May 2023 Rundown

Looks like it was 2018.

https://www.birrieriasanmarcos.com/aboutus

I’m honored:-)

1 Like
2 Likes

It was really good. I tried two queso tacos and a cup of consome. The consome put the tacos over the top! Thanks for the tip!!

1 Like

Glad to hear!! Which location?

1 Like

Hazeltine off Oxnard.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Funke - Beverly Hills

My post about my visit to Funke (in May) was moved to another thread by the Mod. I’ve flagged for it to be re-included in the May Rundown thread.

1 Like

It’ll be more visible to more people in the Funke topic. Why do you care?

I,as the author of that post, intended for my contribution to appear on the May Rundown thread, as it is a relevant May 2023 experience.

8 Likes

Funke (Beverly Hills)… Food and vibes are great. Good pacing of the food. The service is joyful, professional and knowledgeable. The team is to be commended.

Rooftop access involves going through their IG tunnel (nice placement)…

Lovely rooftop bar and open air vibes while waiting for our table. Mixology was solid…

Sfincione Palermitano… Airy and delicious, this is pan pizza which has achieved enlightenment. And I mean that in the most laudatory of manners.

Pizze Amalfitana… Tons of people recommended this one, but I gotta say this was a rare miss for me. No subtlety. Bitter, and just too overpowering. The dough is faultless, though, and that is a redeeming factor here. It should me mentioned that the Torino cocktail (partially pictured here) is worth trying. Single source coffee + bourbon = thoughtful, smooth sips with an intoxicating, fragrant finish…

Linguine alle Vongole… Spectacular dish, in every way. Truth be told, I was not expecting this to be a huge knockout of a pasta dish, but there you have it. This is stellar. The umami pervades every glorious millimeter of this gloriously cooked pasta. You could take all the juicy clams (and there are a lot of clams here, folks) off the plate and just enjoy the linguine alone, and you’d still be a happy camper. My Funke highlight of the night.

Dessert highlight: Crostata di Mirtilli… Served at a perfect temperature, the puff pastry, Sicilian almonds and cream di bergamotto proved to be more complex than a dessert needed to be, but in a most welcome way…

23 Likes

Guess where I moved too?

19 Likes

14 Likes

Bonus points if you can name the places. Big hint this area of LA has lots of bruddah’s and obachan’s.

Turns out I forgot to update the latest iOS lol

Oh yeah

20 Likes

You’re back!!!

I assume first pic is Carlos Tendon, so I would’ve said South Bay. But then I’m seeing the Needle menu?

6 Likes

Welcome back and Torrance/ Gardena!

6 Likes

Sushi Yuen Lunch Omakase.
At $70 (There was crab handroll at the end of the meal wich I missed. Shiro Ebi was the extra order.) this was the steal of the year! Highly doubt the bargain will last. Fresh wasabi and decent Bafun uni at that price…

14 Likes

Yuen? Sounds Canto.

Welcome back to LA @JeetKuneBao

6 Likes

You guessed right neighbor! You know your South Bay.

3 Likes

Oh yeah!

16 Likes