Mas' Chinese Islamic Restaurant (Anaheim): A Pictorial Essay

Not sure I have (knowingly) had shacha before.
How does shacha sauce differ from X.O.?
Ingredients seem (kinda) similar.

Sha cha sauce (Chinese: 沙茶; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: sa-te; also spelled sa cha sauce), or paste is a Chinese condiment primarily used in Fujian, Teochew, and Taiwanese cuisines. It is made from soybean oil, garlic, shallots, chilis, brill fish, and dried shrimp.[1] It has a savory and slightly spicy taste.

If you’ve had Chinese hot pot chances are you’ve had sa cha. Think of sa cha as the grainy mustard to the regular yellow mustard that is XO sauce.

3 Likes

Ahhh, that is the grainy stuff I usually mix with cilantro and sesame paste (and lots of other stuff) for hot pot dipping sauce???

Si Señor.

1 Like

I should mention that Ahgoo’s Kitchen in Temple City makes a great supersized creation that’s essentially a cross-breed of a typical scallion pancake and sesame bread.

It’s especially good with their lamb with satay sauce, as well as the salty egg yolk and pumpkin stir-fry. But the mapo tofu is too insipid for me, eats almost like a bowl of soup.

1 Like

i recommend the deep fried fish at ahgoo

bring friends to share that bread - eating it yourself followed by drinking a lot of liquid could lead to a repeat of that scene from monty python meaning of life.

For all you south OC people . From OC Weekly.

Ma’s Chinese Islamic of Anaheim has opened Ma’s House, a new restaurant in Laguna Hills. Menu items include sesame bread and multiple lamb dishes.
24291 Avenida De La Carlota, Laguna Hills, CA 92653

3 Likes