May 2022 Rundown

Technically correct is the best kind of correct

5 Likes

Exactly.

I once ordered a semifreddo for dessert at an Italian restaurant and they brought me a wedge of American layer cake straight out of the refrigerator.

This is the best joke lol

1 Like

Bar Moruno has a menu best described as unorthodox Spanish-Provençal-esque…

You are :100: right. I wouldn’t mind the chefy versions so much if you could get a proper one easier

Except that that macaroni and cheese looks terrible and the roasted cherry tomatoes on toast look delicious.

Causita

I’ve always liked Peruvian food and, specifically, Chef Zarate’s food. We went for my friend’s birthday and were not disappointed. Everything was good to great, though maybe not as revelatory as when I was initially introduced to him in the glorified/glorious food court that is Mercado de Paloma. The price tag was reasonable, given that everything is a bit higher these days. Steak (not pictured), at $60, was the best QPR. Service was good and the back patio is wonderfully chill for a group of (older) friends to catch up without shouting.

13 Likes

I ordered fried chicken and they gave me this, which is technically correct.

10 Likes

That’s actually baked chicken. Give it a few tabs of acid for fried chicken.

24 Likes

Pasta Sisters (Culver City)

I want to know how this pasta is so perfect for this reasonable price? Texture, chew is just so good!

First time having the bottarga sauce…I really enjoyed having this plate of ocean pasta.

22 Likes

Burger She Wrote

Smash Burger

Like the thick pickles. Looks crispier than it was. But quite tasty. Wagyu? So thin you’d never know the difference so to me it’s just a sales gimmick. Ketchup, mustard and diced fresh onions. The cheese is much more noticeable than on the Oklahoma burger. Bun is nicely grilled on the cut side.

Oklahoma Burger

They smash the burger into the grilled onions. Same condiments as on the smash burger (except no diced onions).

Had trouble Choosing which burger I liked better.

I have to say, I think I still prefer Burgers Never Say Die, for the gloriously crispy edges. I have yet to try Goldburgers or some of the other places around town.

Fries are fresh cut. Remind me of in-n-out only shoestring. Nice and salty.

Had to bang this with…
Cake Monkey

Not photographed is my blueberry like Pop Tart (edit: actually it is photographed above with all the other pop tart like desserts.), nor the chocolate babka which is pretty damn good.

Coconut cake was for wifey.

21 Likes

Anyone go to eatscon?

Oysters and crab Louie salad from L&E Oyster Bar

12 Likes

OK, this Whole Foods in Thousand Oaks did not have the bacon bar. However they did have the backstroke swimming ham.

WTF? Other than being pork, this is the complete opposite of the bacon bar.

7 Likes

I used to love going to L&E for brunch. It’s a shame they got rid of it.

1 Like

Semi food related but Stranger Things, Kenobi, Top Gun, Jurassic Park, all in one day. What to eat?

3 Likes

Don’t forget this!!! It’s Ron Howard Directed and is 100% on RT.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdLtADTL6bZ/

We are actually going out to eat tonight because that is what we do. But for the rest of the weekend I love my glass microwave popcorn maker, melted french butter and Penzeys cheese sprinkle…

9 Likes

Aww yeah I heard about that. Also new sesson of Who’s Feeding Phil.

Meth? Don’t know how you’re going to stay awake otherwise.

6 Likes

Sushi Nakazawa omakase pop-up at The Peninsula Beverly Hills ($325pp)…

You heard it here first: Team Nakazawa plans to open their first West Coast location in BHPO later this year (near The Ivy). Lots of built-in competition are located nearby (SGO, Tama, Yasu) - Only time will tell how the NY brand will fare here…

7 Likes