May 2020 Rundown

Lincoln Carson and Eric Bost on The Dave Chang Show

2 Likes

Me picturing @A5KOBE

11 Likes

Def on my list to check out! Have a lot of respect for DC being so out front and out spoken.

1 Like

Just listened. Very powerful. Everyone should listen.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Jean Marc Brocard Chablis 2018. Under $20 at Costco and it’s appetizing and refreshingly bright.

Oakland’s Soba Ichi sells their in house made soba raw to go to cook at home, along with seared duck breast. Super divine with a Tatsuriki Tokubetsu Junmai

Ranzan, a kaiseki restaurant, recently offered Japanese saba bousushi, Kansai style with bamboo leaf wrap imported from Kyoto. The rice is seasoned kaiseki style (takigomi gohan) and it blows away any Saba Battera / oshizushi from previous offerings by other restaurants in the past, although a very different variation. Needless to say this sold out very fast.

14 Likes

Hi @beefnoguy,

Looks wonderful. :slight_smile: How’s Ranzan normally? I haven’t heard you mention it much. Thanks.

Never mentioned it because you guys have Hayato.

1 Like

Chef Wolfgang Puck’s Spago has always proudly hoisted the banner for California and its inventive fusion fare. That’s why during this era of take-out, it was a surprise (and yet also quite natural) to see the kitchen here try its hand at an original Californian style of cooking: The Santa Maria, Central Coast-style BBQ.

Ordering and pick-up from Spago were easy, with safety in mind. The street closures were frankly the biggest hurdle to overcome (one must approach the restaurant now from the north, as its southern access from Wilshire Boulevard has temporarily been blocked off for current ongoing Metro construction work).

… and the how was the ‘Q from the hills of Beverly, you ask?

It was friggin’ delicious.

The kitchen went very traditional in adhering to the details of the Central Coast style. Ingredients were thoughtfully sourced from California as much as possible. Meats consisted of Snake River Farms tri-tip, housemade applewood smoked linguiça sausage and Jidori chicken, all grilled over California red oak embers. Soulful, juicy and smoky, the barbecue from Spago on this day ranks right up there with any of the dedicated ‘Q joints in this city.

A lovely green salad using Scarborough Farms herbs, tangerines, avocado, balsamic vinaigrette and shaved pecorino was included in the order. Side dishes included hearth-cooked Pinquito beans, salsa cruda, charred jalapenos, Sacramento Delta asparagus with provençal olive oil, fleur de sel, and sweet pickles. A grilled sourdough French roll with caramelized garlic and rosemary provided a really satisfying starchy base.

Dessert was a scrumptious cherry and peach cobbler with toasted almonds and fresh whipped cream.

Though this Central Coast BBQ night was supposed to be a one-off, I truly hope team Spago offers this again, and very soon! #LAtakeoutrenaissance #TheCalifornians

22 Likes

Wow! It looks so good!

2 Likes

Chicken Thigh Tagine from Bavel @ Home

Wonderful

11 Likes

I had this last night too.

Looks like they’ve already scheduled a repeat for next Thursday.

5 Likes

After reading how much @chewchow liked her meal from there, I keep meaning to take a peek to order. Your post is another reminder…

1 Like

Sells out pretty fast. Gotta be on the ball for Bavel/bestia to this day.

1 Like

Bleh! Yes, sold out. Well, we’ll see what they’ve got for next week… Does Bavel post the new menu on Monday?

Saturday. I would try and book by Sunday. Even that might be risky. But honestly you reheat anyway. So if you had to pick up at the earlier slots it’s fine.

2 Likes

Poorly photographed and plated comfort food from Emporium Thai earlier this week:

Pad thai, pad see ew, massaman curry. We normally get one of their Southern curries, but the massaman was quite good.

4 Likes

How’s the QPR? Looked at the menu not too long ago, and the prices seemed a little high. Do you think the quality warrants it?

Coworker ordered Howlin’ Rays. Our shops about a mile away, delivery was prompt. No soggy, no steamy.

8 Likes

It’s definitely the best on the westside, so for me it’s worth it but also maybe not a weekly destination because it’s more expensive

1 Like