempura White Fish are our favorite.

–Dommy!

1 Like

HA! I downloaded the foster form over the holidays and facebook stalk. :wink: I foster and do marketing for Westside German Shepherd Rescue (Which is located near DTLA. Don’t ask.) and we don’t do that many events as we have our own kennel facility. Good for you guys. We are gong to foster one more Shepherd soon but hope to join one of the hikes soon and cuddle the corgis. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When I say I used to work in the “food business” the company I worked for also made pet food and at one point in time we all had a bite of “something” we made. The standard dog biscuit is mostly like a REALLY bland oatmeal cookie. No salt. No Sugar. No Spice. No nothing. I think dogs get excited about them because we give it to them… LOL!!

–Dommy!

1 Like

I have no idea if this was the right place, because people don’t really enjoy sharing their SGV secrets, but I went by a place called Saigon Sandwich and Bakery in the SGV on Valley Blvd today to get some Banh Mi to bring to Lodge Bread. Really solid stuff. They won’t put headcheese in the egg banh mi, but the egg tastes incredible by itself (separately, the headcheese also pretty nice, real funky, the Lodge guys loved it). Thit nuong is also really good. This is the first time I had a $3.50 (technically less since buy 2 get 1 free) where I though the bread was actually legitimate quality, and ingredients inside also seemed fresher than usual. It’s at least little more understandable why some people wouldn’t get Banh Mi at Little Sister.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDNIQfzE0Ow/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

I also got a shit ton of beef rolls from 101, that old standby. Still tasty as ever to my palette, although they cost like $9 instead of $6 now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDNIVlrE0O4/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

And Lodge did awesome pizza as well, a kind of salad pizza with feta…mmmmmmmm

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDNIc5Ek0O_/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

4 Likes

It’s that time of the season again. Fresh English Peas are back in season.

Pizzeria Mozza
I remember the amazing seasonal pizza I got last year from Mozza and had to stop by to see if they had it again…

Fried Squash Blossoms (with Ricotta):

Light, crunchy, great. :slight_smile:

Fennel Sausage, Panna, Mozzarella, Red Onions & Scallions Pizza:

Really lovely flavors with the Fennel Sausage and Red Onions, and the crunch / crust.

English Peas, Asparagus, Fontina & Bacon Pizza:
(We ordered the full size version (it’s on the menu as a Pizzetta (S))

They changed the recipe slightly because of seasonal items (no green garlic), and they used Bacon instead of Guanciale. But it was still just amazing! Love the fresh, farmers market English Peas. They’re sweet, not mushy, and add this fragrance to the whole pie. It really makes it stand out.

I think last year’s version with Guanciale works better (it’s a more subtle porky flavor, more fragrant), but the Bacon worked as well. Not sure how much longer they’ll have this before English Peas are out of season again. @lapizzamaven would love this. :slight_smile:

Pizzeria Mozza
641 North Highland Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Tel:(323) 297-0101

http://www.mozzarestaurantgroup.com/

Amboy (Pop-Up) (via Unit 120)
From Chef Alvin Cailan (founder of Egg Slut) comes Amboy, a Filipino pop-up restaurant at “Unit 120” which is a space he’s set aside as a rotating test kitchen of sorts.

I’m not an expert on Filipino cuisine, so I’ll let the FTC experts chime in :), but Amboy’s concept presents customers with a choice of Protein (Chicken, Pork, Steak, Seafood (seasonal TBD)), along with a choice of Vegetables to add in, and White or Brown Rice. You can also add a side of Legumes (3 types).

Any of those combinations are then wrapped in a Banana Leaf (as a portable “plate”) and you’re set.

Dark Meat Chicken, Bok Choy, Brown Rice (they screwed up and gave me White Rice):

The Chicken was really delicious! :slight_smile: The skin was crisped, the fat rendered out, the meat tasted fresh and juicy. The spices and flavors were slightly more nuanced and interesting than a standard Roasted Chicken. The Bok Choy was fine. Very soft, rather lightly seasoned.

The only issue I had with the dish / concept is that none of the ingredients were actually cooked in the Banana Leaf, so there wasn’t any special flavor imparted to the Rice, or the Chicken or Vegetables from the Banana Leaf. So it just tasted like the individual ingredients, and not as cohesive as, say, a Lotus Wrapped Chicken dish for Dim Sum.

