Maui & Kauai recommendations

Hi,

I’m planning on visiting Maui and Kauai this summer. We will be staying in Wailea, with a night in Hana, and on Princeville. Any recommendations for places to eat, all meals, any cuisine?

We eat everything. Hoping to gather a list of favs, and plan on exploring both islands pretty extensively.

Thanks!

I did a lot of research and concluded that you should temper your expectations because the food isn’t going to be like Honolulu.

Good Kauai recommendations here

3 Likes

Hamura Saimin in Kauai, for their saimin and also get the Lilikoi chiffon pie.

2 Likes

Yeah, Kauai is like the countryside of Hawaii and Honolulu is like the big city of Hawaii. My wife’s cousins are from Lihue in Kauai and the island life is more of a slow pace and there’s not a lot of new restaurants. Most restaurants that open are from people who grew up on Kauai and the food is made to a certain local taste. At least, that’s the impression i got but i didn’t stay at the big resorts and only hung out with the family most times, mostly in Lihue and the bowling alley. lol

2 Likes

Sounds great. There are always some good eats and gems at bowling alleys. Gardena Bowl and Aiea Bowl come to mind.

1 Like

yeah, for sure, there was a place in Kauai next to the bowling alley which had a pretty good Hawaiian oxtail soup. not as good as Aiea bowl but pretty good. It’s been at least 5 years since I’ve been back so i don’t really know what’s been going on over there…

Huihui at The Kaanapali Beach Hotel was my #1 meal on Maui in Nov. of 21. The Restaurant at the Hotel Wailea ($$$$) was pretty spectacular as well. :slight_smile:

Got back from some time on Maui while staying at the theme park by the sea, i.e., the Hyatt Regency. And it does have decent eateries to wit the much lauded Japengo and Sonz’s Steakhouse.
Despite all the nonsense on Open Table and at the desk at Japengo, you can get a table there if you wait about 15 minutes or get a seat at the bar. The sushi is good and the seafood is good although not as good as you might find in LA. Japengo has a good wine list to complement the fish.
Sonz’s has tables but is meat centric. I saw a tomahawk steak there that was enormous. The spiny lobster I ate was pretty good but not that special.
Leilani’s at the Beach (in nearby Whalers Village) has pretty much all the surf and turf stuff you might want, and I had some well prepared opaka paka there.
Still the best meals I enjoyed were at Roy’s where (again contrary to bs on Open Table seats are available), I had great crispy calamari, delicious butterfish and some very subtle and satisfying au (basically a Hawaiian analogue to swordfish with a light macadamia nut coating). And Roy’s wine list is appropriate.
Reflecting on the talk of $350 meals at Manzke, I note that while the food and service in Maui are at a lower level, you can get a meal for two with a few glasses of wine for something in the $180-$230 range plus tip. And when you aren’t eating, there’s a great beach.

If you are headed to Kauai be prepared to cook your own food if you want to eat well. There are no great restaurants. Aina is not worth going to. AMA is fine. Bar Acuda is fine. Anatta Thai is fine. Sushi Girl is actually pretty good. Kalalea Juice Hale has great açaí bowls. Nourish Hanalei has decent açaí and decent salads. Wishing Well has great shave ice (look for what fruit they have in season). Kilauea Fish Market has decent ahi wraps with great sesame dressing.

1 Like

Don’t overlook the simple goodness of Hamura Saimin on Kauai.

2 Likes

I have just found out I am going to Maui for the week between xmas and new years, and we’re staying at the Sheraton Ka’anapali resort. Baller style. :slight_smile:

This thread (and others, I’m sure) will prove invaluable.

2 Likes