Meizho Dongpo - the East is West

I agree. Legend is very good. Mrs. Chandavkl enjoyed Springfield MO because they paid her way and they showed us all over town. She didn’t like the food.

is no one else even bemused by the plausible scenarios that would lead to them having SPAM on hand to begin with, much less the rationale behind the substitution?

i included the SJB at kang kang as part of a food crawl for a friend from out of town. i wouldn’t order much anything else there though. and the other suggestions in the article were reasonably legit.

on this i would have to agree. i started exploring the SGV about 3 years ago averaging a new place every week. there are allegedly about what 500-600 (?) places, but i’ve started to reach critical mass in terms of the places i want to try which means i’ve visited at most maybe 25-30% of all the places out there. and that’s not counting the ones that have come and gone since 2012,.

Thank you @secretasianman
That just cracked me up as well.

you only started eating in the sgv 3 years ago or you only started exploring it in detail 3 years ago. just curious.

the latter.

for me shau may 20 years ago was about the shaved ice. i usually went to the one on san gabriel just south of las tunas.

“well, they’re white. they’ll never notice.”

o yah, I remember. I remember checking PIERS and saw that they imported containers of gauche, roaring 20s Shanghai furniture. Then I went inside and realized this was for the nouveaux “niubi” visiting LA. Of course I had to hate it. And like I said, I still kinda do. You have to.

Yes, street food is moving indoors globally, but this shit will NEVER die, not even the Communist machine can kill it:

(24/10/2015, Tianjin)

I don’t hate SN1/MZDP/HDL for having spendy decor, just that this place [SN1] is/was the most tactless thing ever, and clearly was conceived by folks who didn’t get the Xi’s anti-corruption memo. (Or they did, and decided to move money here ASAP before they were jailed and strip searched)

How do you know that they aren’t part of Xi’s inner circle?

Sorry, I just need to register my dissent. While the consensus on this board is that MZDP is an excellent restaurant (and I do see its strong points), the service problems are so serious that they directly and adversely affect the quality of the food. The last time we were there (our third visit in 12 months) they failed to bring us our rice orders for nearly an hour, despite repeated requests, until our meal was finished. Rice, for God’s sake. What kind of Chinese restaurant can’t get this right? The cuisine served at MZDP demands rice, and plenty of it. Otherwise the dishes are a spicy, salty, oily, vinegary, sugary unbalanced mess. That was just one of the complaints we had with our meal, but service has been a recurring problem. The place just isn’t ready for prime time.

It’s just hard for me to stomach the retro garish interior design.

I feel like I’ve been cast as an extra in a music video by Prince. In the 80s.

I’ve never been to the SN1 branch in SGV. The one in Shanghai has a pretty gaudy interior, however I thought the food was very good.

Frankly I’d welcome that gaudy interior in exchange for what we have here. Always feels like coming back to the dark ages dining in local Asian restaurants after a visit to the major Asian cities. They all feel like dives in comparison. I think the most aesthetically respectable joints are DTF, J.Zhou, MZDP, haidilao, maybe 1 or 2 others that escape me. Rest are dumps and service sucks too.

You guys aren’t fans of newsboy waiters and chairs fit for a king?

SN1 is gaudy but dingy. The chair pads have indents from the multitude of asses sitting in the same spot. Every time I sit in one of those booth type seats I sink into someone else’s ass indentation.

1 Like

Just remember to lift up your feet every once in a while as the lao ban niang comes by with the wet mop.

Yeah you’re right - the memory foam upholstery there does offer lots of assitude.

1 Like

Nothing like foam with too good of a memory. We Asian folks are ham-challanged - we got boney asses - that doesn’t help.

1 Like

I haven’t been yet, but they’re coming to Irvine. Looking forward to trying it out…

Irvine Marie Callender’s Closed to Make Way For Meizhou Dongpo

That parking lot is already brutal with Sam Woo and Little Sheep.

Will be a good addition though.

Yikes. Ordered some Chongqing Spicy Chicken (la zi ji) the other day at Meizhou Dongpo CC, and it was nothing like it’s been in the past. Heavily battered and dry/tough, like overcooked popcorn chicken. I think there was more batter than meat–several bites were all batter. This is a dish I’ve ordered there many times before and it’s never been like this. Hope this isn’t a sign of things to come.