May 2016 Weekend Rundown

Came back from NYC and did a quick little DTLA bang^3

Joe’s Pizza / DTLA - just had to do a quick comparison…I understand crispy pepperoni cups now. This did not have crispy pepperoni cups. I’m not sure if the OG Joe’s did either TBH, but Prince St Pizza sure as hell did. But this location did have parm…which is evidently hard to find by default in NYC.

Second time at Uli…california pistachio x mint and chip. So damn good! Generous portion too, excellent QPR for gelato.

Wrapped up with a 101 Noodle feast

10 Likes

Is the big hunk of meat in the ramen pork???

yup. 1 giant piece of chashu. very similar in texture to kakuni when done like that IMO.

1 Like

From what I remembered from the OG Joe’s, it was the same kind of flaccid pepperoni posted. And I never understood the lure of Joe’s, aside from the movie references.

1 Like

Holy cow! We just got the Tan Tan Mien last time we went. Going to have to go back and try this instead!!

–Dommy!

it’s my favorite bowl of shoyu in the city. thanks to @Chowseeker1999 for the original rec.

Where is 101 Noodle’s Downtown location?

That wasn’t part of the bang^3

I went to the Valley/New location later at night to get my noodle on. Evidently when I get home from long trips all I want is noodles…might be a Pa Ord night (along with some 101 leftovers)

Maple’s Chicken n Waffles in…wait for it…Ontario. And some really good food.

Fat Sal’s…borderline inedible. You have been warned.

Republique to eat the taste of disgusting food out of my mouth

Then Donut Farm for vegan donuts. The best one the bunch was the Philz coffee donut. Worst was the strawberry fritter.

Then Cofax for an amazing strawberry crunch donut.

5 Likes

L’Assiette (Los Angeles)
Hit up the truffle menu with a friend tonight. Service was attentive, though a bit slow. However, I believe that they wanted us to enjoy a leisurely meal more than anything else. The restaurant was half full the entire time we were there.
Opening with a nice Lillet for an aperitif.

The pan-seared foie came with a cherries and port sauce. Salty, sweet…unctuous.

Smoked trout pâté with avocado, chicharrones, avocado, artichoke heart, potato, crême fraiche and tomago. Surprisingly good.

The sorrel soup is divine. I can’t not order it.

Serving #1 with the black truffle sauce. It smelled so good! The steaks are so well cooked here.

Serving #2…it doesn’t even look like I ate the first serving. Those fresh frites are amazing!

Had a glass of the house Côtes du Rhone with dinner. It was a pleasant dinner. I still don’t know how they manage to keep this place open since the deal is so great. Truffle menu $50 per person (foie $10 surcharge). The regular menu is now $28…up $3 since my last visit. The owner walked around and greeted each table like he always does every time I come in.

7 Likes

Finally made it to Charcoal in Venice. The two of us had the lamb ribs, lamb tartare, grilled short rib, duck, pave beef and ribeye, finished with the banana smores.

Really liked everything here. Although the lamb tartare didn’t blow me away. It was a little bland to me and I didn’t care for the ratio of the other ingredients such as the pine nuts. Loved the texture of the meat prep though. Will have to try the beef and bison on next visits…

The rest of the meats were so good with the standout being the aged duck. Loved the intensity of the duck flavor, the nice crispness of the skin and fat.

$214 before tip. That’s with no alcohol or any other dishes, just the ones listed above. We thought it was fair pricing for the quality and portion sizes.

A couple of pics but it was dark and I don’t like using a flash in a dark restaurant, most of my pics didn’t come out that well.

lamb tartare

lamb ribs

Ribeye

Pave of beef

8 Likes

HI @Jase,

Nice! Thanks for the report. :slight_smile:

After I read your comment on the crispy Duck, I wanted to see the pic, only to find out you didn’t have one. :frowning: LOL. I can’t wait to go. Thanks.

The last 2 pics look so mouthwatering… ::sigh::

1 Like

Mexican BBQ in Chapel Hill, NC

Mexican seasoning marinated for 24 hours. Smoked over hickory and some cedar.

This is 1 hour line at GCM kind of thing.

6 Likes

Sounds and looks great - how was it?

Sorry, write up here:

2 Likes

##Mori
OOE omakase #oneofeverything
The giant clam was so raw it jumped off the shari and tried to eat my gari

##Tsujita
Dessert

7 Likes

That would be a killer slideshow as your desktop background. Just a suggestion. :wink:

3 Likes

Those pictures look amazing. What phone/camera? @PorkyBelly

1 Like

Thanks, galaxy s6 with good lighting