Meteora - The Gaffe of Kahn II

They use those in Undecided, a platter of shit with bits of broken glass in it.

This one? :eyes:

2 Likes

That was my experience on my early visit, possible they’ve got more proper stemware now

Wow, what a PR puff piece!

1 Like

I think Mr. T may have the same agent as Mike Tyson.

I received an email earlier this week that they are launching a Chef’s Menu program Five courses for $85. Seems to me that’s a real good deal. Will be running every weekend with different dishes Friday and Saturday through December 31. Bookings through Open Table. Most of the dates are booked up but next weekend there are some tables 8-9pm both Friday and Saturday.

1 Like

Oops forgot to update. Really enjoyed my meal there. Flavors were interesting and well put together. But the big critique is that the dishes were too deconstructed, if you didn’t get the right amount of everything the dish just didn’t work perfectly.

Also god their wine stems are terrible. After we ordered something fairly expensive off the list they broke out the big boys. Which… went from K-Mart level stemless glasses to K Mart level stemmed glasses

9 Likes

Warrior: This restaurant and Wild Living Foods are the only restaurants that matter in LA. This chef is a genius. 7.6 Warrior Points. p.s.: I disagree with others about the stemware. Fancy stemmed glasses would have been artistically inappropriate.

Peony: Very creative dishes. Excellent cooking skills. I definitely felt all the primitive and close-to-nature elements that the chef was hoping for. The flavor profiles for most of the dishes were all very new to me, so I need to think a bit more about how much do I like these creative flavors.

as the kids say “that’s cap”

If they wanted to keep the indigenous vibe going, they would have used another vessel then, cause using a POS wine glass doesn’t match anything artistic at the restaurant.

5 Likes

The stemless shape is more primitive and intuitive. I would support rock wine glasses but they were probably too hard to procure.

A picture of an ancient Roman wine glass is here. https://armchairsommelier.com/2020/10/24/a-moderately-short-history-of-stemware/

they’ve already broken the illusion

nah. they are just cheap. If they wanted to keep the vibe they could have used wooden cups. But they went with K-Mart stemless for cheap wine and K-Mart stemmed for nicer wine.

Also there’s zero relevance for roman wine glasses.

3 Likes

i have found k-mart primitive in past visits.

For consistency with the rest of the experience, they should really be blowing their own glasses from recycled jars and bottles.

3 Likes

I’ll settle for nothing less than virgin, heirloom sand. Hand blown to order.

Edit: the bizarre part is that they had custom hand made ceramics for everything from Match Stoneware. I’ve never seen wine really take a big role in any of his other places though, so maybe he just doesn’t care about that part of the experience. They didn’t even have wine available during their preview, only their cocktails.

2 Likes

their cocktail glasses are trash too. So I’m thinking they just cheaped out somewhere and it’s on alcohol. Keep them margins sky high

1 Like

Agreed on the cocktail glasses. Was your experience with the cocktails that they had almost no discernible influence from the base spirit? We found them completely flat, but maybe they’ve made adjustments since our early visit.

1 Like

Actually good descriptor. The cocktails are flat. They miss any type of lift from either acidity, sweetness, bitter etc.

2 Likes

Anyone else on here have absolutely zero desire to try this place? This and Vespertine might be the only fine dining restaurants in the city that I’d be super annoyed if a friend wanted to go. (Unless they or their employer were paying, at which point it becomes a comedic adventure)

5 Likes