Medan Kitchen (Indonesian) - Rosemead

Legit! & right in the heart of SGV

Don’t sleep on the sundries section to load up on Indon hot sauces, kecap manis cap bango etc

11 Likes

Thanks for the intel @Sgee !!

Been eyeing this place for a while -looking forward to picking up dishes with anchovies :fish: and peanuts :peanuts:

Impressed by the fact the auntie insists on cooking it all by herself b/c she doesn’t want the taste to change.

Indo grocery newbie here, do you have and brands to rec for kecap manis and sambal :hot_pepper: sauces?

2 Likes

Love this place. Go early as a lot of packaged stuff sells out.

3 Likes

These 3 are popular favorites from Kokita brand. Oelek is a basic sambal, Terasi contains dried shrimp, bajak contains tomatoes and onions. My favorite must have is the bajak.

Since 1928

I picked up a bottle of this too but with the addition of salted catfish cubes. Tasty but a bit of a pricing landmine @ $12. Admittedly I was too giddy with excitement by the wide selection of sauces and neglected to check prices.

4 Likes

Their house sambal is like crack!

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this @Sgee ! I stopped by yesterday just before 12pm and the place was packed. They have so many different meals and prepared food items. The coconut rice set and the nasi bungkus were excellent. The fried potato sticks and peanuts added even more multidimensional flavor and texture and the sambal is delicious. The fragrant coconut rice is absolutely delicious soaked in the sambal.

The nasi bungkus was already warm but be sure to reheat the food you want to eat there with their microwave if it is cold.

And of course, grab a container of sambal to go and put it on everything.

@PorkyBelly or @moonboy403 a OOE here would be equivalent to hiking Mt Everest barefoot.

8 Likes

Glad you liked it @A5KOBE! Yeah their takeout selection is huge.

I see you got the nasi bungkus with the stink bean :wink:

2 Likes

Yup, delicious!

1 Like

Been using the Sambal Bajak sauce recommended by @Sgee since last year. Love the rich taste and the umami funk from the shrimp paste. The flavor and aromas are much more complex than sriracha and chili garlic sauce.

Finally opened up the small bottle of Bango sauce tonight- another rec by @Sgee

It’s still too hot for me to drive to SGV so I made a sheet pan version of chicken sate using Ayam’s Malaysian sate sauce [from a can and cooked it with coconut cream] and Bango sauce to finish.

Question: Do I need to refrigerate Bango sauce? Been keeping my Sambal Bajak in the fridge since last year.

2 Likes

Belated thanks for the rec for MK’s homemade Sambal. :pray:

I used that over the MK’s Nasi Bungkus [edit] entrees I bought and after that, I simply pan fried TJ branzino and served it with steamed rice, cucumber and the Sambal. Amazing how it just made it into a tasty meal!

2 Likes

I’ve never refrigerated my kecap manis (bango)

What types of dishes do you use the sambal for?

1 Like

Good to know I don’t have to refrigerate Bango sauce.

As for the Sambal Bajak, I like to add a spoonful on the side as a condiment to make a simple meal of roasted chicken or pan fried fish, steamed Asian veggies (like yu choy) or broccoli, sliced cucumber and a hard boiled egg.

When I find the time, I’ll try to make Indonesian fried rice using Bango, fry an egg or two and add the Sambal Bajak on the side for taste and visual effect.

The jarred Sambal has a jammy consistency, but MK’s house Sambal is more spreadable so I also enjoyed spooning it over hot rice.

@hungryhungryhippos I also use the jarred Sambal Bajak for a buckwheat soba noodle salad with peanut sauce - the recipe from a cooking instructor used Sambal instead of sriracha.

I think Sambal would work in some dishes as a replacement for sriracha or to add :fire:. For pho or soup noodles however, I’d still rather use sriracha.

3 Likes

Thanks info is appreciated next time I get some sambal like that I’ll try it too!

1 Like