Chickpeas (Kaldereta) (Stewed in Roasted Bell Pepper Tomato Sauce):

They were soft, yet not overcooked, and the Tomato Bell Pepper Sauce was very clean and not oily at all. It was zesty, tangy, and fine. Nice to eat over the rice.

Malas (Filipino Donut):

It seems Chef Cailan invited a friend to help make Malas, which the kitchen staff said was like a “Filipino Donut”. I was excited to try it. But strangely, they weren’t anywhere near as addictive or amazing as fresh-made Beignets or even a freshly fried traditional Donut. Instead, they were slightly soggy, soft, partially airy (but not as light as I thought it could be), and very sweet (caramelized coconut milk).

Amboy
(Far East Plaza - Across from Chego)
727 N. Broadway, Unit 120
Los Angeles, CA 90012

http://www.unit120.com/

9 Likes

Real nice weekend, @PorkyBelly. Those are some of my favorite food groups - wagyu, noodles, and ice cream stuffed donuts from B Sweet.

Lovely pic of the chicken, @Chowseeker1999. :yum:

1 Like

hey, i went to settebello for the first time. had the doc.
i really liked it. go figure.

Hey Chowseeker… i think youre right! havent been to Mozza in a while…time to go back, those pies look great! i’ll be goin to the Seabird again this Sat to hear my favorite horn player, Azar Lawrence too! thanks for the mention!

Sat. lunch with the wife at Adana. Prices have gone up a little since the Goldster’s review, and they seem to be doing more business. Chicken kebab still excellent, as was the fatoush, which is made with purslane, and not with parsley.

5 Likes

I still don’t quite get how you eat so much on a regular basis… But I’m glad you do, and I’m glad you share. :slight_smile:

Were the donuts kind of like galub jamun?

Love fried squash blossoms…

Pok Pok Phat Thai
I finally got around to trying this place, after reading so many mixed reviews on the place. This is Chef Andy Ricker’s initial restaurant in L.A., before he opened the larger “Pok Pok” flagship. Per the name, it focuses primarily on the popular “Pad Thai” (Phat Thai) Noodle dish that’s so beloved around the world.

Ordered the original Phat Thai Thamadaa (Thin Rice Noodles cooked in rendered Pork Fat, Tamarind, Fish Sauce, Palm Sugar, Peanuts, Dried Tofu, Dried Shrimp, Preserved Radish, Egg, Garlic Chives, Bean Sprouts):

I’m familiar with the controversial “plainness” of the Phat Thai Noodles, where according to the restaurant staff, you (the customer) should add whatever seasoning you want, to season it how you like it.

I tried some of the Phat Thai Noodles by themselves, and it was super plain, rather bland. I then attempted to utilize each of the 5 condiments to try and make it more… palatable / tasty?

Started with adding a spoonful of the Naam Plaa (Fish Sauce), mixing it around thoroughly. It helped a bit, but was still lacking. I added some more. No bueno.

I added some Phrik Naam Plaa (Fresh Chile Fish Sauce) for more heat and some umaminess. It helped a bit, but again, it tasted rather bland.

I then added some Phrik Naam Som (Mild Chilies in Vinegar), which gave it some sour / tartness. Slightly better.

I then added Naam Tan (Sugar). Half a spoonful. Mixed it in. No good. I added in another half spoonful. Slightly better but still not that good.

I added in another spoonful of Sugar, and mixed it in. At this point it started to sort of taste like “Pad Thai” that I’m familiar with around L.A., but it might not be authentic? Who knows?

On a side note I was horrified and disgusted about the amount of Sugar that must be needed to make Pad Thai taste like Pad Thai that we usually get in many places around L.A. With 2 generous spoonfuls of Sugar it still didn’t taste like “Pad Thai” that is normally found around L.A.

And ultimately I think that’s my issue with Pok Pok Phat Thai. I guess I’m in the same camp as @Dommy and the other FTCers who aren’t fans of this place. It’s not bad at all, but I seriously don’t know what the baseline of “Authentic Phat Thai” is supposed to be. I added in a little bit of all the condiments and tried to season the best that I could, but is that “correct”?

