May 2020 Rundown

Here’s an article regarding sweet and sour pork, it’s used to see a Cantonese chef’s skill written by the late, great J Gold.

8 Likes

Here is a good video with Adam Liaw making sweet and sour pork, How To Make Sweet & Sour Pork | Plus: How To Cut A Whole Pineapple | Easy Chinese Recipes - YouTube

3 Likes

We are fortunate enough to have a branch of Paik’s Noodle (aka Hong Kong Banjum Paik" up here in Santa Clara

Here’s the dish you are referring to which is from there: ttangsuyuk (next to the Jaengban Jajjang) which literally appears to be the direct translation from Chinese (and sounds similar to) 糖醋肉 (sugar vinegar pork).

The texture of this fried pork reminds me of a properly done salt pepper squid in Hong Kong.

4 Likes

Great! So I can treat it as an appetizer then? I can order a different item as my entree :laughing:

Such an FTC response. Love it. Bring somebody else with you if possible so you can also split the jjamppong and jjajjangmyeon.

@beefnoguy They added a few new items to the menu at Paik’s Noodle in Buena Park. Wings, pork dumplings and bokkemmyeon (pan fried noodles with choice of protein). Not sure if these have made their way up north.

2 Likes

Hilarious…the one that generated the most discussion and the most relatable is the humble SSP :rofl: I haven’t been back to Paik since I stopped working in the area. Seafood jjampong was always my go to there. The items you mentioned were “coming soon”, I think at the time.

We have a Japanese Chinese restaurant up here (Yu-Rakku) that does the rendition of su-buta which is a touch more vinegar forward (probably the closest thing to the style found in Japan), and it commands a pairing with an frosty Japanese nama beer like Suntory draft

Likely and hopefully will show up sometime in the June 2020 Rundown thread in a takeout box…

2 Likes

Putting other criteria aside, it’s difficult to find one here without the pork swimming in sauce!

1 Like

I’d say almost any Chinese Korean restaurant in LA you go to will serve the sauce separately from the meat. You can also order pork or beef. We’ve been doing this for decades in Flushing and LA.

1 Like

Oh, that won’t be a problem. Wife and I usually order a lot at places since we love leftovers for lunch and having a variety of dishes during meals. Depending on size of the table, we sometimes have to request a four top even if the waiter is dubious. Then we start ordering and you see the light come on :rofl:

Do you have any favorites for places that serve it this way?

Sometimes the thread drifts are so much fun. And all because it’s a guilty pleasure.

3 Likes

Since I’m used to the Cantonese SSP, I prefer to see the pork come precisely dressed much like how nikiri is applied to each piece of nigiri by your itamae when it comes to omakase. After all, dressing SSP correctly takes skills and needs to happen in a wok.

3 Likes

All Day Baby -
Had their wedge salad for lunch on (yesterday) Sunday…they were in my pick-up adventure on Saturday afternoon prior to all the calamity that ensued.
I don’t keep blue cheese on hand because I’m the only person in my house that eats it. So ADB’s wedge was a great salad option for me to try. It is LOADED with chopped bacon and blue cheese. The perfectly poached (and super jammy) egg was great. It’s a super simple salad just done very well and a very generous serving…I almost considered skipping dinner. If you’re a wedge salad fan or want something green while you’re at ADB, it would be a very good choice

6 Likes