Masakazu (Westwood): A Pictorial Essay

Great report and photos, @petoketo! And welcome to FTC!

4 Likes

ssssshhh

can we keep this place a secret between ourselves please!

Thank you so much.

2 Likes

Welcome

1 Like

Two thumbs up from me!

Masakazu currently has two options: a 13-14 piece sushi-only omakase for $80, or that plus a few appetizers for $120.

I went with a friend and we got the $120 option (out of interest, but in part because I was relatively certain that 14 pieces of sushi wouldnā€™t be enough food).

The ā€œappetizersā€ become more and more substantial as the meal goes on - my last interlude appeared to be an entire grilled filet (iirc, snapper). The other two were the same as the ones @petoketo received, except instead of the oyster we got sliced snapper sashimi, served tataki-style.

Nigiri highlights for me were the akami, binnaga, hotate, and saba.

Shin-san was more than happy to chat on a variety of subjects - his commentary was another highlight of the meal.

QPR is a steal, of course. Go while itā€™s still under the radar (relatively speaking) - they stop accepting reservations well under the physical capacity of the sushi bar, due to Shin-sanā€™s desire to maintain a properly paced meal for all of his customers, and the unfortunate lack of a second itamae.

5 Likes

Totally agree w/ everything that has been written here. Went several wks ago and thought that eveything was delicious. I donā€™t think anyone has commented on the incredible fish broth that is (or was to us, at least) served as an amuse bouche. Itā€™s a tiny serving, but itā€™s one of the most amazing things Iā€™ve ever tasted in my life. I asked Shin-san what fish were in it; he looked a bit puzzled as he thought about it and couldnā€™t quite remember them all (and I, unfortunately, donā€™t remember which specific fish he mentioned). At any rate, that little sip was a bite of the year for me. :slight_smile:

He offered uni as a supplement (@SpockSpork and I got the lower-price omakase). I couldnā€™t help but chuckle and think of @PorkyBelly and @Chowseeker1999 as I ate it. I donā€™t actually know if Iā€™ve ever had uni before! And, after trying it, I get why people like it. Custardy, a bit sweet, a bit salty, and just a deliciously strange texture. Yum.

Only 6 people were there (incl us) during our meal, and it felt so quietly intimate and lovely.

This place is really a gem, IMHO. Manyy thanks to @J_L for letting us know about this place. Would happily eat here again and again (and w/ the higher-priced menu), if only my budget would allow for it! :slight_smile:

Only 2 of my pics turned out. I assume the first is seared tuna?

9 Likes

that broth is really good! he is a great host and easy to chat.

2 Likes

Going here for the first time tomorrow and very excited!

Any updates on recent dishes/fish Shin-San has been serving?

2 Likes

Went to masakazu a couple of weeks back. Our meal was very uneven. Long waits in between nigiri.

Shin-San seemed overwhelmed with six guests. Some of the neta were unevenly sliced and some of the rice was not well packed and I felt he was very heavy handed with some of the sauce preparations for the different fishes. However, overall the fish quality was quite good and it was a good deal for the price.

He was very friendly especially towards the end after the party of two had finished their dinner. The server mentioned that it was their one year anniversary of opening the restaurant and that shin-san wants to do homemade soba for lunch. Which I think definitely would be received well.

5 Likes

Iā€™d love that (esp since Iā€™m now working close by).

Heā€™s been saying heā€™ll make soba since he opened. Iā€™ve been patiently waiting.

4 Likes

Has he gotten help yet? There no way heā€™s going to be able to soba until he gets an assistant to help with dinner

1 Like

No assistant server mentioned they are having trouble finding one.

Itā€™s become a pickup line. :grin:

Iā€™ll have another round of sushi while I wait :wink:

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_xsawzJlkT/?igshid=159g66pfhj566

4 Likes

I had dinner here a few weeks ago. Mixed thoughts.

On the plus side, the technical execution was near flawless - everything about the shari (temperature, acidity, packing, etc) & neta was fantastic (except the uni, which was middling at best). The saba was extraordinary; easily the best Iā€™ve had in a long time (incl. well before covid). My only minor quibble is that nearly everything had some sort of dressing/saucing (& was rarely nikiri). Nothing overbearing but if youā€™re looking for something more traditional you probably wonā€™t find it here.

On the downsideā€¦ thereā€™s only one option in terms of sizing and itā€™s 15 pieces of sushi for $100. There arenā€™t really any ā€œbonus roundsā€ to speak of. The pieces are small - itā€™s simply not enough food (at least for a substantial percentage of the population). Another 5 pieces wouldā€™ve been trivially accommodated; 10 probably wouldnā€™t be a stretch, either, though the pacing would need to speed up a bit to make it practical. But as it is itā€™s difficult to recommend it as a holistic experience given that youā€™re likely to leave hungry.

I think if they can weather the storm of the pandemic and introduce an extended menu - at the very least something like their pre-pandemic offering with a few ā€œappetizersā€ to round things out - then itā€™ll be a fantastic option at this price point.

4 Likes