May 2016 Weekend Rundown

@wienermobile nice!

How was the soft shell crab? :slight_smile:

Wienermobile -

Stop it. Stop it! So jealous.

I saw the pic and thought “Wow, those are great looking dumplings. Kind of eastern european looking. Wonder where can I get those in LA?”

Well, glad you had them : )

1 Like

It’s good to be back in L.A.

The weekend starts on Thursday night, when I joined @CiaoBob and @kevin for an exquisite meal at Giorgio Baldi, where we graced Miss Taylor Swift with our presence as she dined with her brother at the next table…

Friday work lunch was Pacific Dining Car, where I had my “usual” clam chowder, medium rare steak Oscar (asparagus, crabmeat), sides of creamed spinach and corn, followed by an outstanding strawberry shortcake. Always old school, professional servers at PDC - A real treat…

I had a jonesin’ for a milkshake on Friday night, so I made haste to Honeymee for the cookies & cream shake…

Saturday was Hawaiian for lunch at Maui Chicken in Torrance, for their excellent garlic shrimp bowl, with an okay chicken plate…

Dessert after lunch consisted of Krispy Kreme (which was nearby), and while there I re-lived the magic and became hypnotized by the converyor belt cranking out endlessly beautiful glazed doughnuts…

Dinner Saturday night was takeout from Slicetruck (which, FYI, had recently moved from its Sawtelle location, and is now near the corner of Bundy & Santa Monica Blvd.) - Pretty good slices, but I still like Joe’s better…

Sunday lunch was a bowl of the koku extra chashu ramen at Tatsunoya in Pasadena, followed by the new Mother Moo location in South Pasadena - their cornflake ice cream is super…

Lodge Bread pizza night was the next stop - their crust game is undeniably strong, but I thought the toppings needed a bit of tweaking on this particular occasion…

Dinner #2 was Restaurant 2117 for an outstanding pesto Sawtellini with squid…

13 Likes

Hi @J_L,

Nice weekend! :slight_smile: What do you recommend ordering at Giorgi Baldi?

That ramen at Tatsunoya looks incredible. Thanks for the reminder to go back. :slight_smile: How was it? Thanks.

The New Firestone-Walker in Venice. Pork Belly Carnitas, Fish & Chips and Smoked Brisket Pizza. Pretty good food and beer. Very busy. Nice addition to Venice neighborhood.

6 Likes

Believe me i’ve tried. The few places i’ve found Pierogis in LA they cook them till they taste like baseballs. These’s are soft and delicate. The search continues…

Wonderful. Not too much batter yet still crispy. Highly recommend Dudley Market.

No pics this weekend, but tried Cardamom, in the old India’s Oven space on Beverly, for the first time since they opened. (I ate at I-O from the time they were at Pico/Fairfax, until they went completely off the rails about 5 years ago…)

VERY tasty, although service was, ahem, leisurely, so I assume they were cooking lots of stuff from scratch. Tandoori Chicken tikka was NOT colored the usual bright red, which is perfectly fine, and was VERY good; fish curry appropriately spicy, without knocking over the two more gringo-ish diners.

I do however want to A-B compare their food against “Curry King” in Atwater, but not using their respective delivery services (the Yelp downgrade reviews for Cardamom seem to be based largely on delivery issues, which plagued I-O for decades as well…)

Last night, having hit the Pasadena Bristol Farms for duck breast, I made medium-rare duck breast with sour cherry/Pinot sauce for the Woman In The Hat, which made her pretty darn happy… Didn’t take a pic of that, either…

3 Likes

##Gjusta
Gprime rib
Gbrisket banh mi
Gcarrot cake

9 Likes

Glook Gat Gthe Gtexture Gof Gthat Gbread - Gmouth-Gshreddingly Ggood! G;) Gdoes Gsomeone Ghave Ga Gcarrot Gcake Gfetish?

3 Likes

It was pretty good. The broth wasn’t as complex as I thought it would be. Chashu was a tad too firm for my liking as well.

Upside: Good noodles and ajitama. Also, service was quick (as a ramen-ya’s should be). Ramen is Japan’s version of fast food (translation: You order, you eat, you leave). If you wanna linger, while away your day/night at an izakaya, not a ramen-ya.

2 Likes

Dat Lyfe.

1 Like

Daughter and wife were hankerin’ for “some” lamb skewers. We were already out in the Pasadena area so we drove our Westside-biased asses to Cui Hua Lou on Garvey in Monterey Park. Left the ordering to my wife since she’s the Mandarin speaker. Kinda disappointed when I saw only “some” skewers in our order. Other tables had dozens! Also ordered hot sour soup, pork belly with chile and leeks, and beef roll/sandwich.

Turns out the quantity was fine. Daughter had only one and I loaded up on pork belly. The beef roll/sandwich was eh.

7 Likes

1 Like

“I’ll have what Rihanna is having.”

1 Like

Sigh.

I am by Polka restaurant but the reviews of the perogies are not light.

And I know I could learn to make them but wow, I would so love to be able to just go somewhere when I was in the mood and - magic.

1 Like

Forgot to post Mom’s day weekend lunch at Newport Seafood in San Gabriel. Original plan was to hit Sea Harbour parking lot at 0930 for dim sum, but changed gears on the 10 fwy, enjoyed some drinks and cakes at Oh My Pan and headed to Newport instead. They opened at 1130 - we got there at 1040. Line was already 50-60 deep. By 1130, the line was running from along the front of the bldg toward the back of the lot, then back toward Las Tunas past the valet.

Only took one picture - of the house special lobster - but we also had the geoduck clam two ways (sashimi and deep-fried), kung pao chicken, beef loc lac and sauteed pea sprouts. Everything was delicious as usual except the lobster didn’t have as much roe as I recall in previous visits.

Will have to give the BH Newport a try. Been kinda gun-shy to go here but since some very trusted folks have mentioned that the lobster is on par with the SGV unit, I’m game.

6 Likes

Oh, so sorry to hear that India’s Oven has closed (although even more sorry to hear it went downhill!). First place I had Indian in the U.S.

Thanks for the report for the new place. Glad it sounds pretty good.

1 Like

No pics of the geoduck?! For shame… :wink:

I was lucky to get a pic of the lobster. Only took the pic to send to a friend in NYC who really enjoyed this lobster on her last visit.