May 2019 Weekend Rundown

LA Magazine Burgers & Bourbon Event at The Bloc… Belcampo Lamb burger was amazing…

3 Likes

Tacos Don Goyo (Downey)
Gotta love tiny joints that make their own tortillas. I am a sucker for crispy, griddled cheese so picking the quesataco option was a no brainer. They have a proper trompo for their al pastor and there are pieces of perfectly ripe pineapple to top the taco…I adore that some of the al pastor was dried out and crispy. I was most particularly impressed with the al pastor and the lengua taco…lengua was braised and reminded me of a good cabeza. The asada was a bust…dry, needed seasoning, but had a nice smokey flavor…but I’ve grown accustomed to mesquite-grilled asada now. All-in-all it was a good lunch for about $7. Would have been cheaper if I had just stuck to queso-less tacos. They also do quesadillas, mulitas, and fries. The loaded fries being the most expensive item at $7.50.

Edited to reflect L.A. Taco article from October 2018. Saw it reposted on Twitter today.

9 Likes

Fried Chicken Thigh, Tender, Wing
Not very good this time around. It was like eating baked chicken. Almost 0 crisp or crunch.

Bacon and Chive Scone

Forgot to take a picture of my coconut cream tart before I devoured it =/

3 Likes

Sucked ass when I went.

They were better when I went the past 2 times

Have you tried Mariscos Los Plebes, down the street on Rosemead from Don Goyo?

They have this crazy dish with shrimp and this quasi-mojo potatoes and some housemade salsa that’s just ridiculously good.

2 Likes

Thanks, @ipsedixit…I have not heard about Mariscos Los Plebes. Going to bookmark it for next time. Thanks!

I’m sure others have known about it, but I’ve driven by Aroma Cafe (which serves Balkan / Serbian food) many times and not given it a second thought. Decided to try out the food and enjoyed it so much that I went again that same week. They make really nice “burgers”.

Greek salad

Shish kebab

Their specialty - a “gourmet pljeskavica” or beef patty. I guess J Gold included this in an old article on his fave LA burgers. And yes, that’s a full size dinner plate that it’s sitting on! Really well seasoned/spiced, and really moist inside but with a bit of texture

Shake shack roadside burger - I like their shack burgers, but this was a little too much meat, cheese, and bacon richness without any veggie brightness to provide relief

Like @A5KOBE, I am a huge fan of Hi Ho burger. My go to now is the double Hiho cheeseburger with one slice of cheese (two makes it too salty for me - I actually do this at In n Out as well and far double-singles). I actually personally like the fries - just slightly crispy enough on the outside but soft inside and lots of oil fragrance!

Their three desserts are all good, but this time we particularly enjoyed the banana cream pie (also had a key lime pie but no pic). They make a great pie crust - it’s buttery and slightly savory.

Sushi Tsujita bara- chirashi basic lunch

Dessert :wink:

Sushi Tsujita bara- chirashi premium (different lunch)

Didn’t go as crazy on dessert this time

Went to Ji Rong for mother’s day, and this is the best Peking duck I’ve had in LA. The skin was crispy, but had an airiness to it and a little bit of chew. Are there any other places folks recommend that are comparable or better? I’ve been to Peking Duck House and of course tried most of the large Cantonese restaurants.

Stewed pork - so good and decadent. We finished the meat but still packed the sauce to go.

Taro and fungus dessert - this was a bit weird in that we could taste duck in the dessert. They insisted the dish was vegetarian, so I wonder if the container used for this still had residual layers of duck fat or something.

All of you guys (and gals) are at fault for this next pic :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13 Likes

Dishwashing fail, I suspect. Yikes.

1 Like

Gjusta

Veggies - all were good but the asparagus was particularly unique in flavor.

Banh Mi Americano

Porchetta Butcher w/ Extra Horseradish :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Loved the liquid pork bath :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Nata - really good, if this was served warm it might be amazing. The crust hardened a little too much but fresh, the texture probably would have been a bit flakier.

8 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

! Gjusta is making their version of Portuguese Egg Tarts?! :open_mouth: Make sure you send this out in our FTC Gjusta Club Newsletter. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: Can’t wait to try it.

1 Like

Of course Gjusta’s version is non traditional, it was not as rich and the flavor similar but different, but really good nonetheless.

Oh yeah, are officially selling wine and corkage is $20 if BYO.

I had the nata the other week and that’s one thing at gjusta that I was not imprrsssed with.

Had a great Cantonese meal the other day at ho kee cafe—despite @Chowseeker1999 bad experience with the roast duck, ours was one of the best we had in a long while, skin wasn’t wrinkly and wet but crisp and meat was super juicy flavorful. The wonton egg noodle soup was also excellent .

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxnY8TlhNa8/?igshid=cy0yucis8t5i

7 Likes

Excellent lamb burger at Belcampo SaMo!

5 Likes

I assume you mean the Aroma Cafe on Overland (https://www.aromacafe.la) and NOT the Aroma Cafe in NoHo, yes?

I’ve also driven by the place and looked at the menu but have never stopped by. Might have to change that soon… :slight_smile:

Dog Haus.

Corn dog / downtown dog

6 Likes

Damn, that corn dog. That looks really good!!

Very legit. I prefer it over Disneyland fwiw.

1 Like

Yes the one on Overland! It seems pretty legitimately authentic because every time I go, I hear a bunch of guests speaking what has to be the Serbian language. I liked anything they had with their bread (sandwiches, the “burger”, the cevapi- sausage sandwich).

1 Like