May 2020 Rundown

That is the only reason I’ve been hesitant to go to Antico or Bulgarini. Seems a bit much given what’s going on but all these pictures and reviews are increasing my FOMO. On the other hand if you took a family for four to an ice cream shop you might spend that much money for the same amount of actual ice cream/gelato.

3 Likes

People splurge on all kinds of things, mine happens to be ice cream (for now) and food. To me, they’re worth it.
Enjoy what you enjoy.

11 Likes

Not to get too off topic, but that’s sort of what I think, too. A scoop of gelato in Italy is, what, maybe 2-6 Euro? Let’s say you can get 4 scoops from a pint. The cost of Antico is then on the higher end, but not outrageous.

Leo’s pistachio is very expensive, but it’s also the most expensive flavor he sells, right? So… ::shrug::

Ahem.

1 Like

not just pistachio

4 Likes

Leo sources his pistachios from Sicily, and only Sicily. In years past, without fail, he has physically made the annual trek there to see if the crop that year is up to his snuff. Only when he is satisfied, then he’ll pay for shipping the crop back to Altadena. Leo is fully aware that Bulgarini’s pistachio gelato is his biggest moneymaker. But if on a certain year he doesn’t think the pistachios are good enough, he won’t hesitate to skip making the pistachio gelato for the time being - Such is his passion and commitment to quality.

So yeah, I’ll pay for his stuff.

9 Likes
4 Likes

Speaking of…

this is what ~$60 of gelato looks like.

15 Likes

:slight_smile: That article and the Italy import anecdote certainly substantiate why it’s so expensive. I’m in no way implying it’s price gouging. Also, I realize I’m a complete hypocrite because I’ll pay in excess of $100 for a bottle of whiskey and the same can be said of that silliness… We all have our vices.
Vice cream.

10 Likes

A true gelato shonkunin!

For what it’s worth a pint of Macro Polo Italian Ice Cream in SF for durian (most expensive flavor), last I recall it was $18, could be more. Durian lovers will think that’s the ultimate most best flavor as it is pretty intense.

Still peanuts compared to the pistachio at Leo’s. You can’t measure heavenly taste with a price tag at times, especially when you know what went into it from sourcing to craftsmanship.

7 Likes

$10 pizza Tuesdays from All’Acqua in Atwater Village. Crazy good QPR. The Maiale pie with fennel sausage and onions is a 10/10.

8 Likes

Uni for scale?

10 Likes

I’d be interested what everyone’s plans for Mother’s Day this weekend. I’ve been asked…and I really don’t know. The takeout adventures have allowed me to try a bunch of different things recently. I saw Republiqué’s meal, but the fam doesn’t really do cheese (brie), creme fraîche, or cheesecake. Hard sell for them. I know…you can’t choose the ones you love.

3 Likes

Tacos and paella from holbox?
Biscuits, bacon, french toast, and fried chicken and at mb post?

2 Likes

Hot damn! MBPost sold out. I’d have gone for that if it was available. Holbox is a terrific idea…the paella…I’m tacoed out from today.

1 Like

Euro-Mother’s Day was last weekend. We went Uyghur and bought a piping hot Big Plate of Chicken from Omar’s Kitchen (Artesia). Get extra noodles - They are full of ‘Q’ and soak up that rich chicken broth with a kick like a sponge. Three days later, I am STILL immensely enjoying my Big Bowl of (leftover) Chicken… Yum!

10 Likes

Speaking of, anyone got a suggestion for Mother’s Day sushi?

That looks great!

1 Like

Doing sushi as well Saturday night as this is what the mother/wife requested. Since we live in the middle of no where our best option is Sushi Noguchi. They did a nice job for takeout last weekend.

I posted this topic the other day but on the wrong board. I’ve only been on FTC for like 4-5 years.

3 Likes

True, I’ve been married to a lovely woman who won’t eat mushrooms or clams for almost 32 years.

3 Likes

All things being equal do you prefer it over Sushi Ohshima? Looks like they are closed right now but we had a very nice Omakase meal there last year.