Mega Pizza & Grille

Like many of you I’m sure, I was super bummed when Zam Zam closed up shop on Washington Blvd. And I was skeptical when I heard a pizza place would be taking its place.

However, I’m pleased to report that Mega Pizza & Grille turns out to be a surprisingly worthy successor. Not on the level of Zam Zam perhaps, but certainly worth a try if you’re in the area.

Their claim to fame is the gyro pizza sandwich (#15 on the menu). They take a pizza, top it with gyro meat, veggies, yogurt sauce, and red sauce, then fold the whole thing over like a sandwich. It’s kind of a cross between a European-style doner kebab and a calzone. And it’s delicious.

The gyro meat is processed loaf, but it’s well seasoned and has lovely little crispy bits for textural contrast. The yogurt sauce is pleasantly garlicky, while the red sauce adds a little spice. The freshly baked pizza crust is nice and warm, and it pairs perfectly with the cool veggies – reminds me of the salad pizza at Abbott’s.

I’ve also tried the gyro wrap, which is excellent, but the star of the show is definitely the pizza sandwich. Both are large portions – I could easily split one of them plus a salad for lunch. If you’re looking for European-style doner – or just a damn fine gyro – I would definitely give this place a try.

Mega Pizza & Grille
11028 Washington Blvd
Culver City, CA 90232

4 Likes

A couple of years ago, there was a Mega Pizza in West Adams that was part of the Copenhagen based chain of Halal pizza joints. It was EXCELLENT, but sadly closed as it’s hard to compete in Pizza with so many cheap pizza options for the students. :stuck_out_tongue: I was happy to see this one pop up (not knowing if it was related at all) and even happier to see they also made fresh Pide!! It’s hard to find really good Pide in the area and this was wonderful, especially the crust.

I love Gyro (My current favorite is Petit Cafe in El Segundo) and am going to have to try that Gyro Sandwich!

–Dommy!

1 Like

Oh, wow, it sounds like these guys could be related! They advertise themselves as Copenhagen-style, too. And I agree, that freshly baked pide really makes the sandwich. It’s the main reason I prefer the pizza sandwich to the wrap.

I’ve also heard great things about Petit Cafe – I’ll have to give them a try!

is there any pide in the area? turkish restaurants are like hen’s teeth in these parts…

No photos?.. Is the place too dark to take shots in?

Also, anyone been to Gravlax in the same area?

tons of places run by Armenians make Ajarakan khachapuri… Adana in Reseda for example

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ajarakan+khachapuri&FORM=HDRSC2

1 Like

I have to say neither the pizza nor the gyros look good from the photos… gyros needs to look more like the meat at Cristos

You can get Pide in places around the Jewelry district. It’s not that great. I get the Manti instead.

–Dommy!

More like this poster’s too lazy;) How about you come with me next time and take them?

1 Like

Papa Cristo’s uses the same kind of processed gyro loaf, they just cut the slices thicker. I usually get the lamb sandwich.

As I say, the meat isn’t anything special at Mega Pizza. But they do a good job of crisping it up, and the overall sandwich is quite delicious. Tastes much better than you think it looks in the pictures.

going to have to disagree again. they do NOT do a good job of crisping it up. here… boiled wet dog loaf meat

compared to proper gyros… same loaf notwithstanding

If you don’t like what you see, then don’t try it. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, not the looking, and it’s silly to be so insistent based on a picture.

You’re right in general better to try for self. But…

Except in this instance you have an actual person with actual experience saying the pictures are misleading.

But your mind does seem made up about a place you’ve never been. So, I won’t try to persuade you further.

I guess your’e right. i should try it when in the area and cant eat mayura anymore… Just fusion places turn me off… gyros pizza … falafel… shawarma… what’s next… hummus sauce? … tabouli smoothie?

are you really discussion about how burnt the Kone should be ? I mean… it’s still the Kone.

1 Like

if kone is the gyros meat then yea, the level of griddling is important… maillard reaction and all

Nice writeup of Mega Pizza & Grille over on Eater LA:

4 Likes

“They should be forgiven for this very slight and insignificant misstep.”

Huh? Who should be forgiven? Prejudging them on their name? Just because they didn’t choose a name separated by, “&,” put everything in lower case or omit their name entirely from the storefront doesn’t mean they can’t bring it.

5 Likes

Ha! I feel like the author was aiming for tongue in cheek but failed badly there.

1 Like