Mastro's Steakhouse Beverly Hills

But what do you think from a grub standpoint ??

Still curious why you said enigmatically ???

possibly speaks to the quality of the food at mastroā€™s. i dunnoā€¦was
the seafood tower that much better than what you can get from the tanks at
neptuneā€™s net? was the bone in ribeye anything more thanā€¦fine? the creamed spinach wasā€¦fine.
the drinks large, but not made all that well.
the filet comped because it was horrendously overcooked.
i must be missing something.

call me wacky, call me irresponsible, but the best steak iā€™ve had in l.a. might have
been one i had at beacon way back.

1 Like

Kev, Iā€™m no prude, and not offended in any way, and had many years as a bad boy, but Iā€™ve learned and changeed over the years. Iā€™m a father to a daughter and a husband to my wife and a son to my mom and all around a big fan of women who bring so much to our lives and world and Iā€™m gonna say that in this instance Iā€™m not interested in hooker talk either. I think itā€™s one thing to appreciate a pretty lady but quite another to commodotize one, or to commodotize women in some general way either. I think that this sort of talk would certainly make the women i love squeamish and it makes me a bit queasy too. Iā€™m not surprised by porthos reaction here and im glad he had the courage to say something ā€“ this is a lot different than F bombing. I donā€™t want us to alienate WSG and all the other nice contributing members and think we should all be more sensitive to it because I donā€™t want to live in a world where women are bought and sold, and even though it happens sadly, it makes me sad. This is a subject Iā€™m always will to stand up for. Lots of love to all, thatā€™s all I got.

3 Likes

You are 110% correct JJ.

Just a bad joke on my part.

As always I wish everyone the very best.

And Porthos is right.

Maybe I shouldnā€™t be part of the problem.

But our illustrius hound is correct, I think, when he mentioned that most of the posts on Mastros in addition to the steaks and seafood towner and ultrq-rich butter cakes descends at some point into the utter fucking depths of the hooker scene.

JJ and others I more than respect your opinions.

Now back to the fucking grub if thatā€™s cool.

2 Likes

shit, I just realized thereā€™s another post that was in bad taste. :frowning:

thanks, and I get it youā€™re ā€˜in characterā€™ in your ā€˜writing voiceā€™ too ā€“ I appreciate it and your wit, knowledge and contributions to all of us.

1 Like

You misunderstood me. Iā€™m pointing out that you and a couple of others will always render useless a Mastroā€™s thread with inappropriate references.

This is not how we want to attract new members nor how we want to establish a new site.

Hope you guys have the decency to retrain yourselves in the future.

3 Likes

Portos, your are absolutely correct.

Thanks buddy.

I have not been since the ownership change, but always liked the rib eye, drinks and thought the sea food tower, while expensive, was quite good.

last time i was there they didnā€™t give you the huge chrome martini shaker with essentially 2 extra drinks in it with my $18 chilled chopin ā€“ no vermouth for me. That would be a bad change. I still enjoyed the meat, food and atmosphere

Porterhouse is excellent but agree with others that ribeye and bone-in filet or New York are better.

I think the sides have really gone downhill over the years.

Seafood Tower is amazing especially the giant shrimp.

wow, this joint is really fucking baller.

25 to 40 cocktails (ok, there may be only a couple bourbon high ball cocktails at the $40 mark).

$65 steaks.

and $20 desserts.

adds up really fucking fast.

btw, even given the high prices is it possible to split a steak and maybe a couple sides and one dessert ???

seems like the kind of joint that has a minimum.

those lobster mashed are around 35 bones same with the truffle gnocchi. snap peas around $15

Iā€™m crying at the prices. Then people saying itā€™s not good too.

Personally, I have never been a fan of Mastroā€™s.

That said, Mastroā€™s isnā€™t appreciably more or less expensive than other steakhouses of its ilk.

If you go, just go with the expectation of having a solid meal centered around red beef, and consider whatever damage you have to pay for at the end of the meal as just the expected price of participation for eating at a higher-end steakhouse in LA.

And youā€™re definitely fucking paying for the four-floor real estate behemoth. And the necessary rent that would entail, unless I guess they happen to own the site outright ???

no clue on that though.

and that ainā€™t no fucking joke.

1 Like

I didnā€™t say it wasnā€™t good, I actually like it there (my mother loves it there, as do a few friends). Itā€™s just stupidly expensive - mostly in the drinks - I mean, all the restaurants and bars that used to charge $20/drink backed off of that price point, all except Mastros. And itā€™s true, now that I think of it, the last time I didnā€™t get a shaker with my drink. I think my bar tab is always higher than the food tab.

when i went not too long ago, i did get a shaker with a little extra with each of my cocktails.