I liken it to going to an Italian restaurant and they put a plate of Bucatini or Spaghetti in front of you with a basic Tomato Sauce, but then give you jars of Oregano, Basil, Sauteed Vegetables, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and other ingredients and tell you to finish the pasta sauce to your liking.

I guess it can work? But it’s off-putting to me, and feels like the lazy way out. The baseline Phat Thai you get there is super bland and doesn’t stand by itself. So you have to start adding in a bunch of stuff to make it taste edible. Maybe that’s the authentic way, but I don’t know enough about Phat Thai authenticity, nor have a good baseline to understand what I should be shooting for.

Pok Pok Phat Thai
727 N. Broadway, Los Angeles 90012
Tel: (213) 628-3071
http://pokpokphatthaila.com/

Officine Brera
I remembered all the mediocre / so-so reviews on Officine on our board, but a friend really wanted to try the place, so we went.

First off, it is a beautiful space. Partly low-key “retro / rustic” (with the old brick and exposed sheet metal roof), but also lots of sleek wood and mood lighting.

Fagiolini (Blue Lake Green Beans, Radicchio, Baby Kale, Toasted Hazelnut, Raspadura, Garda Oil):

While far too many salads in LA are overdressed (drowning in dressing), Officine Brera’s Fagiolini Salad was severely underdressed. Maybe it’s on purpose, and I like my salads on the light side, but this tasted like we were eating raw Green Beans, Radicchio, Kale, etc. with barely anything helping to tie it all together. The ingredients were fresh, but it was rather bland.

Cannelloni (Braised Beef Stuffed Oven Baked Fresh Pasta, Melted Cheese & Chard Bechamel, Reggiano):

This was pretty decent. Nothing mind-blowing, but a tasty, straightforward, savory pasta. The Bechamel sauce was OK (just fine, but again, nothing spectacular). At $22 (before T&T) you’d hope for something more outstanding.

Pesce Risotto (Vialone Nano Veronese IGP Rice, Pan Roasted Langoustines, Smoked Eel, Black Mussels, Clams):

Thanks to @Novelli @TonyC @Aesthete @CiaoBob and others for the rec, I definitely wanted to make sure to try their Risotto. I remember TonyC really liked the seafood one and…

An awesome recommendation! :slight_smile: The Risotto definitely had a great texture about it, not overcooked, it had some bite to it, but was still tender, and the balance of brininess of the sea, the fresh seafood (minus the Langoustines) and the sauce really all came together. The Smoked Eel and Mussels and Clams really stood out with the Rice. :slight_smile:

Manzo All’Olio (Slow Braised Beef Shoulder, Root Vegetables, Anchovy Oil, Potatoes, Natural Jus):

In an utter failure to remember what @TonyC @CiaoBob and others had warned about (I remember Novelli’s Veal warning though! LOL), I mistakenly ordered the exact dish they warned to stay away from. :weary: Oh well, LOL.

The Beef Shoulder was really tender. And it was as Tony mentioned: It was rather salty. And it was just so-so. The flavors tasted like something I’ve had before. Very ordinary, slow-roasted / braised Beef dish. Red wine, natural jus. It tasted like stuff I could make at home (and I’m not bragging, just stating it was very ordinary in flavors).

In the end, the only thing I could see myself coming back for is for the Seafood Risotto. It was rather expensive (most of the pastas (small portions are above $20), their meat dishes from $28 - $68), so at these prices, you’d hope for a more compelling and inspired dining experience, which Officine did not deliver on.

Officine Brera
1331 E 6th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90021
Tel: (213) 553-8006
http://officinebrera.com/

6 Likes

@Chowseeker1999 I think it’s unanimous that Pok Pok Phat Thai is a miss. It’s Pok Pok LA that has some decent dishes (eg. pork shoulder and belly curry) :wink:

1 Like

It’s so true that dogs probably like about anything we give them. Well if I ever get really desperate, I now know it’s probably safe to eat a dog biscuit. Maybe I can slather it with Sriracha.

Oh and you’ve got me sold on trying Yuko’s burritos; I’ll have to try something new on the menu. Thanks for the recommendation, @Dommy!

1 Like