Matsutake mushrooms (2016) sightings?

The season is upon us. Any seasonal matsutake mushrooms dishes on LA menus?

Hsi Lai Temple just received what must have been about 50 pounds of these gems. Got to take home about a bagful for myself.

Wondering if there are any new menu sightings.

1 Like

Raku

Hi @ipsedixit,

Yah recently at Shunji in the form of Matsutake Dobinmushi.

And Inaba, as Matsutake Tempura (delicious!).

Just had dinner at Kimagure and saw the kitchen chef cleaning a mushroom. Ike-san said he’ll make matsutake sushi. We’d just finished eating so didn’t try it–next time! BTW, he also said that pretty much all the matsutakes being served “here” (LA? US? Not clear) are from the Pacific Northwest, not from Japan, which would make sense given the difference in cost.

1 Like

Mori is serving a matssutake dobinmushi.

1 Like

Kiriko served a matsutake dobinmushi a few weeks ago.

1 Like

Just saw that last night’s specials menu at Osawa in Pasadena included Matsutake Dobinmushi. and an Unaju Set with Matsutake Mushroom Soup. (And, FWIW, Live Spiny Lobster Sashimi–at $98!!!)

1 Like

Most ise ebi (spiny lobster) caught from California waters get shipped immediately and directly to Asia, where they fetch top prices. Enjoy our local spiny lobster - It’s a relatively rare treat!

2 Likes

Yeah. If I’m lucky enough to be in Avalon (Catalina Island) during spiny lobster season, I always order a locally-caught lobster dinner at The Lobster Trap; at ~$50 I consider it money well-spent. I suppose we have the makings of a new thread here, since it’s the season…

2 Likes

@happycat Yes, please. I love spiny lobster.

Wolfgang Puck at the Bel Air has them. Don’t they look happy? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This probably isn’t news, but if you want to DYI, I saw them at Mitsuwa today. A couple of (USA sourced) med-sized, closed-capped specimens per plastic-wrapped package (don’t recall weight or price per pound) at about $15/pkg.

2 Likes

Morinoya for the best Matsutake Dobinmushi I’ve had so far in SoCal.

2 Likes