Sushi Noz (new)

Sushi Yasuda

Tempura Matsui

Tuome (new)

Uncle Boons

Wallse

ZZ’s Clam Bar

1 Like

I’m particularly excited because my cousin’s cousin is part of the Uchu/Bar Uchu/Ichimura team. The entire team there is so thrilled to be able to accomplish this after opening in late 2017.

3 Likes

Nice! On my list of places to check out.

Any ‘cheap eats’?

Not surprised, I had an excellent dinner back in January

1 Like

Uncle Boon, Jeju Noodle, Cafe China

Thanks sincerely.

A little surprised that Shoji didn’t get any stars. Certainly in the same league as all the other sushi new-comers and arguably better.

Shoji’s chef was hired permanently only in June, which was probably past Michelin’s cutoff for this year’s guide.

Not necessarily better than all the newcomers however certainly much better than yasuda, inoue, satsuki and worthy of a * by NYC rating standards.

good point

Yes, “best” is a wrong choice of word without qualification. I would arugue that Shoji’s product sourcing is among the best in NY. The kaiseki/kappo influence of the courses preceding the nigiri almost steals the show, and makes this a place I try to return to frequently.

Not sure if this is right for here, but is sushi generally trendy or just with the FTC crowd.

To me, it’s just something I eat regularly because I like it. Poke is trendy (in Manhattan, not in Hawaii). Sushi is a longtime component of the culinary landscape.

I’ve never had the “good stuff.” Isn’t it really expensive? Ah well this is OT. But thanks.

I’m not a sushi high roller, although I’d like to (have enough money to) be. I can manage - upper intermediate? - like 15 East, and Kanoyama, and Sushi Dojo.

1 Like

In the US, Michelin mostly gives two or three stars only to French, French-influenced, and Japanese restaurants.

How interesting. Thanks for that, r.