Menya Tigre - new Japanese curry on Sawtelle

Menya Tigre is a new Japanese curry place on Sawtelle, in the former Menya Musashi spot. Same owner as Anzu, so I was optimistic. They have a pretty focused menu, with a few curry ramen options, curry rice plates, and bowls.

I ordered the curry tsukemen and keema pork bowl, and I enjoyed both! The keema pork bowl had a satisfying curry flavor and solid QPR at $5.25. The tsukemen dipping broth was on the mild side but coated the noodles nicely. Not the salt bomb that so many dipping broths can be. The noodles reminded me a lot of Tsujita’s, perhaps from Sun Noodle too? The weakest part was the chashu, a bit tough and bland. One really nice touch was the broth had a lot of menma in it, so you could get one with almost every bite - so many places can be so stingy with that, like literally 4 or 5 pieces.

I’d go back to try their curry rice plates.

http://www.tigre-la.com/

19 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Agree. I think @J_L and I reported this previously. It’s really a shame because otherwise the place is terrific.

1 Like

I thought I had heard Tsujita made their own noodles… Is that not so? Maybe I’m confusing them with another… Not a dig. I like sun noodles! Just good to know this stuff.

1 Like

Venice Ramen makes there own but that’s a much different style

1 Like

I thought I had read that on this board or perhaps the predecessor board but then I couldn’t find anything from a quick search … Then Google turned up this old article! So Sun Noodle certainly did at one point. I wonder if they still do as Tsujita has expanded so much since then?

1 Like